Getting back into the game, want some opinions please.

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Getting back into the game, want some opinions please.

Postby Kaidela1013 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:08 am

So I've been away for awhile. Last competitive play I had was back at the 2008 Vegas GT. I haven't gotten a game of sixth in, but I've been reading up where I can. I hear flyers and allies are the way to go, or at least what of them you can make use of. I'm a chaos kid at heart with a soft spot for nurgle and slaanesh. My local shop plays mainly 2k games, so I've taken a stab at a list. What do you guys think? It stands at 1757 points so there's room for some fun.

HQ
Typhus-Cmon....zombies..... how can you resist?

Chaos Lord
Bike, MoN, Combi-melta, Gift of Mutation, Black Mace(this thing seems both really nasty and really fluffy for nurgle)

Troops
35 Zombies
35 Zombies
35 Zombies
7 Plague Marines 2x melta
7 Plague Marines 2x melta

Fast Attack
Hell Drake
Hell Drake(I'm not sure whether I should take the bale flamers or the cannons? or maybe one of each?)

6 Nurgle Bikers- 2x melta, combi-melta

So with 240 points left I was thinking perhaps more plague marines, perhaps a couple oblits or even some autocannon havovs? I'm not 100% that I have enough for armor. I could trim a unit of zombies and perhaps have enough to grab some allies. At any rate I appreciate the input.
Kaidela1013

Re: Getting back into the game, want some opinions please.

Postby elrodogg » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:06 am

It's a good start certainly.

As to helldrakes - baleflamers no doubt (that said when building magnetize the weapons so you can swap if you choose to).

Troops: You want 6 units of troops. Look towards adding a squad of 10 zombies (have them enter from reserves to take a rear objective). Your plague marines want to drive around, so give them rhinos. They also enjoy being armed with plasma weapons, not meltaguns (your bikers will take care of the land raider, the rest of the vehicles in the game krak grenades can handle... maybe add meltabombs to the champ if you have points).

FA: some folks are in love with nurgle bikers, others aren't. I fall into the latter category. But if I were to build a biker squad, that's how I would do it.

For your remaining points, you don't have that many left to really delve into either Orks or IG which are the natural chaos allies. Look at in codex heavy support choices like oblits and/or havocs with autocannons. 3 solo oblits or 2 havoc squads will be great to open up transports so the zombies and/or plague marines can more easily get the juicy innards. Its also nice to be able to engage a tank at range instead of being forced up close, as well as being able to put firepower into a unit taking an objective lategame.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby Kaidela1013 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:40 pm

Ok I can see all of that, now about the rhinos.... being as that would be the only two vehicles on the table I have concerns about them getting popped first turn, whereas leaving them on foot they have a huge screen to go through. Would the zombie horde give the rhino's cover? I'm liking the 2x5 havocs w/ 4 autocannons, I could drop the combi on the lord and have enough points for the 4 plasmas for the plague marines. As for the 4th zombie unit I could play the shell game and take units of 35, 30, 30, and 10. 3x oblits would be cheaper points wise, but the havocs are going to be better for flyers. I only wish I had the points for an invul save on the lord.
Kaidela1013

Postby Kaidela1013 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:21 pm

Did some more reading today. Seems like the general consensus is MEQs hate the helldrakes. Short of taking an Aegis line with a quad gun there doesn't seem to be too much for them to do. However that applies to me in the mirror. They could easily cook my havocs in one turn of shooting. 2 Drakes seems to be the magic number. The question is what's my plan for the mirror or the IG player with the 3 Vendettas? Perhaps drop on unit of havocs for the Aegis Line with quad gun, drop a couple zombies from the big unit and flesh out the unit of remaining havocs to 7? I figure I could put the havocs in the Aegis Bunker and have a fairly bristly flyer deterrent.

Any thoughts or am I on the right track here?

Oh and on a side note.... with the new psyker rules how does the power generation work? Typhus is level two and takes all his powers from nurgle.... i was reading the listing and there's the 3 random powers and a "primeris" power. Do I roll twice on the table and have the option to default to to the "primeris"? That seems to be the logical thing.
Kaidela1013

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:47 pm

Everyone hates helldrakes, they've basically broken the game at this point - every single list in 40k has to devote half its resources just to dealing with those things or it loses. GW are idiots about this as usual and just FAQ'd them to be even more unstoppable.

I fully expect half the armies at the next tournament to be chaos v chaos with 3 helldrakes each, just destroying each other with and seeing who can roll the dice to kill the other guy's first. You were more or less on the right track when you said there's nothing much for the opponent to do. :)

Vendettas are a similar problem, but those things at least have limited target options, and 1v1 it's unlikely a Vendetta will take out a Helldrake in one turn anyway.

A few of us have been talking about a gentlemen's agreement to only put one Helldrake on the table, but that's obviously not going to help us at tournament time. We're just trying to salvage a bit of fun.

Zombies can certainly give cover to your rhinos if the models you're using can block 25% of the vehicle from the other guy's line of sight. So against models on the ground, yes, models up in a building, probably not.

Yes for psychic powers.
WickerNipple

Postby Kaidela1013 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:55 pm

Ok here's the list round 2. Taking into advisement all that you guys have said so far plus some input from all the reading I've done.

HQ
Typhus
Lord, MoN, Bike, Blight Grenades, Mutation, Black Mace, Melta Bombs(I'd love to give this guy an ++save, but I just don't see the points)

Troops
35 Zombies
21 Zombies
14 Zombies
7 Plague Marines, 2xplasmagun, power axe, Rhino
7 Plague Marines, 2xplasmagun, power axe, Rhino

Fast Attack
Helldrake
Helldrake
6 Nurgle Bikers, 2x melta, combi-melta

Heavy Support
7 Nurgle Havocs 4xAutocannons

Aegis Defense Line, Quad Cannon.

Now for the cool factor, I have 105 models total(divisible by 7), All my units are taken in groups of factors of 7s if you count the Lord in his Bike unit. So as far as I'm concerned that gives me plenty of love from Papa Nurgle.

I had considered on 2 min units of havocs, but the ADL gives me solid flier defense and I can man it with the t5 havocs. I could swap the meltabombs and mutation for a 5++ on the lord, but idk if it's really worth it. I'm not 100% on those power axes, but I figure it gives me a fair amount of extra killiness, the unwieldy doesn't bother me since I'll be going after most things.

How's it looking? I have Typhus converted up waiting on some greenstuff and I've assembled 3/8 rotors for the helldrake conversions. So far so good.
Kaidela1013

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:05 pm

It's a perfectly good start.

My only caution about a solo unit of Havoks manning an Aegis is that it's a very easy target for some opponents.
WickerNipple

Postby Kaidela1013 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:57 pm

Yeah I thought about that too..... I figured if I'm against someone CC heavy I could screen them with zombies or typhus.
Kaidela1013

Postby warmongerclub » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:40 pm

not sure what I am missing here. Where do you get the option for power axes? I don't see that in the chaos codex nor chaos faq. I also don't see any updates for the heldrake. in what way did it get better?
warmongerclub

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:41 am

Whenever there is an option for "Power Weapon" in a codex it can now be a power sword (S, AP3), axe (S+1, AP2, strikes last), maul (S+2, AP4) or lance (S+1, AP3 on charge - S, AP4 otherwise). See the main 6e rulebook.

The Helldrake was faq'd recently to clarify that the dwagon head is a 360 turret and the baleflamer template is measured from the base. Prior to this the main strategy against the thing was to get behind it and exploit limited flyer mobility. Now there is no strategy against it.
WickerNipple

Next

Return to Warhammer 40,000