So what has Sky Fire?

Moderator: The Gunslinger

So what has Sky Fire?

Postby Brother Suspectus » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:10 pm

I can't figure out what weps have Skyfire... I thought Auto Canons do. ???
Brother Suspectus

Re: So what has Sky Fire?

Postby WickerNipple » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:24 pm

Normal ACs? No... it has to have the skyfire rule written on the profile or in the FAQ/Errata for the older books.

Certain things have it by their nature (Flyers) others by special rule (Hydras, Aegis gun emplacements, certain ForgeWorld dreads, etc are auto-cannon units with skyfire, for example)
WickerNipple

Postby Brother Suspectus » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:24 pm

Certain forge world dreads? Then you have to go by a dread in the Imperial Armor books? So question for Brookie, In a GK army, what can take down a flyer? aside from using Talon or a allied flyer?

I just added tow chimera's and two spuads of henchman, man, dirt cheap and goodly.
Brother Suspectus

Postby ZiggyQubert » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:20 pm

the stormraven is the only thing in the GK codex that has access to sky fire, there are some other forge world things that have sky fire as well.

My solution is to take allied necrons with flyers.

otherwise you can take one of the fortifications with the anti AA gun.
:spacesharks: :Hamelin: :Lilith: Brookie
ZiggyQubert
Site Admin

Postby WickerNipple » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:18 pm

You also have access to a lot of twin-linking: psycannon razorbacks are reasonably good at the job, especially shooting flyers in the rear after they've passed over.

If your question was based around normal dreads with 2 TL'd Autocannons, they do not have skyfire. But the twin-linking helps them try to fill that role.

And yes there are FW dreads with skyfire to do this exact thing, but I don't really recommend you invest in FW rules.
WickerNipple

Postby Brother Suspectus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:31 am

Thanks
Brother Suspectus

Postby mannahnin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:26 pm

Remember that a Hovering Flyer doesn't get to Skyfire; and a Zooming Flyer has to declare at the start of the shooting phase whether it will use Skyfire this turn; in which case it can only Snapfire at ground targets (except Skimmers and Jetbikes; it still gets to fire normally at those even on Skyfire mode).

For Grey Knights, your main options for anti-flyer are:
Stormravens
Psybolt autocannon dreads (still need 6s to hit, but 4 S8 shots twin-linked are still pretty good).
Aegis line or Bastion with Quad gun (or Icarus lascannon, if you've got someone with good BS to man it).
Psycannons for pure volume of fire.

Remember that in objective missions, objectives are normally supposed to be Mysterious, which gives a 1/6 chance of any given objective granting Skyfire to any scoring unit which holds the objective during the game. I've had tactical marines or CSMs with heavy weapon hold them, or Blood Angel assault marines do it, trailing back guys to hold it while I move the meltaguns forward into 12" range to hit a flyer.
mannahnin

Return to Warhammer 40,000