40k FAQS Updated!

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Re: 40k FAQS Updated!

Postby -KnightACT » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:03 am

it's hard to give up b/c the pathfinder's fish has had their movment since forever (refer faq v4.0 of the old codex) and then all of a sudden, this new faq comes out and takes it away.

I was always under the impression that the rules were clear the OTHER way.
-KnightACT

Postby mauleed » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:12 am

The rules in the last codex didn't give them the scout move, and they last FAQ included a rules change to let them have it.

They merely opted not to include that rules change.

But neither codex ever said that anything but the pathfinders themselves had scout. Any argument otherwise revolved around the pathfinders and the devilfish being one unit, which is not correct.
mauleed

Postby -KnightACT » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:21 am

I tend to disagree.

I do not remember the old codex's special rule's wording, but the new book mentions in the Pathfinder's special rule that the "scouts" had the USR: scout.

Now, nowhere does the rulebook or the codex indicated who these "scouts" were. they could be the SM scouts for all concenred. One intrepretatin, which has obviously been adopted for this FAQ is that the "scouts" were the pathfinders and not their ride. The other intrepretations of both, or just the ride is also possible, but neglected. It seems foolish to give special rule to a unit with a required transport, but then disallow half that rule to begin with, and disallow the other half if you USE that required trasnsport. It's like requiring IG sentinel units to deploy ONLY with the HQ selection.
-KnightACT

Postby mauleed » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:22 am

No, the rulebook says the "pathfinders" have scout. I'm pretty sure we know who the pathfinders are.
mauleed

Postby The Gunslinger » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:26 am

How about the nid retraction? How hard can it be to post on the message board, and on the same day, change the FAQ? What are they waiting for? Did they say on the message board?

And if they do that, then what about the Necron WBB issue
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby -KnightACT » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:28 am

hmm... if that is the case, then I will have to wait for my codex to return and shed tears.

still, the unfortunate combination that basically eliminates the use of this special rule is, I believe unintended and is a loss for the game in general.
-KnightACT

Postby mauleed » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:29 am

The necron issue still stands: they get back up from lascannons. Stupid but that's what it says.

Who knows how long it'll take them to take the FAQ down. It took them two years to put it up, so 6 months to make a simply change sounds about right.
mauleed

Postby subversive » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:32 am

Quote:
I'm pretty sure we know who the pathfinders are.
But do we REALLY know them? Are we familiar with their inner selves? What do they do on the weekends? Do they have families? Pets? Ed, I think your gross generalization oversimplifies the problem. Their identity crisis stems from far deeper causes than a simple rules interpretation. I think that the Tau empire has placed an incredible burden on them without providing them with the necessary tools to carry out their assigned role in society, namely a transport that can live up to that role
subversive

Postby -DasDevilSquid » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:50 pm

Well, tyranids Synapse are now not affected by 'Instant Death', as opposed to double toughness.

That got changed quickly...

D-D
-DasDevilSquid

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:46 am

Now that they flat out admitted "the book is wrong", they have no justification to not do the same for the other codices, especially the necron codex.

Plus, as per Jervis's latest WD article that one of the reasons (the main reason?) they're taking a "no rule corrections" policy, is that not everyone will have access to them. Then why have FAQ's at all? By their logic, not everyone will have access to them either, which is flat out wrong. Name me ONE person in the universe that plays 40K/Fantasy and does NOT have internet access either at home, or at a friend's, or library.

And if such a person exists, then said person probably doesn't even know about, much less, goto tournaments where such "confusions" about RAW vs FAQ might happen. They probably play in their basement, and make up house rules anyway. They probably make up codices for all we know! :lol

The FAQ's clear up a number of issues, that left unaddressed, only promote confusion among players. Without them, you'll always have at least 2 interpretations for each issue.

Lastly, you know how easy it is to promote awareness of the FAQ's? They can insert blurbs in every WD & the codices to check "www.checkFAQ.com" for rule updates & clarifications. Every GT or RTT can further remind players to make sure they have the latest FAQ's. They can put the URL at the bottom of promo posters. It's ludicrously easy to get around the "not everyone will have access to the FAQ's" non-issue. They're making it an issue by not promoting awareness of them.

Thank you & good night. :b
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer 40,000