Literary Influences behing Warhammer 40K

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Re: Literary Influences behing Warhammer 40K

Postby subversive » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:05 am

I partially disagree with that. The idea of influence is very broad. Everything is an influence to some degree or another. It can be a case of names being influenced by the sounds of traditional celtic words or a case of deep research into cultural traditions influencing the fictional culture of a particular chapter of space marines or IG or anything in between. I think the question is more about honesty and accuracy about your influences... the writers at GW aren't influenced by Greco-Roman history, they're influenced by pop-culture interpretations of Greco-Roman history
subversive

Postby -Thrax » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:38 am

Quote:
It's not well read but sometimes sounds like it is - and really that's all we're looking for.

This is a somewhat fallacious place to begin the interpretation of anything, let alone something with a relatively large body of literature behind it (trashy or otherwise).

Robert Heinlein and H. P. Lovecraft -- to name a few who've been mentioned -- were and still are considered to be "trashy" authors in many ways. Fluff fiction and pop culture are not uninformed by virtue of being either cheap or popular, or even, for that matter, for borrowing from one or many sources. Byron was considered to be one of the trashiest, most salacious, most appropriative, and superficial writers of his day in the 1820s.

I'm not claiming the GW authors are Heinleins, Lovecrafts, or Byrons, but dismissing their employment of these conventions on the above criteria is perhaps one of the oldest and most common interpretative disservices anyone could take at the outset of a critical endeavour.

And as Dicedogs says: I was hoping to explore INFLUENCE, rather than direct appropriation or attribution. Besides: the authorial fallacy should warn us against looking at the libraries of the authors to determine which books they were reading or movies they were watching at the time they wrote this stuff.

T.
-Thrax

Postby -jty3 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:53 pm

I definitely see appropriation almost to the point of where it's laughable in some of the background pieces, more notably in the 2nd edition 40K books, the thicker ones with more background information. Read the Sisters of Battles one or some others and it's just amazing how unoriginal it is. It goes beyond homage or influence or allusion. It's like they took another text or history book and merely replaced things with GW characters or concepts.

There are definitely some original elements but then there are a lot of blatant ripoffs, too.
-jty3

Previous

Return to Warhammer 40,000