Tyranids in 6th Edition

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Tyranids in 6th Edition

Postby Daggermouth » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:18 pm

How do Tyranids look in the new edition? Honestly I haven't read the rules as of yet, and after selling off my last 40k army my friend said he is giving me his tyranids. I'm just curious as to what is decent in the new edition so I can decide how much promise this army holds.
Ian
Daggermouth

Re: Tyranids in 6th Edition

Postby WickerNipple » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:33 pm

Nids are quite interesting now and have a couple of different routes they can take to do well. Much of their newfound success comes from leveraging Biomancy as much as possible.

What are you looking for, a list of models people have done well with so you can evaluate whether it's worth it? Anything psychic, flying hive tyrants, genestealers, tervigons, gaunts... what all did he give you?
WickerNipple

Postby Daggermouth » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:06 pm

Yeah, kinda looking for general ideas of what works well. I'm not entirely sure what he is giving me, but I know that he has a bunch of genestealers (they were his favorite models when he was playing) as well as a metric ton of gaunts, but I don't remember how they're equipped. I also know that he has a few magnetized carnifexes and hive tyrants (i magnetized them for him), probably 3-4 carnis and 2 hive tyrants. I know he has one tervigon and a trygon, but no bio/pyrovores. Not sure about how many zoanthropes he has but i know he has a few, and I don't think he has any hive guard, but i know he has a few warriors (3-6). I'll post up a definitive list once I have the models, just looking for some broad strokes of what is worth looking into and what is falling short under the new rules.
Ian
Daggermouth

Postby WickerNipple » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:39 pm

Generally probably maybe sounds like he has the bulk of what you'd need to do something with. I'll take it if you don't want it. ;)

Canifexes, Warriors and Bio/Pyrothings still largely languish in the crud(dance), otherwise most else there works pretty well these days, depending on how you mix it all together.

I've largely seen two styles of lists:
- The new psychic choir. Genestealers got a tremendous boost with every unit getting a biomancy psyker, as did pretty much every nid who gets to play with biomancy. You can really load up on casters now and toss largely unstoppable buffs everywhere.

- The standard 5e list, but better and slightly adapted for 6. Pair of flying tyrants, 1-3 tervigons, fill core with gaunts and take whatever tricks you like most. People take a lot less Hive Guard in these lists these days, though I still think a few are a great idea.

Unless you have a whole mess of stealers you'll probably want to gravitate towards the latter. Might as well put that epic pile of gaunts to use.
WickerNipple

Postby Daggermouth » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:16 pm

Lol, I will definitely take it. I feel like this is the universe's way of yelling at me for selling off all of my 40k stuff. Not that I have time to play another mini game or anything...

I'll have to take look at exactly what he has and then re-evaluate the possibilities. It's definitely good to know that I should be able to piece together something useful out of the pieces that I know he has.
Ian
Daggermouth

Postby Anger Worm » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:01 pm

Mind you nids are probably the best army for dipping/speed painting as well as kit bashing. You can get great results if you choose the right base colors and batch paint: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... mate-guide
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Tyranids in 6th Edition

Postby Daggermouth » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:38 pm

Yeah, definitely something that has crossed my mind.
Ian
Daggermouth

Postby WickerNipple » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:59 pm

The real shame with Nids right now is they get access to no allies at all.

The codex is flexible enough and finally decent enough under the new rules that it doesn't strictly need them, but it would be so much more improved if they could take guard or ork allies. Both would have been perfectly fluff acceptable and open up so many options, but not to be.

Again, you don't strictly need them or anything, but playing with ally options* is so much a part of what 6th is.

* - And by that I ultimately mean stapling 300-600 pts of Imperial Guard onto every army list.
WickerNipple

Postby deFl0 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:41 pm

The ally thing might change soon though. The model schedule release leak has been pretty accurate thus far and Genestealer primarcs and magnus were on that list. So Nid might get IG... Which would be awesome!
deFl0

Postby deFl0 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:43 pm

And if you ever decide to dip. I've done it on pretty huge scale and could give you a ton of tips.
deFl0

Next

Return to Warhammer 40,000