Chaos Codex Thoughts

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Re: Chaos Codex Thoughts

Postby OtherGary » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:39 pm

For Heldrake's: doesn't Vector Strike negate the use of one Shooting Weapon in the model's subsequent Shooting Phase? So, wouldn't the 'drake have to choose between Vector Striking or Shooting in a single turn? If so, then I'll most likely give up on coming up with conversion ideas for them and focus on other CSM Fast Attacks.
OtherGary

Postby elrodogg » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:43 pm

OtherGary wrote:For Heldrake's: doesn't Vector Strike negate the use of one Shooting Weapon in the model's subsequent Shooting Phase? So, wouldn't the 'drake have to choose between Vector Striking or Shooting in a single turn?

I believe fliers can shoot four weapons a turn.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby WickerNipple » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:18 pm

Flyers can shoot 4 weapons a turn when Zooming, not when Hovering.

However since you can only Vector Strike while Zooming that's a complete non-issue.
WickerNipple

Postby OtherGary » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:58 pm

But a Heldrake only has one weapon, so then I should interpret that then as Vector Striking only taking away one of the four chances to use its one gun?!?!
OtherGary

Postby WickerNipple » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Nono, it's fine. You can fire each weapon once, to a total of four shots.

Vector Strike counts as one shot, it doesn't count as one use of the Baleflamer or whatever.

You may absolutely do both in the same turn.
WickerNipple

Postby OtherGary » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:05 pm

I'm sorry to keep beating this to death, I haven't played a game of 6th yet or a game of 40k in a while, so I'm much rusty on the rules. Andy, I see what you're saying and can't say that I'm still a little confused by it. IMO I think it's one of those things that needs a FAQ clarification because the way I initially read the vector strike rule is that one gun or type of gun is fired regardless of how many shots it can shoot. So if a flyer has a second or third gun, then it can use those just fine. But by the current interpretation that everyone seems to be using, Zooming a flyer can allow you to use one gun 4 times or in essence turning a Heavy 1 gun into a Heavy 4 gun?!?!?!

So then VSing costing only one shot (or chance to use/same thing) of a gun would then just for example turn a Heavy Bolter into a Heavy 2 gun from a Heavy 3 because you used up a shot of its 3 shots, and in the case of the Heldrake the Hades cannon essentially broils down to a Heavy 16 gun and Bale becomes a Heavy 4 flamer if the drake zooms and doesn't VS, right? While I can't say that the additional firepower is awesome, it just seems all sorts of wrong to me. Oh well, I guess the Heldrake conversion is back on my drawing boards again. Thanks for your patience, Andy and everyone.
OtherGary

Postby elrodogg » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:00 pm

You are overthinking it. Vector strike counts as one weapon. Meaning that while zooming you can't vector strike and fire four more guns. You can however vector and fire three, but chaos heldrakes don't have three just one, so you vector and fire the one.
elrodogg

Postby OtherGary » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:27 pm

So by Vector Striking, the Heldrake itself becomes a gun/weapon. OK, no more on this subject from me.
OtherGary

Chaos Codex Thoughts

Postby elrodogg » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:36 am

New FAQ allows noise marines under 10 strong to take a blastmaster. Noise marines are officially nasty.
elrodogg

Postby WickerNipple » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:52 am

They went and made the damn Helldrake better too. So much for sucky flyers being a design decision.
WickerNipple

Previous

Return to Warhammer 40,000