Tournament list help

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Tournament list help

Postby -Knarthex » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:57 am

I am going to be playing in the tournament @ 1850 pts and am having so problems coming up with a list. I play Iron Warriors, but I am Not interested in doing the "Static Firepower" army. Nor am I interested in the 9 Oblit force....
So Here is my tentative list, and then some reasons and tactics I think may work.

HQ- Chaos Lord w/ Mark of Chaos Undivided, CCW, Dread Axe, Spiky Bits, Demonic Aura, Flight, Mutation, Stature, Strength, Furious Charge 191pts

Elites- 2 Obliterators 140pts
- 1 Obliterator 70pts
- 5 Chosen Terminators w/ Mark of Chaos Undivided, 1 Reaper AC, 1 Chain Fist, 1 Power Fist 218pts

Troops- 2 Squads of 8 CSMs Bolters, Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter 135pts each

Fast Attack- 6 Raptors w/ Mark of Chaos Undivided, 2 Plasma Pistols, 1 Melta Gun, ASP w/ Bolt Pistol, Power Fist & Demonic Strength 273 pts

Heavy Support- 6 Havocs w/ Infiltrate, Tank Hunters, 4 Rocket Launchers 200pts
- 5 Havocs w/ Mark of Chaos Undivided, Infiltrate, 4 Plasma Guns, ASP w/ Combi Melta, Power Fist, & Demonic Visage 208 pts
- 1 Vindicator w/ mutated Hull 155 pts
- 1 Basilisk w/ indirect fire 125 pts

The demon prince and Raptors are for killing troops and give me some faster units, The troops are to soften up what they can reach and protect the tanks from assaulting / deep striking foes, the Oblits and Chosen are for that nasty surprise fire power at (HOPEFULLY!) the right place and time. The Havocs are for wrecking tanks / transports and infantry units in (hopefully again) 1 shooting turn each
the tanks are for support and 2 pie plates of doom...

any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Iron Within, Iron Without

George Lukach

(I'm asking this early to get everything WYSIWYG)
-Knarthex

Re: Tournament list help

Postby Flavius Infernus » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:26 pm

I can suggest a few tweaks:

-Not sure that furious charge is worth it on the prince. He usually only gets the charge a couple of times a game and he doesn't need the strength (gets 2d6 versus vehicles and the dreadaxe always wounds on a 4+ at worst) so the only benefit he's getting is the initiative, which isn't all that key and he doesn't get it in cover anyway.

-The sixth terminator is a really important guy if you can manage to sqeeze him in there, not only for the second reaper but also because he makes the squad even numbered.

-Heavy bolter and plasma gun not a good mix in the same squad, since they will want to shoot at different kinds of targets.

-Raptors and infiltrating havocs want teleport homers.

-A champion with a powerfist wants mutation rather than strength, since there's not much difference between str 8 and str9.

-A vindicator might want smoke and possession, a combo that insures that you can drive up to your firing position, pop smoke, and then definitely shoot the following turn unless the opponent gets a lucky hit that blows the gun off.
Flavius Infernus

Postby -Knarthex » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:38 am

Thanks for the feed back will incorporate some of the changes, but I am wondering about what to do in the squads to replace the Heavy bolter? Auto Cannon? or get rid of the Plasma gun?

Iron Within, Iron Without
-Knarthex

Postby subversive » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:19 am

question: are chaos teleport homers now consistent with marine homers? The description in the book makes them useless, as it refers to the 3rd ed way of resolving deep strike, and was not updated in the FAQ (unless I missed it, or it was updated in a later printing... I have the first printing)
subversive

Return to Warhammer 40,000