Ork Superheavy Tank Acceptable?

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Ork Superheavy Tank Acceptable?

Postby dooms33ker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:33 am

So I've begun to build yet another 40k Ork army -- this time with a focus on bikes and other fast gubbinz -- and I'm wondering how folks at the club would feel about regularly facing against an Ork Kill Krusha Lord of War tank. Now I know there has been a lot of debate about superheavies and fortifications which is why I thought to ask what the feelings at the club were before making a sizable investment in a forgeworld model.

It's a 9HP amalgamation of orky firepower, including a battle-cannon with several different ammunition types and a few rokkits and big shootas, and balls-out speed, and it looks totally bad ass. Most importantly It doesn't carry a strength D weapon.

Reasons why I'm really considering including it with my Waaagh!:

1) I love the model.
2) It's fast, which keeps true to my biker-boyz motif.
3) It converges the value of several tanks into one, thereby eliminating the need to bring lots of battlewagons/looted wagons.
4) Did I mention how great the model is?

Thoughts, feelings, concerns?
Last edited by dooms33ker on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max
dooms33ker

Re: Ork Superheavy Tank Acceptatble?

Postby GreyDragoon » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:18 pm

I have no issues with it, and some tournaments are allowing lords of war so it's always good to practice with it in mind.
GreyDragoon

Postby dooms33ker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:33 pm

GreyDragoon wrote:I have no issues with it, and some tournaments are allowing lords of war so it's always good to practice with it in mind.

I think the Kill Krusha would get crushed, for a lack of a wittier pun, by any serious tourney list. A more apt Ork LOW contender for tourneys allowing them would be the mega choppa stompa -- it's incredibly destructive in close combat, and costs only like 500 teef.

Thing is, I don't think it would be very fun to play against, which is why I'm not getting one. If that's not reason enough, the model is so friggin huge it needs its own case for transport.

Kenny, did you actually buy a tiger shark, or was that sly postulating?
Max
dooms33ker

Postby GreyDragoon » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:36 am

Eh considering how long it takes me to paint models, I think I'm going to skip doing a list with a Tiger Shark for potential usage. At least for now. LOTS of points in one fairly easy to kill aircraft. Of course, a twinlinked D-strength weapon with an alternate firing mode (apocalypse size S7 AP3 blast) is QUITE nice.
GreyDragoon

Re: Ork Superheavy Tank Acceptable?

Postby elrodogg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:18 pm

Any super heavy without a strength D weapon is fine in my book. Strength D has no place in regular 40k.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby Firebat350 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:00 pm

Agreed with Elrodogg. The strength D weapons are a bridge too far.

If you're looking to try this out in a game, let me know.
Firebat350

Postby elrodogg » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:00 pm

I don't mind them in h2h though. But in terms of the large blasts they pump out at range? No thank you.
elrodogg

Postby dooms33ker » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:11 pm

Thanks for your input, guys! After thinking much about it, I decided to instead get three vendettas which I'm orkifying and taking as allies.

Ronan, what we need in 40k isn't D weapons, but rather something that does D6 wounds, a la cannon in WHFB. We also need weapons that ignore invulnerable saves but allow most armor saves. GKs I believe used to have a flamer that was ap5 but ignored invul saves.
Max
dooms33ker

Postby The Gunslinger » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:15 pm

Very cool model. Makes me want to finish my Orks.
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby elrodogg » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:48 am

dooms33ker wrote:Ronan, what we need in 40k isn't D weapons, but rather something that does D6 wounds, a la cannon in WHFB. We also need weapons that ignore invulnerable saves but allow most armor saves. GKs I believe used to have a flamer that was ap5 but ignored invul saves.

40k needs alot. Improved h2h, balanced codexes, chaos drop pods, etc. That said.. I actually like the 1 would per attack mechanic, but if I were to change things... i would remove instant death and have an unsaved wound from double strength weapons do 2 wounds, triple strength weapons do 3 wounds... etc. S10 should be the limit.
elrodogg

Next

Return to Warhammer 40,000