150 -Dreadnought - Assault Cannon, Hvy Flamer, Extra Armor, Drop Pod
255 - 5 Terminators - 2 Assualt Cannons

110 - 5 man Scout Squad - Sniper Rifles
Sergeant w/Auspex, Teleport Homer

170 - 10 man missle, plasma tactical team
175 - 10 man Las, plasma tactical team

Anything that I am missing or any major holes.

I figure I'll lose a bunch of games initially. My one question is I assume there are no rules against a master w/jump pack joining a tactical squad. I figure it might help to have a 2+ save guy that can jump out and take on units on his own.
robk

Re: First try at Marines

Postby warmongerclub » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:59 pm

161- Master - Pistol, Power Fist
Artificer
Bionics
Combat Shield
Jump Pack
Teleport Homer

ALWAYS GIVE CHARACTERS SOMETHING THAT TAKES ADVANTAGE OF THEIR HIGHER INITIATIVE. POWER WEAPON OR LIGHTNING CLAWS.

172 - 6 Man Assault Squad - 2 plasma pistols
Sergeant w/bolt pistol, power fist
172 - 6 Man Assault Squad - 2 plasma pistols
Sergeant w/bolt pistol, power fist
160 - 2 Landspeeders - Assault Cannon, Hvy Bolter

6-MAN JUM PAKCERS MIGHT BE A BIT THIN. 8 WOUDL BE BETTER. PLASMA PISTOLS ARE A WATE IMHO. I THINK A FLAMER IN EACH IS GOOD VS. HORDES BUT FIND PP'S TOO EXPENSIVE FOR THE 1 SHOT THEY MIGHT GET OFF IN A TYPICAL GAME.

CRUNCH!
255 - 5 Terminators - 2 Assualt Cannons
CRUNCH CRUNCH!

110 - 5 man Scout Squad - Sniper Rifles
Sergeant w/Auspex, Teleport Homer
ADD A HEAVY BOLTER

170 - 10 man missle, plasma tactical team

DON'T NEED TO BE SO LARGE. 8 MAN IS SUFFICIENT.

OTHERWISE, NOT BAD...

JIM
warmongerclub

Postby Slyde » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:59 pm

Edit: Looks like Jim beat me to a lot of it, but here it is anyways.

Ok, lets go item by item. This all assumes you want it to be competitive and not super fluffy.

HQ - the master is a huge waste of points. Fists on HQ units is a waste of a high initiative value. Artificer armor and combat shield costs more than termie armor, and you only get the invulnerable save in CC, plus termie armor gets you an extra attack. If you want a character in a jump pack, a reclusiarch is a much better choice.

Elites - Dreadnaughts in pods are golden, dont change a thing. As for the terminators, if you want a more efficient unit, you can run them as a 4 man retinue for the master and not have to pay for a 40 point stormbolter.

Troops - the size of your tac squads concerns me. Big tac squads can make sense if you have a hidden fist in them, but if you are just putting a lascannon and plasma gun in them, you are just wasting points on marines that dont add much to the unit and make them harder to keep in cover. 6 man las/plas squads are popular for good reason. The auspex on the scouts looks like an impulse buy, dont bother. Also, that teleport homer is only helping one squad who should really be on the table shooting those guns. Considering you had to waste points on termie honors just to buy those pieces of wargear, you are better off just dropping them both and keeping it a cheap sniper unit to mess with low leadership units, warithlords, or C'tan. You dont have the mobility to support scouts far ahead of your gunine, so just use the infiltration to set up a good line of sight. Finally, missle launchers belong in devestator squads, not tac squads.

Fast attack - 6 man squads here is a little worrysome. I like 8 men so that the fist is plenty buried. Overall, I think you might be happier with a single unit of 8 assault marines with a fist, and a jump pack reclusiarch to join them. That gives them a good charge, plus frees up a fast attack slots to split those speeders into two units of one.
Slyde

Postby elrodogg » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:23 pm

I would go 2x8 for the assault squads.

Jim's right, give the charachter a power weapon or lightning claw. I think it's fun to go with a pair of lightning claws, the anti-instakill item, termie honors and jumppack.

Assault squads should be at 8 strong each. Drop the plasma pistols for flamers, or just drop the extra weapons entirely.

The las/plas squds would rock at 6 each. The extra 12 marines you don't have to pay for help pay for the extra jump packers.

Personal preference here: With the rest of the points you get for those extra marines, I would consider dropping the scouts and going for an infiltrating/tank hunting devastator squad of 6 w/ 3 missiles.

Otherwise it's on the road to a fun and balanced list.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:37 pm

:rollin

I love how whenever the mongers start commenting on the list they start to slowly move from a standard list to a super-tactical one.

I agree with most of what was said, but I personally like putting my termies in a drop pod. You can be more aggressive with them when you deep strike, plus you get the added terrain feature to give them cover.

Also I tend to think of scouts as a waste, but a small squad isn't too big a deal. It depends on how you feel about the fluff, and it's always good to have at least one squad of infiltrators. I see the advantage of deep-striking on a homer off of the scouts, but they die fairly easily so you might not always get the chance.

Other than that it looks pretty sweet. Only thing missing is a librarian (who, I might add, comes with a power weapon and a psychic power, both of which are quite useful).
-FarseerVinnie

Postby mauleed » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:57 pm

Now that scattering into friendlies kills you, a pod is almost a must if you intend to deepstrike much.
mauleed

Postby deFl0 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:24 am

The master give leadership, which isn;t really that helpful for marines that are going to be in your face like this army.

Classic Combos to consider:

Chaplain with a 8+man assult squad with jump packs and furious charge

Temi librarian with termi retnue to augment their shoooting and lack of initiative.

Also infiltrating squad van be useful and it's cheap on a smaller squad. You'll find in tournies deepstrike and infiltrate being pulled apart in missions, os it's often good to take them each.

Also, do you have a theme? And where you speeders?

Pete
deFl0

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:27 am

He has two speeders in a squad, assault cannon/HB...

Personally I never take more than one light skimmer in a squadron. Hit it with any legit amount of firepower and you lose twice the points/models.

If you need extra points for some of the options being discussed you could bump that down to one squad, or if you want you can take one of the traits to free up fast attack choices so you can split up the squad into 2 squads of 1.
-FarseerVinnie

Postby -Jarrett » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:44 am

I recommend you take 3 falcon grav tanks. And a Daemon Prince with a Manreaper... And a Deceiver
-Jarrett

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:20 am

Echoing a lot of other comments:

Terminators: drop pod, yes definitely. Alternatively, turn into a 4 marine termie command squad and give the HQ termie armor.

Commander: I prefer this character practically naked, and hiding. Or I guess in a pod w/ termies, but that's really Librarian duty.

You seem to really want an offensive HQ, and both of the other two HQ choices are better for someone who takes it to the enemy. In my eyes, a Commander's job is to give everyone on the board ld10, and stay out of harm's way. If you don't want to be hiding, you want to be Librarian or a Chaplain. Jet pack screams chaplain, and drop pod is the new librarian cliche.

Bigger Assault Squads (six go diedie - if necessary, I'd much rather have 1 big than 2 small), smaller Tactical Squads. I would really just stick to 6 las/plas for tac squads personally unless they fullfill a specific role other than providing heavy weapons and controlling space sorta. Anthing bigger than six really needs a Power Fist to make it able to fulfill a role that a 6 las/pls can't.

Lose the plasma pistols on the assault squads - what jim said.

Scouts: eh. I really like the idea of space marine scouts, but in the end, if I wanted infiltration in a marine list I'd just take See But Don't Be Seen.
WickerNipple

Return to Warhammer 40,000