return of ABM to 40k?

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Re: return of ABM to 40k?

Postby warmongerclub » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:45 am

Hmmm, great food for thought there. I am assuming those champions have power weapons or fists? I actually have some "skaven-guard" I converted when I was toying with adding cultists to the army way back when. Never painted them, but I still have them. Somewhere. I think.

What are you fielding these days David?

I definitely do have to make another trip into the city to visit you guys. And not for free bitz (though I appreciate the offer), just to hang! I am sure if I get into it again I will be converting up all manner of stuff. The painting on the other hand, my eyes just can't handle anymore...

warmongerclub

Postby WickerNipple » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:10 am

Nah, there's no reason to pay points for a weapon when you've got a plague knife.
WickerNipple

Postby warmongerclub » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:40 pm

Rerolling failed wounds is mathematically comparable to negating armor saves? Or at least not worth the 15/25 points for a power weapon/fist? Huh. This is why I turn to the mongers. Who'd have thunk it.

Did poison weapons always allow the reroll of failed wounds or is that a new thing? I certainly missed it when reading the 6e rules. Or maybe I had always missed that rule.
warmongerclub

Postby Anger Worm » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:42 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Lighted-Jewelers- ... 7s+glasses

Jen Haley uses something similar as her body decays. Use science as your ally for the low low price of $5!
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby warmongerclub » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:27 pm

I've considered trying one of those. If I do get back into the hobby I am going to have to try it. I've tried those cheap-o drugstore reading/magnifier glasses and even one of those little magnifying glasses on a stand. Neither of them worked well for me. Both caused more eye strain than my usual squinting technique. I even got bifocals recently and was excited that might work for painting figs, but they are calibrated to focus at about arm's length, for reading, which is way too far for painting.

I bet my teenage daughter would be even more thrilled to bring friends home once I get a giant magnifier or jeweler's visor!

warmongerclub

Postby WickerNipple » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:48 pm

warmongerclub wrote:Rerolling failed wounds is mathematically comparable to negating armor saves? Or at least not worth the 15/25 points for a power weapon/fist? Huh.

A power sword would be better vs Marines, but you have to pay for it and the plague knife is better vs other things for free, like terminators/t6 things, etc. A fist of axe would always do more damage, but you run the real risk of losing the champ before they can swing ~ and with Chaos having to accept challenges, that's very common. Plague Knives are best compared to Power Mauls, which are my favorite weapon on s4 models, but the knife is free, so I'd keep it. Others will disagree.

Buying power weapons/fists for serg-types is definitely not common like it was in 4th. Most marines don't really want to be in combat most of time, so paying 15-25pts for a backup weapon across multiple squads is rare.

I bet my teenage daughter would be even more thrilled to bring friends home once I get a giant magnifier or jeweler's visor!

Personally I think the best solution to the entire problem is forced child labor, so she should really keep her mouth shut about anything that keeps you painting. :lol:
WickerNipple

Postby Anger Worm » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:18 pm

Also, for the 25 points you'd be spending on the power fist you get an additional plague marine, which not only adds to your scoring units survivability, but is also an additional plague knife you've got attacking, and attacking longer as you continue to have output after taking an unsaved wound.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby warmongerclub » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:01 pm

True, true. I did not really take into account the whole challenge thing. You guys are smart. I think I will be facing blood angels and/or necrons tomorrow. Hopefully they go with 1,000 point lists. You can't get squat in 500.

Young eyes, tiny hands, you might have something there Andy!
warmongerclub

Postby WickerNipple » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Also reliant on you for food and shelter.
WickerNipple

Postby warmongerclub » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:13 am

just noticed they bumped plague marine initiative down to 3. that's a bunch of suck.
warmongerclub

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer 40,000