Shooting between a dreadnoughts legs

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Shooting between a dreadnought's legs

Postby -dumbuket » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:15 pm

Does line of sight work this way? Can I shoot between a dreadnought's legs and tag the techmarine behind it? Or does a demonprince on a big base block the nurglings it's in front of, even though you can see the little models between his hooves?

In other words, should I start modeling massive buttflaps onto my carnifex before its too late?
-dumbuket

Re: Shooting between a dreadnought's legs

Postby mauleed » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:28 pm

Start modelling.

The rules specifically say to use a model eye view. Generally this means that carnifexes and dreads block nowhere near as much LOS as people would like.
mauleed

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:29 pm

Regardless of the rules (someone else can better answer that) any attempt at 'creative modeling' in order to influence rules is one of the lowest forms or crap, IMO. This goes way back to the jokers who would model their wraithlords crouching on their knees so as to claim cover from the guardian squads in front of them.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby mauleed » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:40 pm

Yet it's still perfectly legal. Silly, isn't it?

Privateer press, a company with a little more self respect, eliminated this entire issue on the first pass of the warmachine rules, with very clear and precise rules on what blocks LOS and how creative modelling can't work to your own benefit.

Of course their design team philosophy isn't "What, me worry?"

mauleed

Postby -Thrax » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:43 pm

Quote:
with very clear and precise rules on what blocks LOS and how creative modelling can't work to your own benefit.

What is this? Using base?

T
-Thrax

Postby mauleed » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:52 pm

Yes, the base blocks LOS to all models with the same or smaller base size. You may shoot over models if you are elevated however (you clearly define what terrain is elevated during the game).

GW tried to mimic this with their model and area terrain sizes, but as usual screwed it up.

In warmachine there is never any question as to whether or not you have LOS to something.
mauleed

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:56 pm

"Oh really? That catcher's mitt you have glued to the side of your dread blocks LOS to that land-raider?"

!!SNAP!!

"Not anymore." :)
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Flavius Infernus » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:54 pm

I'm gonna disagree with mauleed here. My reading says the rules are condradictory and the question can't be answered.

In one place the rules say you can shoot over or past a model. In another place the rules say that they block the area of their base to the height of the model. So I always check with opponents and sort it out case-by-case if I need to know.

There are many long debates on the dakka rules forum on this question.
Flavius Infernus

Postby The Gunslinger » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:49 am

By necessity, disregarding the long debates in Dakka, wouldn't one be able to interpret both of the "contradictions" as "compliments"?

1) You can shoot over or past (to the sides) of a model.
2) Models block the area of their base to the height of the model.

Interpretation: the whole base to the height of the model blocks LOS.

I know it's not as crystal clear as marines keeping their bolters when they take a heavy or special weapon (;) kidding) but I see it as a safe & logical conclusion.

Walkers are tricky in that they can behave as both vehicles & infantry. In this case, they have a base, so go by that
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby -Rulesman » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:55 am

Although the word obvious is obviously not so obvious to interpret I think it is pretty obvious that walkers block LOS as if they were vehicles.

But obviously I may be wrong...:p
-Rulesman

Next

Return to Warhammer 40,000