40k FAQS Updated!

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Re: 40k FAQS Updated!

Postby savaughn » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:02 am

>>Was it insufficiently covered elsewhere?

Yes. I've regularly had opponents claim both the skimmers moving fast rule as well as the ability to fire while dropping speeders - suggesting that some how deep striking is the equivalent of moving exactly 8" or some such nonsense. "Moving" is adequate only for ground troops. Vehicles require that you know how far they move in order to fit the rules. Given the option of getting either the skimmer moving fast rule or the ability to fire on the turn of drop, I think the option in the FAQ is the more powerful of the two. Claiming both is chipmunking on a very bizarre level and I'm glad the issue is put to bed at this point.

That they did not update the DE list to match the text is unfortunate but at this point par for the course. 40K at this point is exactly as fair and well balanced as Fox news. It would be amazinglyfantasticallyspiffycool if the Eldar truly deliver a marine equivalent book and would radically reinvigorate this game but at this point I continue to fear. I remember how excited I was about the Tyranid codex before it came out and gimped that list to hell.
savaughn

Postby -KnightACT » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:02 am

perfectly balanced from the T43+sv pt of view i fear..... esp the dudes who ride down in 'accurate' soda cans

:x

not quite the happy story for em T4 nid monsters, and poor 4 fingered blue scouts.
-KnightACT

Postby -Thrax » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:56 am

Sav, I have full confidence that GW will 1) deliver an exciting Eldar codex that will have a few units that are very good at killing marines so that, in fact, rather than being merely MEQ, it will be considered overpowered, and anyone who brings Eldar will get killed on Comp unless they bring an all-Ranger army (just not Alaitoc -- although no worries of that happening since Disruption Tables are gone) and 2) there will be many, many rules inconsistencies that will require 2 years worth of FAQs (which is to say, 2 FAQs).

T
-Thrax

Postby -Papa Gino » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:30 pm

I'm with Sav. While a dozen monkeys with typewriters may occasionally produce something vaguely resembling Shakespear, more often than not they simply wind up flinging solid waste at each other. The Law of Averages suggests that the upcoming Eldar Codex will have some helpful boosts balanced by a few awful design decisions and not a few semantic difficulties.
-Papa Gino

Postby -DasDevilSquid » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:01 am

Wow, that's a pretty crappy set of FAQ's. They still need a FAQ for the rulebook.

It's stupid, because with the RAW principle, they're basically saying "Play as we have it written, even if it makes little to no sense."

I'm waiting to see what happens with the Necron WBB bit too...

And still no change to the Psycannon/Turbo-Boost bike bit...

D-D
-DasDevilSquid

Postby deFl0 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:51 pm

So what's the deal with the librarian with a familiar in ths SM FAQ???

If the familiar counts as a model the squad is straight up targetable? Also in hth, I don;t think you can allocate a wound on the familiar if you are attacking the librarian...

Pete
deFl0

Postby mauleed » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:54 pm

Incidentally, they're retracting the Nid FAQ. Lascannon won't instakill warriors.
mauleed

Postby -KnightACT » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:14 am

where are they doing this? and any word on the pathfinder's fish?
-KnightACT

Postby -Papa Gino » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:22 am

Quote:
Incidentally, they're retracting the Nid FAQ. Lascannon won't instakill warriors.

I'm surprised they didn't go the "on a 4+, your lascannon will insta-kill those warriors - this turn!" route.
-Papa Gino

Postby mauleed » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:24 am

It's on their message board. I saw it on Dakka.

Give it up on the pathfinders devilfish. They rules are pretty clear on the point, and they're just confirming such.

With the warrior/instakill thing they're admitting the rules are clear, and that they don't like them and are making a change. But they also say that this will be an exception, and otherwise they will only FAQ things to play as the rules are written.

So, for example, according to new GW FAQ policy, not only do all of my marines have bolters, but everyone else's do as well!
mauleed

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer 40,000