Orks in Mega Armor + Vehicles

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Orks in Mega Armor + Vehicles

Postby -megaman001 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:03 am

So here's the question:

The Ork Codex states that a Warboss + his Body Guards (5-10 Nobz) may be placed in a Wartrukk for additional points.

A person in the club I play with pointed out that in the 2004 Chapter Approved publication (no longer in print) states that Orks in Mega Armor count as 2 spaces for the purposes of transports.

This would mean that it's impossible for a Warboss to have his 5 lieutenants in mega armour even though the codex states so and the FAQ is silent on the issue.

Thoughts?
-megaman001

Re: Orks in Mega Armor + Vehicles

Postby savaughn » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:19 am

The Chapter Approved revisions are no longer valid.
savaughn

Postby -megaman001 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:20 am

Do you have any links or sources that declare what rules are available for 'standard GW' play? The difficulty of hashing out what rules are applicable and what are not is approaching absurdity with the number of texts GW publishes at almost random intervals.
-megaman001

Postby -Thrax » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:26 am

Quote:
The Chapter Approved revisions are no longer valid.

Where are you getting that from, Sav? The only thing that would invalidate them is a proclamation from GW or a rule which overrules something from the CA book. On this issue, none of those considerations apply, from what I can see.

T
-Thrax

Postby -megaman001 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:35 am

All right, since the last Chapter Approved was publishd in 2004 (same year as the current 4th Edition Rules) - where would one pick up a copy of them? I don't even see a listing for it on GW's website.
-megaman001

Postby -Thrax » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:56 am

Ebay, yo. And it is out of print.

There are several CA articles -- like Kroot Mercs, Feral Orks, etc -- that now have PDFs covering them on the sites, but the rules updates haven't yet been fully posted from what I can see.

T
-Thrax

Postby -The Fabulous Orcboy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:57 am

The Chapter Approved books have CA rulings that apply specifically to THIRD-edition rules.

In the case of Orks, however, they are still using a 3rd-edition codex, so the CA rulings should still apply
-The Fabulous Orcboy

Postby -megaman001 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:08 am

So let me get this straight - a book that is no longer even published (nor fully transferred to GWs website) declares that you can only have 5 total orks in Mega Armor in a truck.

However, because of the stipulations regarding a minimum of 5 Nob Body guards you would need to have 2 orks without.

So, it would look like: Warboss with Mega Armor (2 Spots), 3 Orks in Mega Armor (6 spots), 2 Orks without (2 spots).

All of this because they haven't updated the Ork Codex since 1999.
-megaman001

Postby -Thrax » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:34 am

"The Chapter Approved books have CA rulings that apply specifically to THIRD-edition rules."

Not really. CA books have CA rulings that apply to RULES. Period. Regardless of edition. When subsequent rules come along that disregard those rules, the old ones become irrelevant. The addition of these new rules has nothing to do with editions per se, although many revisions do occur with the advent of a new edition (for ex., the new assault rules and transport rules).

Just because CA came out when 3rd Ed was still de rigeur doesn't mean that 4th Ed simply negates these clarifications.

T.
-Thrax

Postby -megaman001 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:47 am

That makes zero sense. How can anyone say with a straight face that rules in a book that is no longer published has any bearing on the game today? I don't think that anyone can hold a play to rules that have to be obtained through a random internet marketplace rather than their own company.

Could you really imagine a GW Tournament - or any Tournament - disqualifying someone for following the rules that are available via GW's current publications available from the parent company, as opposed to scouring the internets and eBay for a book that was published 2 years ago and is no longer in current circulation?

I interpret GW no longer publishing such documents as an admission that the rules no longer apply.
-megaman001

Next

Return to Warhammer 40,000