New general Rule Book FAQ...

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Re: New general Rule Book FAQ...

Postby elrodogg » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:03 am

Well... that's what I was getting at. Regardless, I don't like it.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby savaughn » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:46 pm

I like any FAQ that lets me put a Techmarine in a drop pod.
savaughn

Postby -Thrax » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:42 pm

...except that's not in this one...

T
-Thrax

Postby mauleed » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:43 pm

Where's that?
mauleed

Postby Flavius Infernus » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:04 pm

Maybe it's that if a techmarine is an independent character (no servitors) that he can join a squad in their drop pod before it drops?

But I'm not sure that these rules say that you can voluntarily keep the techmarine in reserve in the first place.
Flavius Infernus

Postby -Thrax » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:10 pm

Well that's the crux of the debate, and it's also one that was solved, without explanation, in the unofficial UK GT rulings. These are official rulings, and there's no evidence of that particular one here.

We debated this ad nauseum for a while here, and determined that there was no way you could voluntarily deploy an IC into a separate unit/transport off-table -- putting them in reserves, in the case of drop pods. The unofficial ruling countered this, happily for most of us. And yet it's gone here.

The mystery continues.

T
-Thrax

Postby savaughn » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:06 pm

Hmm. Well, admitedly it was late when I was posting that but I was thinking:

- TM takes a transport but no servitors during an escalation mission
- Taking the transport knocks him off the table during deployment
- Starting at turn 2 you get to start rolling for reserves
- You roll for the transport and the TM together but if you have pods you might roll one of them the same time you roll for the TM
- When you bring the TM onto the table you may now deploy him into a vehicle (in this case, the drop pod, instead of his transport)

On second thought, though, that's a pretty beardy interpretation of the ruling and I'd never do it. I think it's nice to know that there's sort of a way to pull it off though. I like the idea of plummeting red guys...
savaughn

Postby Flavius Infernus » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:50 pm

Also this FAQ rules pretty clealy implies that you roll for all reserves first before deploying any of them (rather than deploying each unit as you roll). Otherwise there would logically be no way to deploy a character in reserve and a transported unit in reserve together.

This part of the FAQ still works in some missions with special reserve rules. So in a mission where elites begin in reserve, for example, an inquisitor can roll onto the board from reserve already inside the chimera with your stormtroopers.
Flavius Infernus

Postby deFl0 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:08 pm

:hat :smokin

My hat's off to GW. This is a really good faq that really clears up pretty much all the rules that I am constantly clearing up with people.

Of interesting note: Farseers cannot guide a falcon if they are in it. Also, I'm really glad they spent some time on the multiple combats piece. I've been fighitng that battle for months. It really is a necesary rule for elite assult armies to be a strong option.

The only two clarifcations I didn't see them make was the lack of ordianance wounding piece and what constatutes a board edge, and do turbo boosting bikes lose their normal save when they gain their cover save?

Pete
deFl0

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:14 am

Upon rereading the rule that Pete pointed out, farseers cannot cast guide on their ride... That doesn't bother me... You know what does? They can't cast fortune on themselves!

BOOOOO!!! Not only does that make it much much harder to use them with a transport (in addition to the no assaulting out of the vehicle and the shitty single exit point on the damn thing that doesn't even block frikkin LOS), but it doesn't make any frikkin sense!

I remember the day when a farseer with 5 warlocks in a falcon could pull a drive by with 5 destructors shooting out of the hull... Those were the days :evil
-FarseerVinnie

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer 40,000