Not WAAC Drop Pod list

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Not WAAC Drop Pod list

Postby robk » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:58 pm

Is there anyway to build a not cheesy droppod list. I have an idea but don't want to do it if everyone thinks I'm an ass.
I'm thinking that everything should have the ability to drop. So adding Land Speeders, assault marines, etc.
Would 2 assault squads + land speeders help to make it a nicer list.
robk

Re: Not WAAC Drop Pod list

Postby Amazonwarlord » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:00 pm

what's your idea?
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby Flavius Infernus » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:01 pm

Can assault marines drop in an alpha level mission? I know that terminators and drop pods can always drop, but not sure about assaulties.
Flavius Infernus

Postby elrodogg » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:13 pm

I didn't think assault marines can drop period, they can deep strike, but only as normal.

I think any army that is all drop, is pretty cheesey. Or all drop + fast deep striking bitz too. Now a balanced army with a couple of key dropping units, that's another story.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby -Thrax » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:18 pm

I don't think that mixing Assault, Speeders and DP troops is cheesy. Assault troops are not really overpowered under the current rules, and they fill a huge gap on the table that drop troops are normally not able to fill, which is post-drop mobility.

T
-Thrax

Postby deFl0 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:33 pm

I disagree. All drop lists aren't inherently broken. They trade, fire power and manuverability for survivablility and deployemnt.

And they are required to pay points for it plus there are inherent timing, scatter and usability risks.

Drop pods are broken because they are undercosted for deepstrike alone, plus they give you movable terrain, and ignore many of the inherant risks assocate with the power deepstrike ability.

I personally have no problem with all drop lists, it's all drop pod lists that someone at GW should have been fired for...

Pete
deFl0

Postby mauleed » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:56 pm

Deepstriking now is much more dangerous. The new FAQ makes you treat friendly troops as impassible terrain, so it's much more deadly.

The only non-cheesy dropping army I can think of is guard.
mauleed

Postby Slyde » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:06 pm

I don't see any problem at all with all-dropping lists. It is extremely fluffy, and although it is the safest form of troop transport, you sacrifice the ability to deal with certain types of threats.
Slyde

Postby elrodogg » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:11 pm

Rob - I am jaded because every army I enjoy playing gets completely wiped by drop pods. Mech guard and a modified mech tau get their worlds rocked by drop pods. So take my advice with a grain of salt: Drop pods are like crack, fine in moderation, but likely to get you killed if you do too much.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:34 pm

Ronen, I was gunna bring my drop marines on Thursday because you brought your last time we played...

Now I don't know what to do... |I

As for the pod list, it's how you play much more than it is what you play. If you play a average drop pod list (one with big squads with reasonable and varied wargear, but you don't play to destroy your opponent, you'll be ok. Just don't bring a librarian with Boo (like I do). Also, termies are seen as "less cheesy" because of how expensive they are.

Knowing how you play though I'm sure you'd be alright.
-FarseerVinnie

Next

Return to Warhammer 40,000