Warseers Eldar rumor roundup

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Warseer's Eldar rumor roundup

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:40 am

Awesome!

All the eldar rumors in one neat little package!
-FarseerVinnie

Re: Warseer's Eldar rumor roundup

Postby -Thrax » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:22 am

Oh wow! Yay Warseer! :D

I'm drooling at some of the Autarch possibilities, especially when combined with Swooping Hawks and that nasty re-deep strike rule. :x Fusion gun, power weapon, multiple deep strikes, banshee mask? Yes please! :eek I wonder if this is accurate that you can take all that...

There's some RETARDED stuff in there. The exarch powers look fantastic.

Quote:
- Tempest Launcher (G36 Str 4 Ap3 Heavy 2 blast)
- Power Weapon & Shimmershield (Give the Exarch and his squad a 5+ invul save in CC)

:x

Too bad about losing the CTM, but...oh well! Good news about the Spirit Stones being like Extra Armor, though.

This is shaping up to look like a kickass 'dex!

T
-Thrax

Postby -Papa Gino » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:15 am

Multi-deep-striking Hawks with Haywire grenades hitting moving skimmers on 4+?

Interesting.

Some crack is to be expected. They want uber-expensive figs to finally start selling. Overall, sounds like a reasonable boost for the army.

I do want to know why they got rid of the random shot thing for the pulse/scatter laser. That's been the staple since 2ed, pretty much (and has worked fine, I think).
-Papa Gino

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:05 pm

Ok, I tried to hold it in but I can't, here are the things I think are gunna be interesting with the new 'dex:

1) ShadowSeer has a power called 'veil of tears' which means oponents must roll for nightfight when targetting your unit, plus Reapers are cheaper and will have a 3+ save.

ShadowSeer plus a big reaper squad sounds like a badass combo. Tucked away in a corner, nearly impossible to see, with a marine's save and presumably in cover, but packing one hell of a punch (not to mention they're cheaper!).

2) 1 Fire Prism is BS 4 and can shoot either S9 AP2 blast or S5 AP 4 Large Blast, 2 is twin linked, S10 AP1 blast or S6 AP3 Large blast.

This combo is amazing, think of the versatility. You're playing in a tournament, game 1 is against 'nids, guard or orcs? Ok, two fast moving tanks shooting large templates per turn (Possibly with Shuriken Cannon shots to boot), oh, game 2 is against MEQs? S6 AP3, twin linked, marines disappear on a 2+, Ok, game 3, armored company, now we have 2 las-cannons or 1 twin-linked S10 gun. So many combos, so many great options, problem is it takes up 2 heavy slots, but keep in mind (and this is key), you can pull the same holo-field/spirit stone crack combo with a fire prism that you can with a falcon, making them neigh invincible (especially with the improved spirit stones!) :evil

3) Shining spears, much cheaper and get S6 power weapons on the charge.

Each shining spear will kill 5/6ths of a marine on the charge, and guess what, a jetbike always gets the charge because, well, it's a frikkin jetbike! Throw in the 24" move invulnerable save, the reduced point cost, the exarch's ability to leave combat and you've got a unit that is impossible to avoid and real strong in HtH (not to mention reasonably priced).

4) Fire dragons are cheaper, and now have S8 guns, plus a flamer option on the exarch.

I probably wouldn't get the flamer, because I'm not a fan of units with more than one purpose (a flamer would be wasted on a tank and a melta gun would be wasted on most units that would care about a flamer). That being said... YES! Hells yes in fact. Put them with the (even cheaper) wave serpent, now you're insta-killing most anything, going through tanks with the GREATEST of ease, and only when/where you want to.

5) Dire avengers have better shuriken cats, plus, with an exarch, a 5+ I save in HtH and opponents lose an attack.

Now that dire avengers can be effective at shooting and resiliant in HtH, there's a reason to rush them forward to thin out a big HtH unit, then absorb an assault long enough for help to arrive. Plus, the cheaper wave serpent gets to fly around and cause problems.

That's all I got for now, lemme know if you think I'm way off base or whatever.
-FarseerVinnie

Postby mauleed » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:35 pm

So Vin, assuming a mostly mounted firedragon/dire avenger army, what do you think the rest of the army will need?

I imagine some sort of countercharge will be required, but what fits with a mechanized list like this? Shiny spears if cheap enough?
mauleed

Postby WickerNipple » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:39 pm

Though I haven't seen points yet, Shinies really sound almost too good to be true.
WickerNipple

Postby -Thrax » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:35 pm

Really? I remain somewhat unimpressed. Sure, power weapons on the charge are nice, but how greatly their points cost is brought down will be the factor here. Even a 10 pt. reduction isn't enough for these guys (which would bring them to a still-high 40 pts). They're toast after the first round of combat...unless you're purchasing Withdraw (or whatever their hit n' run rule is), so already you've got a lot of points there for killing a few marines on a charge. Their "shoot-before-assault" rule is neat, but the last STR/AP for the laser lance was 5/5, which isn't killing a lot (at Assault 1), so you're basically relying on 2 S6 power weapon attacks per Spear -- at 40 points, that's not a whole lot of killing going on. Not terrible, but not a lot.

T
-Thrax

Postby mauleed » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:55 pm

I doubt I would consider them unless they were 30 points or less. I figure you're going to need to be able to reliably kill 6 marines with this sort of countercharge unit, which means you need about 8 of these guys.

Of course another option is to simply have no countercharge, just alot of small, cheap units.
mauleed

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:14 am

Yeah, it had slipped my mind that shining spears are absurdly priced at 50 points a piece right now, they need a BIG reduction in points. The thing that attracts me about them is their mobility, combined with the invulnerable save, in the right circumstances could kick ass here's what I'm thinking:

Autarch on a Jetbike

10 Fire Dragons in a serpent
Shadowseer

10 Dire Avengers in Serpent
10 Dire Avengers in Serpent

5 Shining Spears
5 Shining Spears

Reapers
Fire Prism
Fire Prism

You've got fire power on all those tanks, plus the fire dragons and the reapers, and for HtH you get Dire Avengers to tie units up while the spears/autarch charge and withdraw each turn, and I imagine you'd still have some room in this list for more units (since everything is going to be cheaper).
-FarseerVinnie

Postby -Thrax » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:36 am

While I like the new rules for the Double-Prism Shot, I don't think it's worth the extra points. One, maybe (especially with the BS4 now). This is a low-body count army, so I'd trade in a Prism and one squad of Spears for a larger squad of Spears for a concentrated counter-charge (as Ed noted, you'll need more than 5 to give them a real punch), and go for something like Hawks with an Exarch. I'm intrigued about the new rules for the Hawks -- I'd even consider putting the Autarch with them for an insane multi-deep striking unit. I think he might do more good with them than with the Spears.

All that said, the new list sounds like it's opening up some really cool possibilities. I love the Autarch potential...I'm excited to see how a Saim-Hann force could turn out.

T
-Thrax

Next

Return to Warhammer 40,000