1500 CSM - UK grand tournament then onto NY

Moderator: The Gunslinger

1500 CSM - UK grand tournament then onto NY

Postby loftus » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:17 pm

So I'll be moving over to New York in May. After never ever playing 40k i've decided to join the fun and start a new "project" and journey to America.

As i've not actually been to Warmongers yet I thought it would be a nice idea to meet you for the next few months via this journey!

I've played Fantasy on the UK tourney scene, so i thought that I could not come over and be the whipping boy for a few months! I decided on Chaos as my new army. After reading some of the background I decided on a "Alpha Legion" paint scheme.

Chaos 40k 1500 1.0 (Chaos Space Marines)
HQ - 140

Chaos Lord (140)
Mark of Tzeentch; gift of mutation; melta bombs; Terminator armour; Veterans of the Long War.

Elites - 214
5 Chaos Terminators (214)
power fist; 5× combi-melta; Mark of Tzeentch.

Troops - 500
20 Chaos Cultists (110)
20× autogun.

10 Chaos Space Marines (220)
power weapon; 10× close combat weapons; Veterans of the Long War.
• Chaos Rhino

10 Chaos Space Marines (170)
plasma gun; plasma gun.

Fast Attack - 330
5 Chaos Bikers (160)
2× meltagun; Mark of Nurgle.

Heldrake (170)
baleflamer.

Heavy Support - 315
Forgefiend (200)
two ectoplasma cannons; ectoplasma cannon.

5 Havocs (115)
4× autocannon.

Here's some photos of the project so far:

Cheers Lofty
loftus

Re: 1500 CSM - UK grand tournament then onto NY

Postby Anger Worm » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:22 pm

Cool!

Your img links are broken. You also might consider adding additional troops, as they're your ticket to winning most scenarios.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby loftus » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:09 pm

Here we go

cheers lofty
loftus

Postby elrodogg » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:22 pm

Its not a horrible list but it certainly could use a little min/maxing to be truly competitive in a GT environment. At a minimum, I think you should look at swapping the single squad of 20 cultists for two squads of 10. Bring them in as reserves and have them take backfield objectives.

The forgefiend is hit or miss, but if you want to paint one then it certainly isn't a bad buy. Its one of buys that works better in pairs at a higher points levels. At 1500, havocs and solo nurgle oblits are obvious choices.

At 1500pts, I feel like the termie squad is too many points tbh. A nurgle biker lord replacing your tzeentch lord gives you a solid hammer unit. Spend the points on termies to give you 10 more marines with double plasma, and a rhino. Maybe find points to find a rhino for the third marine unit.

edit... your guys look sharp. well done paintingwise.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby Anger Worm » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:44 am

Looking great. You just started this army? That's fast progress.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby loftus » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:10 pm

Yea I started about a week after my introduction post :roll: Ive been off work with knee surgery ( playing to much football :cry: ) , so it gives me time to get stuff done and also time to get things sorted for our move. Last thing I wanted to do was paint while i was settling down.

I've been thinking about what I would take and I agree with what you fellas have said. More scoring units and is a Termie unit worth it @ 1500? I decided to drop them and went out and treated myself to that biker lord!

My first game is against Necrons on Wednesday night . Its more of a "learning" game to put what I've read into practice. Here's my revised list

Chaos 40k 1500 1.0 (Chaos Space Marines)
HQ - 155
Chaos Lord (155)
Mark of Nurgle; Chaos bike; power weapon; sigil of corruption; gift of mutation; ; Veterans of the Long War.

Troops - 700
10 Chaos Space Marines (190)
; icon of wrath; 10× close combat weapon; Mark of Khorne; Veterans of the Long War.

10 Chaos Space Marines (205)
plasma gun; plasma gun.
• Chaos Rhino

10 Chaos Space Marines (205)
plasma gun; plasma gun.
• Chaos Rhino

10 Chaos Cultists (50)

10 Chaos Cultists (50)

Fast Attack - 330
5 Chaos Bikers (160)
2× meltagun; Mark of Nurgle.

Heldrake (170)
baleflamer.

Heavy Support - 315
Forgefiend (200)
two ectoplasma cannons; ectoplasma cannon.

5 Havocs (115)
4× autocannon.

That leaves me with 5 scoring units , which from what I've been reading on 40k forums ( dakka dakka , 40k.com , etc) Most people don't have that many?

Lofty (Will)
loftus

Postby WickerNipple » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:23 pm

loftus wrote:
That leaves me with 5 scoring units , which from what I've been reading on 40k forums ( dakka dakka , 40k.com , etc) Most people don't have that many?

At 1500? Probably not. It's not really a point level here anyone is familiar with. I would guess that's pretty decent for 1500. The baleflamer alone should be brutal at that level.

The current standard on this side of the pond at 2k is to have as many scoring units as possible, frequently all the army if possible.

6+Allies is norm. If you picked guard that's, I dunno, 12-15 scoring units?
WickerNipple

Postby Green Blow Fly » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:59 pm

Take the Black Mace for the Nurgle Lord... It's wicked. :twisted:
Green Blow Fly

Postby loftus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:01 pm

So the army is basically finished & I've played my first two games , the first game I was hoping for a "beginners" game so I could learn the rules..... that didn't happen :x

The guy has a toureny to go to so used his tourney list. It was like reading Chinese . I didn't have a clue what anything did.
Played 1500 vs Tyranids

His list consisted of 3 Tervigons - termagants , 2 flying hive tyrants , Genestealers and a few other bits.

I learnt a big lesson quickly and found out that there is NO over run or charging other units after defeating them in CC. So after rampaging up he field beating some termagants up I then found out i stand around and take it until next turn. So my game ended pretty quickly.

Second game was against Eldar + Space marine allies 1500

This was a weird list and I wasn't sure if he was a genius or slightly unsure of what he was doing.

2X Striking Scorpions , D Cannon , Far seer , 2 x Ranger units. SM scouts, Liberian and some phoenix lord scorpion guy that I didn't know my existed until he killed my lord

I only lost 2 marines until the phoenix lord hit. Easy win. Rapid fire is something I found very useful , especially after thinking I couldn't fire twice if i had moved.

Anyway its Blood Angels next.

Will
loftus

Postby WickerNipple » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:44 am

Heh I suspect "slightly unsure of what he was doing" for the second list. You could probably win with just the single helldrake vs that list. :)

Nids have always rewarded knowledge, but they're not a very tough nut to crack once you understand them.
WickerNipple

Next

Return to Warhammer 40,000