Dusting off the army.. few questions

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Dusting off the army.. few questions

Postby GreyDragoon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:38 pm

Hey folks!

Just dusting off my old tau army and thinking about getting some play time in over the summer with this group. Was wondering what the play style and if people are generally open to some of the units that aren't found in the base codex's though. I have an Anghkor Prok from Gameday 2001 which is the anchor to my 40 kroot and 24 hound melee side of my army, meanwhile I have Shas'o Rmyr as my general with his two bodyguards (standard XV8's) and my last big investment is a trio of XV-9's the Fast Attack experimental combat suits with twin linked burst cannons. I've also been toying with creating some converted Gue'Vesa human auxiliary troops out of Cadian Mercenaries, but that would likely take me the rest of the year to make. Should be fun though, thinking roughly 12-24 with a converted walker or two and a converted old Leman Russ!

Problem is, if memory serves, most people get really upset about seeing a conversion with special rules or a Forge World model hit the table. Are people generally ok with playing them in this group? Otherwise it becomes very hard for me to field a 2500 point army o' blasty doom :(

Thanks, glad to have found you guys and looking forward to stopping by on some game nights in the near future!

Kenny
GreyDragoon

Re: Dusting off the army.. few questions

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:30 pm

Generally speaking, the majority of play at the club is focused on what we are likely to see in the tournament scene - and generally speaking in these parts that completely excludes forgeworld, etc. I've no doubt you can find people willing to play with FW rules now and again, but it's unlikely to become a part of regular play unless nearby tournaments start including it.

Conversions aren't a problem at all so long as you've stuck to the basic expectations of wysiwyg and design something that isn't deliberately deceptive or whatnot, and so long as it represents something within the game rules.

We also run Apocalypse events and other such things from time to time that certainly encourage bringing all the ridiculous FW models/conversions/hilarity that you can.

Finally, the new ally rules of this edition encourage much of the conversions you're talking about. It is perfectly legal to include a whole mess of guard in a Tau army these days. Dressing them up like Gue'Vesa is perfectly welcome, though they'd have to keep their lasguns.
WickerNipple

Postby GreyDragoon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:04 pm

Yeah I still have the original approved Gue'vesa rules that got canned way back when. Basically WYSIWYG is totally in play, all of the regulars are just human troopers with lasguns, no heavy weapons, and up to two can hold a pulse rifle or carbine for added points. One team leader can be made who may add a single markerlight for another 10 pnts. All told expensive fluff that is weaker than a regular team of Tau gunners.

Well that's a shame. Hopefully at least people would allow me to use them as their contemporaries (Shaso as a general and such) the XV-9s have been getting expanded on Forge World, I know I was hoping back then that by now at least they'd have made it into the regular pool since Tau has seen almost no new troops in forever.

Question, someone mentioned in another thread that flying is now the new thing. Tau have had flying units forever in forgeworld, but never in the regular army list. How does that work out, are there now legit fliers for others but Tau miss out there?

Sounds like my army would at least get good play, and when we had to be serious about the rules I could create a secondary "as-is" army list that kept within the rules. Thanks Wicker!
GreyDragoon

Postby GreyDragoon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:06 pm

Oh and here's the rules on Anghkor Prok. I'm sure you can see why he turns a regular Kroot mob into a seriously scary mess when they charge out of the woods!

http://trobarts.customer.netspace.net.a ... r-prok.pdf

Gotta love those re-rolls on misses :)
GreyDragoon

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:12 pm

People certainly wouldn't care at all about you using them as contemporaries. Proxies are common.

And everyone wants to see Tau expanded except for GW apparently. They seem content to let FW do it, which I guess is fine unless you're interested in tournament play.

Re: Flyers, no - they still haven't released any for the Tau so they're still shit outa luck in that department. Could be worse though: Dark Angels just got a brand new codex and the Flyers are so bad we still might as well not have any!
WickerNipple

Postby GreyDragoon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:30 pm

Just started roaming through various tournaments and their rules. I see a number of them say that if the unit/character is properly outlined in the Imperial Armour books and you are using the proper model it's OK to use them. Is that commonly accepted? Because if so the XV-9 DID actually come out in Imperial Armor Apoc book two, and Shas'o R'myr shows up in Imperial Armour regular book three.

Oh and hey, if that is the case are we now allowed to use the tau flying units from the non-apocalypse Imperial Armour books?! Holy crud would that be awesome, Tau flyers are just insane on paper but I never got one since no one would ever allow me to use it. Course now it seems everyone has flyers based on that new book from GW. I might literally hug a clown in order to be allowed to add a Tiger Shark to my army (and my hatred/fear of clowns is well known in most parts..)
GreyDragoon

Postby WickerNipple » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:29 am

GreyDragoon wrote:I see a number of them say that if the unit/character is properly outlined in the Imperial Armour books...

None locally that we attend, to the best of my knowledge. Sometimes an event like NOVA will also have a side "narrative" event or similar that will let people use them, but the tournaments exclude them.

You will find many European events that allow them. I can't remember ever seeing a major American event allow them.
WickerNipple

Return to Warhammer 40,000