Shooting between a dreadnoughts legs

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Re: Shooting between a dreadnought's legs

Postby Flavius Infernus » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:14 am

Well the word "past" is only a problem insofar as it sometimes means "through" as in the sentence, "I pushed past the crowd to the front." There's a sense in which shooting between the legs of a model can be described as shooting past (the leg) of the model.

The word "over" is another part of the problem. You have to be higher than something to draw a line of sight "over" it, and since nothing can be higher than level 3, that would mean that nothing can ever shoot over the top of a vehicle.

But the rule that says you can shoot "over" a model (I don't have my book with me) really seems to be wanting to say that you can draw a line of sight over the top of a vehicle, for example, to hit a taller vehicle behind it.
Flavius Infernus

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:19 am

Coming for a guy who really doesn't know the new rules....

Would a level 3 vehicle on a level 2 hill be... level 5? 8o
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Flavius Infernus » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:05 am

Nidal: the rules say that you add the height of things you are standing on.

However, there are no rules that govern anything higher than level 3.

So when 4th ed came out, a bunch of us on this board decided that like our only Warmonger house rule would be that we'd go with the idea that nothing can ever be taller than level 3 (because the rules don't tell us how to do that).

It has become a widespread convention, and I think Pete Haines even said something to that effect in an interview, that nothing can see or be seen over level 3.
Flavius Infernus

Postby -dumbuket » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:35 am

so do my carnifex get loincloths or not?
-dumbuket

Postby -BLAZEC181 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:16 am

All of Mine have either long Sundress or full length evening gowns and I have never had any problems. With Compleat makeup and fully accessorized of course
-BLAZEC181

Postby The Gunslinger » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:14 am

Tom, the rules say that a model is considered to be the height of the terrain it's on. So if it's on level 3 terrain, that model can see over all level 2 terrain.

Regarding shooting through a carnie's or walkers legs, you guys are ignoring my point #2: if it's got a base, LOS is blocked by the base to the height of the model. Don't ignore #2 because you're hung up on #1 with "past" a model
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby Flavius Infernus » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:16 pm

Quote:
Tom, the rules say that a model is considered to be the height of the terrain it's on. So if it's on level 3 terrain, that model can see over all level 2 terrain.

It's even easier than that, because if either the target *or* the shooter is taller, the line of sight is there. So level 2 terrain will never hide a vehicle or monstrous creature, regardless of the height of the shooter. Infantry is all height 2, so an infantry model standing on anything of level 1 or more can see and be seen over level 2 terrain.
Flavius Infernus

Postby elrodogg » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:25 pm

Wait a second... and correct me if I'm wrong... but...

a ditch is level 1 terrain.

A level 2 infantry models "stands on" the ditch...

He's taller than all the other level 2 guys even though he's in a ditch?

:lol
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby -dumbuket » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:32 pm

I just realized my own mistake. A carnifex is different than a dreadnought. One's a vehicle, the other's a monstrous creature. I'm positive that the fex blocks "magic cylinder style" from teh base up to the model's hight. Now the walker's on a base - that means it gets treated the same?

Ronen - even worse, if you're in a size 3 mine pit or something, does that mean you can see over a leman russ?
-dumbuket

Postby The Gunslinger » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:17 am

Quote:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's even easier than that, because if either the target *or* the shooter is taller, the line of sight is there. So level 2 terrain will never hide a vehicle or monstrous creature, regardless of the height of the shooter. Infantry is all height 2, so an infantry model standing on anything of level 1 or more can see and be seen over level 2 terrain.
Tom, I remember someone pointing out that the rulebook does not say that you add the height of the model to the height of the terrain. As per my post, the model, regardless of height, is considered to be on the same terrain level as it's standing on, as per page 21, last paragraph.

We have to keep model height level & terrain level separate. It makes sense to add them, but the rulebook never says that
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer 40,000