Slaanesh Assault Havocs

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Slaanesh Assault Havocs

Postby -Son of Sanguinus » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:19 am

I was looking at adding some assault to my noise marine army(not more deamonettes) and thanks to the third edition printing of codex chaos an idea came to mind.
What do you guys think about assault havocs? The unit I have in mind is something like this.

6 Slaanesh Havocs
Furious Charge
4xDoom Siren-BP/CCW, 1xBP/CCW
AC-BP/PW, Doom Siren, Str., Mutation, 3x Chaos Hounds
Rhino-E.A., Smoke, Sonic Blaster

Total cost is a little over 300pts. Total is five flamer attacks and the ability to always strike first in the first round of combat.(even gives me a dice off for priority against banshees) I could roll up jump out of the rhino flame the crap out of some poor unit and even take the assault back. Or run up get out, then flame and assault some poor unit next turn.

So what are your thoughts? Thanks for the opinions guys.
-Son of Sanguinus

Re: Slaanesh Assault Havocs

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:38 am

And if I pop that rhino with a lucky shot, what do you do with that 300 point squad? ;) Also, 4 flamers can be a problem, as you can fry the squad you intend to assault, killing enough of forcing a fallback to the point where you can no longer reach them in assault. Now you're stranded and you're about to be rapid-fired to death by tau rifles.

It's certainly a fun unit to use. But you have to be careful not to give it away as a very expensive gift to your opponent.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:01 pm

I've had similar thoughts about a unit of havocs in a rhino with plasma guns... yeah, you get lots of shots, and it's great to surprise your opponent, but the fact is that the unit simply costs too many points to be worth it (imho).
-FarseerVinnie

Postby deFl0 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:07 pm

I've done the infiltrating plague marine havok squad with 4 plasma guns and a tooled up aspire with a plasma pistol.

It worked well for me. 300 points in a lot for a 6 man squad though. The truth is the only guy really doing any killing is the aspiring champion, and flamers are going to stop him from reaching assult. Another issue is you can't assult out a rhino any more.

In conjuntion with deamons and other squads in rhinos this squad could be nasty. Basically, you launch the rhino forward. When the rhinos pop or you jump out the deamons summon in and tie squads down then you charge the CSMs in the next assult phase to turn the tides in the combat.

This is the main tactic I use with my nurgle and do very well with it. Slaanesh is just a hittier less resilent version.

Note, the other part of the list should be resilent tank hunting and a indirect fire defiler. There are games that you need to be able to soften up targets and punish your oppoenent before throwing the rhinos out there. Around here we call it camping :lol

Pete
deFl0

Postby -thehod » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:37 pm

Flamers are real nice and hell even with Armored Fist Sqauds I am running they work great.
-thehod

Postby -Son of Sanguinus » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:12 am

The unit actually runs right around 250, 300 w/ the rhino. Really the flame templates are just extra options its the other doom siren ability that I like.
@pete-Thanks for the reply man, we played first round at the last baltimore GT(I had the BAs w/ the three Baals). The whole army is something like this.
HQ
lord-Lash, PF, DS, furious charge, standard goodies 2 minor powers.225pts

KoS-Gift, 2 minors. 180pts

Troops
6 Noise Marines in rhino 268pts
3xsonic blaster, melta, blastmaster
ac-BP/PF, mutation, visage, 3x hounds

6 Noise Marines in rhino 280pts
3xsonic blaster, plasma, blastmaster
ac-BP/PW, DS, mutation, str., visage, 3x hounds

6 Noise Marines 222pts
3xsonic blaster, plasma, blastmaster
ac-BP/PW, mutation, str., visage, 3x hounds

12 deamonettes 180pts

Hvy
6 Noise Marine Havocs 258pts
4x blastmaster, sonic blaster, tank hunters
ac-sonic blaster, 3x hounds

and of course the aformentioned DS havoc unit w/ the exception is that the AC has chains.

I like using the lord to either scare off big units thanks to lash, visage and possibly minor power #6 for a -3 ld, or using FC and the fist to str 10 big tanks, other DPs and such.

So after seeing the whole thing any more comments?
I would like to fit in a defiler somehow. I played speed freaks in the last local RTT and he bunched up most of his trucks in deployment, I would've killed for a nice template that game.
The havocs are pretty resiliant they normally set up in whatever cover is available.

I guess I could drop the lord for a defiler and another unit of deamonettes. I'd have to tweak the points somewhere to find another 40 pts.
-Son of Sanguinus

Postby Flavius Infernus » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:00 am

I think the lash is currently broken under 4th edition rules: either it doesn't do anything anymore or it isn't clear what it does depending on how you read the phrase "unit he is with."

Also the darkblade/strength/combat drugs is a better combo than a powerfist if you want to get to strength 8 (only a Slaanesh character can do this) because you fight at initiative. Independent characters in general can't use powerfists effectively because they can be targeted.
Flavius Infernus

Postby -Thrax » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:54 am

Yes, the new assault rules broke the Lash. Lucius the Eternal is now almost useless -- making it even MORE HILARIOUS that GW has just decided to release a brand new mini for him! :rolleyes

T
-Thrax

Postby subversive » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:34 am

Doom sirens don't make you attack first. They only make you attack in strict initiative order. Again, this is broken in 4th ed, b/c models assaulted in cover have initiative 10, as opposed to "striking first." RAW leads to no effect (or, rather, the models in cover striking at initiative 9 due to Warp Scream). I don't have an eldar codex at hand, but wasn't the banshee's strike first similarly updated? Of course, this is not covered in the CSM FAQ. We play that it simply negates the cover bonus.

What is REALLY good, though, is furious charging with slaaneshi marines. I5 on the charge, AND your opponent is -1 I for Warp Scream. You beat space marine heroes to the punch, and even go simultaneoulsy with genestealers.
subversive

Postby -BigBossKruug » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:15 pm

Quote:
Doom sirens don't make you attack first.

They do according to my copy of the codex, unless I'm reading it wrong (which I wouldn't completely rule out at this point).
-BigBossKruug

Next

Return to Warhammer 40,000