Nids- 1850

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Nids- 1850

Postby Ancow » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:21 pm

Here it goes, gotta have something to do after Lizards...

Hive tyrant: Wings, +1 Initiative, +1WS, Implant Attack, Miasma, + 1 Strength, Wings

2 x 4 Warriors, Leaping, + 1 Weapon Skill, +1 strength, Leaping, rending claws/scything talons

3 x 16 Hormagaunts, vanilla

2 x 10 genestealers, extended carapace, scuttlers

Carnifex: Tusked, +1 WS, two scything talons
Carnifex: +1 WS, two scything talons, +1 Toughness, Regeneration

3 x Zoanthropes, Synapse, 1 with catalyst and 1 with warpblast.

1850 pts
Model count 82: seems a bit low. Any ideas?
Ancow

Re: Nids- 1850

Postby -Jarrett » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:37 pm

Lose miasma.

Warriors need carapace. Also give them +1 initiative. Almost everything in the nid list benefits massively from being initiative +1 (usually moving up to 5, aka = to or faster than everything). Scooter once WAAAGH'd (init 4) into my warriors/gaunts and was wiped out before taking a single swing because of my higher initiative.

Leaping gaunts should have +1 WS and +1 Initiative.

Lose Carni tusks, give him initiative (to go before p fists). I really think toughness 7 and the additional wound are both excellent. If you're buying regeneration you must have the additional wound, as the 5th wound makes the regen cost far more worthwhile.
I also think carnis are the nids best source of tank suppression. If they're walking 6" a turn and they dont have a gun they're totally useless outside of close combat, and you're paying too many points for them to be useless at any point in the game.

Zoanthropes should all have warp blast. Catalyst is bleh. Psychic scream, on the other hand, is badass en masse
-Jarrett

Postby -Dracon El Ttaes » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:29 pm

Hive tyrant: Wings, +1 Initiative, +1WS, Implant Attack, Miasma, + 1 Strength, Wings
Umm, I'd replace one of your sets of wings with 2 sets of Scything Talons :P
Consider Warp Field to keep him alive a little longer.

2 x 4 Warriors, Leaping, + 1 Weapon Skill, +1 strength, Leaping, rending claws/scything talons
Expensive. Need Carapace. You get most of the utility of these guys from Rending Hits, so you could drop Toxin Sacs and WS to make them cheaper. Initiative 5 is hard to pass up, though.

3 x 16 Hormagaunts, vanilla

As much as I like upgrading hormagaunts, you don't need it with this list. Keep them cheap and get some more to go with them. Alternately, throw in some Scuttling Spinegaunts (Same speed, but only 7pts each) to bring up your numbers a bit. As a rule of thumb, I figure 80 Gaunts is good for 1500, and 100 is about right for 1850. (For this purpose, I count Horms as 1.5 Gaunts, so I'd want about 66 of these guys to act as tie-up and fodder.)

2 x 10 genestealers, extended carapace, scuttlers

Expensive. Fast. I think you'll have trouble making these
guys work, since they are as fast as your Horms and faster than everything else. I would either lose Scuttlers and a few bodies here, or I'd lose the Warriors to boost the numbers here and in the Horms. (Either make these guys and the Warriors a turn 3 threat, or really make a massive hammer for turn 2, don't mix n' match is my thought.)

Carnifex: Tusked, +1 WS, two scything talons
Uh, not a bad build, but you don't have much in the way to take down tanks on turns 1 and 2, which IMO is when you need it most. In addition, you'll have a really hard time against Grav Tanks (Hammerheads and Falcons come to mind) since all your claws will only be able to hit them on 6's. Venom Cannons are very, very worthwhile.

Carnifex: +1 WS, two scything talons, +1 Toughness, Regeneration
Huh? I kinda have a soft spot for the old Screamer Killer, and I really like the _idea_ of T7 and regenerate. On the other hand, a CC carnifex is about as useful in most games as a fish bicycle. In a list with a Flyrant and Reaping Warriors and 20 Genestealers, it's even more useless-er. I have a hard time believing that any decent player would ever shoot at this thing unless you managed to lumber it onto an objective. If no one shoots at it, you've wasted all the points on those upgrades.

3 x Zoanthropes, Synapse, 1 with catalyst and 1 with warpblast.
Warp Blast is highly useful. Synapse can be pretty useful if you get more Horms. I wouldn't bother with Catalyst.

1850 pts
Model count 82: seems a bit low. Any ideas?

I'd Drop Scuttlers on the Genestealers and lose some (maybe as many as half of them) Genestealers. Get more Horms. Drop the survival upgrades from your Carnifex and the Scytals and replace them with VCs
-Dracon El Ttaes

Postby -Jarrett » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:23 pm

every monstrous creature needs a 2+ save.
-Jarrett

Return to Warhammer 40,000