Word Bearers list

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Word Bearer's list

Postby Arash » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:42 pm

Hey, I have been in the fantasy side of things and just recently started to think about 40k. Anyway, on the ride back from the Maurauder I was talking to Jarret and he gave me some pointers for what to put in a list.

Anyway, here it is. My first 40k list. So be gentle?

Word Bearers 1850
HQ
Dark Apostle (Chaos Lord)- Dark Crozius, MoCU, Bike, Daemonic Strength, bionics (i had 7 extra points)

Elite
8 Possessed- MoCU
-Asp. Champ with power fist, icon
in a rhino with smoke launchers and extra armour

Core
6 Marines-MoCU, lascannon

6 Marines- MoCU, Missile Launcher

6 Marine- MoCU, missile Launcher

8 Bloodletters

7 Plaguebearers

6 daemonettes

9 Flamers

Fast Attack
7 Bikers- MoCU, melta gun, skilled riders
- Asp. Champ- Icon, power fist

Heavy
Defiler- Indirect Fire

So, umm what do you guys think?
واعظان کاین جلوه محراب و منبر میکنند چون بخلوت میروند، آن کار دیگر میکنند

حافظ
Arash

Re: Word Bearer's list

Postby WickerNipple » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:37 pm

It's a good start for Word Bearers.

I would prefer a 2nd unit of Bikes to the Possessed - their vehicle (when it's the only one you have) makes them a target that they can't really compensate for. Bikes can always go zoom and avoid the worst of it.

Icons for units should ideally be on seperate models from the aspiring. You want to be able to pull the icon as a casualty when the unit is in a poor position for summoning. (This is more true for static/rhino based squads than it is for Bike squads - an icon on your aspiring in a bike squad is fine: they shouldn't ever be in bad positioning.)

Try to get plasma guns on your static squads. I'd rather see (2) Las/Plas squads than the 3 with the current layout.

Daemonettes are *much* better in units of 12 than 6.

I would really want a unit of Furies.
WickerNipple

Postby -Brother Suspectus » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:21 am

Looks like a lot deamons that my no show till the end and lessen effectiveness.

I'm with Andy on those deamonettes... 12 make a hell of a punch. You get to drop 36 dice and 6's on average will be show up 6 times. That will cripple the best units in the game- for 180 points. Also they have a better chance of being scoring. Lots of invul's to bring to half strength. 18 dice.... eh? Go for a squad of 12. Why not?

D
-Brother Suspectus

Postby -Jarrett » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:27 am

Like Andy said, the 6 man squads need plasmaguns. 4 ablative wounds gives them solid survivability, but you need to justify the cost with firepower, and a single lascannon/missile shot doesn't cut it.

Instead of the 9 Flamers, I would take 5 Flamers and 4 horrors. The horrors will save you some points and will be the first to die when the flamers are targeted, rather than pulling off expensive flamer models from the start. 4 horrors wont cut your firepower down too significantly, but give you 8 cheaper protective wounds. Nets you 24 points.

I really like the possessed thematically. The Rhino is the only way to transport them cheaply. I don't think the Rhino is *too* risky. You just hold it back until you hit the enemy with your daemon bomb then drive out and dump possessed on wherever you need to tip the scales. You can drop them down to 6 netting you 44 points.

Dropping a missile launcher squad gives you another 100 points. With the 168 points from these cuts you can get 6 more Daemonette's and 5 Furies if you wan't to make the Daemonette unit more effective. Personally I would leave it at 6 - it's small and vulnerable but it's a theme unit and your opponent will have other priorities - and take 10 furies.
-Jarrett

Postby WickerNipple » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:44 am

Yes, you can hide the Possessed until they're effective, assuming your opponent doesn't have indirect shooting, but I still don't seem them being nearly as useful as the 2nd unit of bikes.

I also just don't seem the that strongly thematic for word bearers.

You're covering any fluff bases you might have with including all the gods at their right numbers - that's more than fluffy enough as is.

And Jarrett is certainly right re: Flamers. If you're needing points, losing a few for Horrors is they way to go. They just love sticking their faces in the way of lascannons to save their more expensive friends.
WickerNipple

Postby -Jarrett » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:11 am

Well, chaos space marines elevated with a touch of daemonic possession strikes me as ideally word bearer-esque. They're definitely fluffy. However...

Yes, a 2nd unit of bikes would be more effective. I think the possessed also offer some conversion possibilities the bikes don't, but you could simply make your bikes possessed- looking.

Really it will work either way
-Jarrett

Postby Arash » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:24 am

Well, I'll probably try the possessed if I don't like the bikes. So here is my revised army then. Thank you for all of the advice.
HQ
Dark Apostle (Lord)- Dark Crozius, MoCU, Daemonic Strenght, Daemonic Mutation, Bike, Skilled Rider

Core
6 Chaos Space Marines- Lascannon, Plasma Gun

6 Chaos Space Marines- Lascannon, Plasma Gun
109 (I took out the mark to have 12 daemonettes and get a power fist, I figured they were cheap enough that it did not matter, was I wrong?)

8 Bloodletters

7 Plaguebearers

12 Daemonettes

4 Flamers and 5 Horrors
177 (is this unit still effective? I felt that they still would be, but I am probably wrong)

Fast Attack
6 Bikes- Skilled Riders, MoCU, Melta Gun, Aspiring Champ with Daemonic Mutation and power fist

6 Bikes- Skilled Riders, MoCU, Melta Gun, Asp champ with daemonic mutation and power fist

5 Furies

heavy
Defiler- Indirect Fire

total
Any suggestions? is it worse or better? What should I change?
Thanks for all the comments.
واعظان کاین جلوه محراب و منبر میکنند چون بخلوت میروند، آن کار دیگر میکنند

حافظ
Arash

Postby WickerNipple » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:36 am

That's a perfectly good list to start playing 40k with.
WickerNipple

Postby -Jarrett » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:55 am

The list is definitely stronger than the original. You should do fine with it as is.

Furies are better than Daemonettes. I would suggest reducing the Daemonettes to 6 and bumping up the furies.
-Jarrett

Postby -Thrax » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:57 am

I agree, this is a great, fluffy, strong list. I disagree about the furies -- daemonettes are the bomb. Literally, in this list!

T
-Thrax

Next

Return to Warhammer 40,000