Literary Influences behing Warhammer 40K

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Re: Literary Influences behing Warhammer 40K

Postby -Thrax » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:06 am

Well, I haven't read the Harlan Ellison story that the Terminator was based on, but it's possible...at least by a degree of separation! :p

T
-Thrax

Postby Amazonwarlord » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:42 am

I consider screenplays as viable a literature source as any other.

Many have been absolutely masterfully written
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby deFl0 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:58 pm

Cough... Cough... Bible... Cough

Pete
deFl0

Postby Jeramakus » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:55 pm

Quote:
Cough... Cough... Bible... Cough

That's obvious. Though, as indicated, many of the Dark Angels Marine names are in fact angels...
Andy on Lou's 300-inspired foray into Ancients:
"And remember Lou, Historicals people go nuts over historical accuracy. Therefore it's critically important you quote the movie with that accent as much as possible while playing every game."
Jeramakus

Postby -Rulesman » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:30 am

Like roman(ish) names for Ultramarines, the "Legion" concept too and so on.
-Rulesman

Postby -Thrax » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:38 am

While the military organization of the Marine chapters is clearly influenced by Roman models, it seems that much of the culture of the Marines is a mix of 1) Greco-Spartan-Trojan "heroic" militarism and 2) the military cults of Mithras (which themselves were partaken of by Romans). Very often, when I read a description of a battle featuring a notable Space Marine hero, I'm reminded of descriptions of battles and heros in the Iliad: where everything is larger than life; where the exploits of heros are spoken as tribute while that person is being addressed; where the fate of an entire army seems poised on the actions of a few individuals.

T.
-Thrax

Postby deFl0 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:20 am

I think more than literary rip off it's more influenced by historical civilizations, relgions and military legends/battle forces.

Romans, Vikings, Greeks, Native americans, middle east, WWI and WWII, Russians, Germans, Americans, Pagan Influence, Dante, Zoarastrianism, Communism, Corporate American Beuracracy, the crusdaes, and the inquisition.

Oh and I wanted to mention that the illuminati and much of the inquisition stuff is taken fromt he illuminatus trilogy.

Pete
deFl0

Postby -Brother Suspectus » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:49 am

Pete, I'm a big fan of Robert Anton Wilson... where do you see Illuminati influence in the Inquisition?

Remember, we discordians stick apart.

D
-Brother Suspectus

Postby Amazonwarlord » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:02 pm

Quote:
Remember, we discordians stick apartRemember, we discordians stick apart

:rollin
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby savaughn » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:15 am

I would have to disagree in many ways actually. GW's fluff tends to follow popular sci-fi and fantasy trends by barely skimming the surface.

Basically the game at it's core is Tolkein meets Starship Troopers set in the non-historic popular impression of what the Spanish Inquisition was like. We're dealing with fluff fiction that is really in many ways the cheapest kind of pop culture.

The movie Terminator 2 was popular? Uhm... NECRONS!
Wow, that Aliens move was really cool. Uhm... TYRANIDS!

Bob, I need some names for Eldar stuff. Eldritch is a cool word and reminds me of gaelic - got anything there? Hang on, let me google something. Wait, here's some words from the Wikipedia article hang on. Slapping the word "emperor" on the fluff doesn't make it really exhibit any real influence from Roman history.

Not to mention that it really doesn't make a comprehensive whole, nor in anyway is any one piece of material consistent with any other. 40K fluff tends to be very much a reflection of what kind of geek is writing the fluff anyway. WWII geek? We get a retelling of the Battle of Midway. The exact same story gets retold later by a 100 Yrs War fan and suddenly it's Agincourt.

Now don't get me wrong. It's cheap and pandering and dark and we gamers LOVE cheap, pandering, and dark. It's not well read but sometimes sounds like it is - and really that's all we're looking for.

I just have a hard time listing the Bible as a literary influence on 40K in anything but the most sketching way. Looking up an article to steal a list of Angel's names does not an influence make.
savaughn

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer 40,000