Shooting between a dreadnoughts legs

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Re: Shooting between a dreadnought's legs

Postby Flavius Infernus » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:41 am

The actual phrasing is that a model "can count the height of the terrain piece it stands on for line of sight..."

It's at least ambiguous. I bet I could make a deductively sound argument that concludes that you add the heights, but I'd have to think about it for a few days.
Flavius Infernus

Postby The Gunslinger » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:53 am

Found the relevant pages for the other issues. Sorry if this is a dead horse already, but I thought it would be cool to review the quoted rules. :)

Page 6, under Bases: "First, a model is considered to occupy the area of its base... For models without a base (usually vehicles) use the model's hull/main body instead."

Page 7, under Model Height, 3rd sentence: "This does not mean literally their actual height, as the simple expedient of crouching, kneeling or crawling will render such direct comparisons irrelevant. Instead there are three broad height bands into which all models fall. These categories are also used to define the height of some [area] terrain features."

Sizes 1 - 3, as we know them.

Page 20, 2nd column, 1st bullet: "All vehicles, vehicle wrecks, monstrous creatures and artillery, friend or foe block LOS. LOS can still be drawn over or past such models, but not thru them."

So if page 6 says models occupy the area of it's base, (ie. dreadnaught, which has a base, level 3 model) under it's legs would be a space that's occupied by the model
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby The Gunslinger » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:58 am

Quote:
can count the height of the terrain
Either that means "you use the height of the terrain instead of the height of the model", or since you usually count the height of the model to determine what it can see over, you may also count the height of the terrain.

I'm going to lobby for the simpler non-adding approach that negates the weirdness that arises from adding heights. There. Lobbying done. :b
The Gunslinger

Postby -dumbuket » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:23 am

Does that mean a zoanthrope blocks line of site? It's considered artillary, I believe.
-dumbuket

Postby The Gunslinger » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:06 am

Sure
The Gunslinger

Postby Jeramakus » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:48 am

Lou answers this question so succinctly...

A Zoanthrope is not a vehicle nor is it "artillery". Do you actually play Tyranids, Zach? :rolleyes
Andy on Lou's 300-inspired foray into Ancients:
"And remember Lou, Historicals people go nuts over historical accuracy. Therefore it's critically important you quote the movie with that accent as much as possible while playing every game."
Jeramakus

Postby -dumbuket » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:00 pm

Yeah, Joe. I have the rulebook right here. It says "living artillary". Can't capture table quarters, count as scoring units, blah blah blah. Or is this just more rule vagueness?
-dumbuket

Postby The Gunslinger » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:26 pm

Hmm, well, is "living artillary" necessarily the same as "artillary" as defined by the rulebook? :
The Gunslinger

Postby Flavius Infernus » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:05 am

Page 264 of the rulebook, Zoanthropes are listed as "infantry."
Flavius Infernus

Postby -dumbuket » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:47 am

Nope! My mistake.
-dumbuket

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer 40,000