DoW: Dark Crusade Demo

Moderator: The Gunslinger

DoW: Dark Crusade Demo

Postby -pdogg117 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:15 am

For anyone out there who hasnt played the demo yet, I strongly encourage it: you get to take the tau for a spin through 2 missions and a tutorial, with just about every unit available (no devilfish, hammerheads, ethereals, broadsides, frootox, or Knarlocs though).

I downloaded the demo last night, and i am hooked all over again; the sheer amount of fire power available to the army is amazing. A 6 strong firewarrior squad can take out a full squad of SM fairly easily with their superior range, and with a full army (I go 4 firewarrior squads, 4 stealth suits, 3 crisis suits, a commander, 4 sky rays, and a squad of kroot for HtH) I just about plow through the SM forces in all three missions. Granted, the AI may be dulled down in the demo, but I am definately looking forward to the release of this game!
-pdogg117

Re: DoW: Dark Crusade Demo

Postby -Thrax » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:21 am

I would imagine that the AI would be tuned up for the actual game.

I can't wait for this! Loved the first two. :D The commander customization options look especially sweet.

T
-Thrax

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:36 pm

*DROOOOLLLL*

I just had my internet hooked up last nbight. I'll certainly be plowing through the demo tonight! Can't wait!
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -pdogg117 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:28 am

As far as Tau goes, the following units are available (a * means full game required, the number next to the unit is the max squad size):

Earth Caste Drone (builder) (1)
XV15 Stealth Suit team (3) (XV25 Sergeant* )
FireWarriors (6) (Shas'Ui*, Shield Drones*)
Path Finders (5)
Kroot (10)
Kroot Hounds (8 )
SkyRay (1)
XV8 Battle Suit (1)
Tau Commander (shadow sun suit) (1)

Vespid*
Krootox*
Kroot Shaper*
Great Knarloc* (relic)
Devilfish*
Hammerhead*
Drone squads*
Ethereal *
XV88 Broadside*
-pdogg117

Postby -Thrax » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:40 pm

What do the Stealth suits do, as compared to the other basic troop types of the other races? And do they use the new models, or the old ones?

T
-Thrax

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:52 pm

Stealth suits are ALWAYS infiltrated, unless the enemy has a "detector" unit in the area. That means you can walk right up to the enemy's face and sit there blasting him for a half hour and he won't be able to do a damn thing about it. It's pretty heinous. Fortunately, they don't do that much damage (relative to the fire warriors, who do about as much shooting damage as ksarkin!!!!)

Tau are RIDICULOUSLY shooty. The skyray (or whatever it is) tank shoots out mini orbital strikes on a very regular basis. 10 of those will utterly obliterate an enemy base.

In a way, it all just seems a bit overpowered. But that could just be my initial impression. Personally, I'm very glad they came out with guard heavy weapon teams. But I think I'll be playing tau for a quite a while once the expansion comes out. :)
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -Thrax » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:29 pm

They may be shooty, but I'd love to see what happens when a group of Nobz with Klawz comes rampaging through their lines!

T
-Thrax

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:47 pm

If the nobs reach them, it's game over. (actually, if anything reaches them, including guard, it's game over). The trick is reaching them. The tau make other races' transports VERY useful.

You do have kroot, but lots of the fun units are disabled in the demo. You can, effectively, create an entire kroot army.

They also don't have any turret structures (besides the resource buildings). So you can't castle up with structures.. only troops. That means that you have to be on the move a lot. Download the demo! www.dow-darkcrusade.com
VectorAWX3

Postby -Thrax » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:13 pm

That's good news about the changing value of transports, because I know that in the online game, nobody ever touches them (unless they have an unusual strategy). I know one person who had used Falcons and Seer Councils to great effect, but he was really frickin' good, and an exception to the Chaos Defiler Rush that everyone else seemed to be doing.

But I haven't played online in a long time. I'm looking forward to these races shaking things up!

T
-Thrax

Postby -pdogg117 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:32 pm

The trick with the Tau, as they dont have defense structures, is to effectively position Broadsides around your base. They have an option of basically being "planted" to the ground, unable to move, increasing accuracy and damage; with railguns and missiles, they would be devestating to vehicles and special units.

I dont think the Tau are overpowered, but one very effective strategy I have found is taking 4 full stealth squads (12 suits) and simply sit outside the enemy base, keepign him pinned in. I have been beaten a number of times in the demo actually, as the SM forces actually do build rather rapidly and can get out of hand FAST. Something struck me as wierd though, while playing the skirmish, the SM had 2 librarians...is this an option I wasnt aware of?

With the Kau'yon (idk how to spell it...) theme, the fire warriors and stealth suits practically double their range and strength, making sitting out of range (and sight!) and blasting squads apart as they run by illuminated by markers from the path finders a VERY viable option.
-pdogg117

Next

Return to Warhammer 40,000