New Dark Angels

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Re: Hey Steve C!

Postby handicrafted » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:29 am

Mr. WickerNipple,

I've been playing these Dead Head Space (Your Face?) Marines as Dead Head Dark Angels for 5 editions now. I'm used to having expectations less than fully met. That being said I'm doing the best that I can to withhold my opinion(s) until I have the next book in my hands... (It is fun to lurk here behind the scenes however and read everybody else's speculations about what we're likely to get out of this next book... so keep 'em comin'!)

handicrafted
Steve
"...In the Land of the Dark, the Ship of the Sun is pulled by the Grateful Dead..."
handicrafted

Re: Hey Steve C!

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:03 pm

Well still no codex that I've been able to find, so GW has seemed to keep the digital leaks down this time. People do now have the book and have shared pretty much everything.

(Still, all rumor til book in hand, obviously.)

Deathwing Assault makes Demons cry. You make a secret list of all your teleporting units, and say what turn they come on - 1 or 2. They auto show up exactly when you said, no reserve rolls. Belial never scatters and has a teleport homer and some other gear and is a whole lot more expensive.

Regular Deathwing are about the same with more options. No flakk for Cyclone. TH/SS more expensive. Belial or Azrael make them Troops.

Super Deathwing Knights have all sorts of crack and crazy rules and no one wants to be anywhere near these guys, especially chaos who they have extra rules against. Dunno costs, but they're the death star unit.

Ravenwing vastly cheaper. Gains combi weapons on sargs. Gains Hit&Run. No skilled rider. Sammy or Azrael make them Troops. For the price of an old 3 biker melta squad you now practically get a free melta attack bike and a combi-melta on the sarg.

Super Ravenwing Knights are awesome. Cost about what old Ravenwing did. Bike mounted TL plasma, +1S rending weapons, free grenade launchers that reduce T or WS/I. Skilled Rider.

Sammy is cheaper, better and now an Independent Character so can actually join bike units.

Tacs, Devs, etc are apparently dirt cheap and can get flakk.

Vehicles mostly much cheaper except deathwing have to buy venerable for the land raiders.

Units can buy a cheap Auspex to reduce enemy cover saves by 1 if they guy with it doesn't shoot. (Edit - less impressive. Characters only and 12" only.)

There are crazy (and expensive) magic banners including one that makes all the bolters of units within 6" salvo 2/4. That's bolter gunline insanity but is apparently very expensive. There are also apparently all sorts of expensive and powerful wargear toys.

The new flyers are very expensive and not what anyone was expecting. The supposed dogfighting anti-air one is horrible at that job, but might be good at ground assaults. They have blind weapons and stat reducing stasis bombs and things, so they might have a synergy role, but they SUCK at dealing with vendettas or dragons or anything but land speeders and dark eldar. But still, they sound too expensive to care about.

The new kitbash super landspeeder with the super plasma gun is hilariously expensive and dies when the crew sneeze. Its gun is a large blast plasma cannon, but only 24" range. If you reserve it it might get to shoot once before it gets splattered by bolters, but it gets hot so even that is uncertain.

The new kitbash DJ station super landspeeder is dirt cheap, is Shrouded and Stealths units with 6". You will probably see lots of DJjazzyDarkDeathRavenWing shenangins with this. (Even if the model makes you break out in giggles.)

Without the book it's hard to know how it all comes together, but it sounds good for the infantry/bikes/termies, points, etc depending. The real disappointment is the Flyers. They're my favorite flyer model to date and it sounds like they might well be the worst by the rules.
WickerNipple

Re: New Dark Angels

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:24 pm

So now that we have the book all of the above is mostly confirmed.

Wow, the Flyers. What the hell were they thinking? Such a waste of an amazing model. Crazy crazy overpriced and undergunned. And stupid thoughtless rules. The air superiority fighter gets missiles that can't dent real flyers and strafing run to help it shoot ground targets and target lock that it can't even use since it doesn't have blast weapons? They seriously screwed the flyers up. If they have any sense at all they'll completely revise these via faq. If the damn thing had even Krak missiles people would buy them. S6 AP4 1 shot missiles?! I'm sure some Devestator would happily loan us a few kraks, guys.

The other flyer would be fine if it were Valk priced. It's not, and it's worse in every way. So forget about the flyers. GW just saved every DA player $250.

TH/SS deathwing are completely history, because the freakin Knights are cheaper! Every DW player in the world is clipping those hammers off and looking for mace bits.

It's really quite an exciting book all around, except for the new flyers and new landspeeders. People will like the shrouding speeder rules wise, but the other 3 are massive wastes of design energy and plastic.
WickerNipple

Postby DaveR » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:31 pm

Is the Strat selling the book yet?
DaveR

Postby WickerNipple » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:44 pm

Book goes on sale tomorrow.
WickerNipple

Return to Warhammer 40,000