return of ABM to 40k?

Moderator: The Gunslinger

return of ABM to 40k?

Postby warmongerclub » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:15 am

Greetings mongers,
Happy holidays and wishing you all an awesome 2013!

So after a 5+ year hiatus I am actually considering cracking open one of my dusty figure cases and giving 6e a go. Of course before I return to the field of battle I have to turn to the grizzled vets of my glory days for advice. I am picking up the dark vengeance box, hopefully today. So I am still several versions behind on my knowledge of the game. And a cloudy recollection at that.

The armies I have not sold off are IW, Clan Pestilence PMs, and speed freekish orks. I already read the thread on CSMs below, although I have no idea what some of those choices even are. But, I shall investigate.

I guess what would make me happy is some generic 6e advice and suggestions on tactics and which army (or parts thereof) to field. This way when I hit the table at the local gaming store in my much worn and too tight black warmonger tee, I can instill the proper level of fear and respect into my opponents. In a friendly, good sportsmanship kind of way of course.

I suspect my figure array will be horribly misaligned to what works, but it is what it is. I currently have no plans, nor cash, to add anything!

Best,
Jim
warmongerclub

Re: return of ABM to 40k?

Postby WickerNipple » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:02 pm

Heya, welcome "back". ;)

6e is largely about flyers, defending against flyers, and exploiting allies.

Given what you own I'd start with 2 units of 30 shootah boyz in front of a ton of chaos guns with maybe one solid chaos HtH unit lead by a the nastiest chaos lord you can make. Bikes are probably my favorite choice for this - I seem to remember you maybe had some pestilens on bikes?

Without being able to expand your force flyers could be a problem for you. Chaos has flakk missiles on havoks as anti-air which are kinda mediocre, but probably your best option with older models. Lootahs do a good job with it too.

If you did choose to expand at all and convert up some flyers, Orks have one of the very best all around flyers (DakkaJet), and Chaos have the best anti-infantry flyer (Space Dwagon w/ baleflamer).
WickerNipple

Postby warmongerclub » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:20 pm

thanks Andy. I lack that quantity of orks, and have virtually none with shootas. I do not see any flyers in the 5e ork codex I have. is that FAQ material? No pestilence bikers either in my collection. I realized I missed 5th edition entirely! I did buy the 5e codex for orks and templar, but I cannot recall playing a single 5e game. certainty did not leave an impression if I did.

Still reading the rules but it looks to me that 6e is all about shooting. cc is brutal and decisive but does not look like a favorable approach. looks like your left high and dry after cc and just fodder for shooters. am I wrong?

The place I am playing is doing 500 and 1k games as a way of reintroducing 40k to the store.

here's a quick rundown of what I have to field (more or less)

scads of iron warriors with champions and oodles of heavy weapons
2 rhinos
Predator
Lord Androctonus (my scorpionlike chaos Lord)
dread with AC
3 bikers with plasmas
basilisk :(
Russ :(
8 oblits
defiler w battlecannon

demon Lord with wings
GUO
4 X 7 PMs in rhinos w 2 assault weapons, icon and champion
7 plague bearers
7 plague riders
possessed predator
7 nurgling bases

warboss Buzzsaw (see our ancient logo)
half a dozen or so trukks with maybe 50 or 60 orks, slugga/choppa variety
burnas galore
handful of nobs, mostly with claws and a few in mega armor
looted Russ :(
5 bikers led by claw nob
battlewagon

that Helldrake is a pretty sweet model. As is the ork bomma, both of which were at the local store but not in the budget :pp

Jim
warmongerclub

Postby Brother Suspectus » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:35 pm

Hey Jim welcome back. Here are the ork flyer rules. http://www.scribd.com/doc/110747526/New ... -Rules-40k
Brother Suspectus

return of ABM to 40k?

Postby elrodogg » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:00 am

Your plague marines are very viable in their current form. Four units of plague marines seven strong is no joke. The game is more about holding objectives and plague marines can do it. Fearless, t5 with fnp is no joke. Toss on veterans for hatred and most meq units want nothing to do with them. Nurgle spawn (your plague riders) certainly have a place on army lists (two units of three). A flying nurgle demon prince with the mace is about as nasty as demon prints come. Outside of the predator the shaven are actually viable. I guarantee you can find 20 plague monks for pennies on the dollar at barter town... Voila cultists.

Based on what you have... Try this if you not opposed to mixing your chaos force (iron warriors n skaven)
Papa Nurgle (Chaos_Space_Marines)
HQ - 440
Daemon Prince (265)
Daemon of Nurgle; The Black Mace; no Psychic Powers; wings; power armour.

Chaos Lord (175)
Mark of Nurgle; Palanquin of Nurgle; power fist; sigil of corruption; ; Veterans of the Long War.

Troops - 1,060
7 Plague Marines (240)
2× plasma gun; Veterans of the Long War.
Chaos Rhino

7 Plague Marines (240)
Chaos Rhino

7 Plague Marines (240)
Chaos Rhino

7 Plague Marines (240)
Chaos Rhino

10 Chaos Cultists (50)

10 Chaos Cultists (50)

Fast Attack - 120
2 Chaos Spawn (60)

2 Chaos Spawn (60)

Heavy Support - 380
2 Obliterators (152)
Mark of Nurgle.

2 Obliterators (152)
Mark of Nurgle.

1 Obliterator (76)
Mark of Nurgle.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:32 am

warmongerclub wrote:thanks Andy. I lack that quantity of orks, and have virtually none with shootas.

So break their guns off and glue new ones on. It's been two editions, you gotta expect to do some work! ;)

I do not see any flyers in the 5e ork codex I have. is that FAQ material?

White Dwarf release, linked above, sorta. Datasheet here: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0Cdvh6y-ans/T78slnSlRaI/AAAAAAAABLI/UoNzBhC3sUk/s1600/fast+attack.jpg

No pestilence bikers either in my collection.

That is a bummer, I could have sworn you had some rats on bikes. You should totally do some, and it would not at all cost you GW monies - we prob have those parts collectively.

Still reading the rules but it looks to me that 6e is all about shooting. cc is brutal and decisive but does not look like a favorable approach. looks like your left high and dry after cc and just fodder for shooters. am I wrong?

As a general rule you're spot on ~ it's not a favorable edition for traditional cc. There's exceptions, but stuff like the front line losing models first + overwatch is a far bigger deal than being left out after combat. Like all past editions you want to win the next round of combat, not the first.

Still, you can make cc work ~ it just takes a lot more effort and risk that other editions, or tricksie tricks. But: Chaos is definitely (part of) the list to do it with if that's your bent.

scads of iron warriors with champions and oodles of heavy weapons...

Ronen's list is a decent start, but you'd be murdered by anyone bringing Space Dwagons or a Necron airforce. If you're just reintroducing something to a store and aren't worried about heavily optimized for 6e then that's a perfectly lovely starter list.

Still, I think you could be far more 6ey for not too much money. Get some bigger gunz for those boyz, beg the parts for Skaven Bikerz and make some puking Flying Space Abomination to be a Dwagon. I'd happily give you clanrats or plaguemonks to make Cultists out of just as an incentive to get you to come into the city. 10 rats per visit! :lol:

And yes, mix the iron warriors and rats. If I remember the bases are pretty compatible, yes? Regardless, with allies everyone has mixed up bases these days anyway.
WickerNipple

Postby Anger Worm » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:24 am

Jim, your plaguebearers riding giant rats could definitely be nurgle bikers.

You can easily convert Ork Dakka Jets, $10 per: http://www.ebay.com/itm/P-51D-MUSTANG-M ... 2a277e5c9a Scooter did a cool one from an A-10 Warthog model. Totally works.

And I'm sure there are worse things than having 60 scoring orks with slightly subpar armament until you get around to switching them to shootas. They're still cheap T4 blobs.

Glad to hear your models are hitting tables again!
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:37 am

Given what you have and what I think you could do for cheap/free/fun I think something like this could be a hoot:

170 Lord, Nurgle, Bike, Black Mace, Sigil (Androctonus)
373 (14) Plague Marines, Vets, 2 Plasmaguns
200 (7) Plague Marines, Vets, 2 Meltaguns, Meltabomb
200 (7) Plague Marines, Vets, 2 Meltaguns, Meltabomb
50 (10) Cultists (clanrats are mad cheap / free)
50 (10) Cultists
50 (10) Cultists
170 (1) Helldrake w/Baleflamer (convert on the cheap ~ steal York's cheesehead and mount it on a flyer base or skip for bikes)
70 (1) Obliterator
70 (1) Obliterator
70 (1) Obliterator
85 (1) Big Mek w/ Kustom Force Field
156 (24) Orks w/ 2 Big Shootahs (someone has shootah guns)
156 (24) Orks w/ 2 Big Shootahs
130 (1) DakkaJet w/ Extra Shootah, Fightah Ace (Scooter made an awesome one out of a random ww2 model)
~2000

Orks bubble wrap the front lines and provide cover to whole army as it all moves up. You can knock the big plague marine unit down to 7 and add rhinos if you like, but I think the massive Ork screen makes em less necessary and the big unit is a helluva thing to deal with. Lord bounces around to wherever he's needed. Cultists reserve on and hide on home objectives. Flyers show up and solve problems.
WickerNipple

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:38 am

Yes! Plaguebearers on rats. That's what I was thinking of.
WickerNipple

Postby Brother Suspectus » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:28 pm

Ehh just write up 1850 and get a game on to graphic the ne mechanics. My boys are choppy not shooty and they are doing their job just fine.
Brother Suspectus

Next

Return to Warhammer 40,000