Taking the plunge

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Taking the plunge

Postby robk » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:01 am

I just can't seem to bring myself to paint my dwarves for Fantasy so I think I'm going actually build a 40k army. No hell has not frozen over, I just have to keep painting and the only thing I'm interested is marines.
Which box do you all feel is the best bang for the buck interms of building a standard marine force.
Battle for Macragge (probably going to get this regardless as I need the rulebook)
Details

Battle force mk2 - Are scouts without sniper rifles worthless?
details

Mega-force (Released 9/21) - Do people not take razorbacks for a reason?
Details
robk

Re: Taking the plunge

Postby mauleed » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:23 am

Just buy 6 boxes of terminators and be done with it!
mauleed

Postby warmongerclub » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:02 am

Really, really depends on what you want your force to look like/fight like. Let's talk tonight!

That said, you can use pretty much anything and everything in any of those boxed sets. Marines are pretty forgiving and there are very few (no?) really piss poor choices available to marines.

Razorbacks seem to be effective in large numbers or not at all. They still function as mobile heavy weapons platforms, but v4 is much harder on vehicles than v3 was, which is why you won't see nearly as many razorback-heavy forces as you once did. Their role as transport is likewise gimped. In general, having only a few armored targets is a bad idea.

Scouts without sniper rifles do have a purpose, though much less so now that power armored marines can infiltrate with a trait. :rolleyes

If it were me, I'd just buy Maccrage and everything else piecemeal.

Jim
warmongerclub

Postby Jeramakus » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:21 am

Rob, if all you need is the rulebook from Macragge, there are cheaper avenues. Try Bartertown, Ebay or Battlewagon Bits.

Toying with some of the Traits would be my advice. You can make some wacky but fun combinations...
Andy on Lou's 300-inspired foray into Ancients:
"And remember Lou, Historicals people go nuts over historical accuracy. Therefore it's critically important you quote the movie with that accent as much as possible while playing every game."
Jeramakus

Postby The Gunslinger » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:49 am

The Macragge boxset is an awesome value. Not only do you get the small rulebook, but the marines look exactly like regular marines, just not poseable. Awesome deal
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby -Thrax » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:00 am

The regular marine box is actually a good value compared to most of the boxes -- you get a whack of poseable marines, with fun bits, for a good price. The non-poseability of the Macragge box marines kind of turned me off, but if you don't care, there you go.

T
-Thrax

Postby -BLAZEC181 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:42 pm

The Macragge box is the best value in 40K hands down and you can always make some of your money back by selling the Nids to your unfriendly Local Nid player.8)
-BLAZEC181

Postby Amazonwarlord » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:06 am

Yeah, McCragge is a great deal and you mix in the regular marines you won't notice how not posable tyhey are when you put your other guys in dynamic poses. The terrain is cool .. nice bits. And there are always Nid players who will want some or all of the nids as already mentioned
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby -BigBossKruug » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:21 pm

I can see how the Battle for Macragge may be good value for Tyranid player but it's a very expensive way of getting 10 Marines. If you can find a Tyranid player who bought it and doesn't want the Marines you buy them off him/her cheaply but I wouldn't buy the set just for the Marines.
-BigBossKruug

Postby The Gunslinger » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:18 pm

You shouldn't buy the Macragge box to get 10 marines. You're also getting the small rulebook which is at least half the value of the box, plus some cool terrain, and extra dice. The nids are just an after thought bonus
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Return to Warhammer 40,000