Warseers Eldar rumor roundup

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Re: Warseer's Eldar rumor roundup

Postby VectorAWX3 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:48 am

How's the one-of-everything mixed eldar list looking these days? I've always wanted to do one of those, and this looks like it might be the right time.

Literally,
One unit of fire dragons
one unit of banshees
on unit of shining spears
one unit of warp spiders,
etc.
etc.
etc.

The idea is for it to look really cool. Gameplay effectiveness is a distant second (and will be just fine with lots of practice).

1) is it (will it be) legal to do this?
2) will it be at least reasonably effective?
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -Thrax » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:08 am

Indeed, now might be the best time, if everything shapes up the way it's looking to. It may even be effective! The only things that I'm iffy on are Banshees -- still not sure what's going to happen with them. The exarch skills may help them, esp. with Counter-Attack and strike first (sweet!).

There's no way you could fit everything -- too much in too few FOC slots. It will also depend on what the "traits" equivalent will be for this list. Once again, Biel-Tan might be the best shot for including the biggest diversity of Aspects, assuming they're troop slots like before. It sounds like they're trying to distribute the Aspects more evenly between FOC slots now, so Spiders in Fast Attack, for example (not confirmed).

I think Vanilla Eldar will be a strong list this time around, and you can certainly fit a lot into it. But even with Vanilla, you could only get:

HQ (no aspects, except for Farseer/Warlock/Autarch/Avatar/Phoenix Lord)

Elite
Max of three, between Wraithguard (also Troops), Scorpions, Banshees, Harlequins, Fire Dragons

Troops
Avengers (only aspect), Guardians, Wraithguard, Rangers/Pathfinders

FA
Spiders, Hawks, Spears

Heavy
Reapers

So you'd have to pick and choose some. Again: Biel-Tan might be your best bet.

T.
-Thrax

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:41 pm

You could do it with that list, even if you count wraithguard as aspect warriors (which I don't think they are). You'd just have to make one of the elite choices a troop choice (I assume with one of the HQ slots or by making the wraithguard 10 strong).

And I could see it being useful to a certain extent, but let's be honest, HIGHLY varied lists are rarely the most successful. I doubt it'd win too many GTs, but you'd probably get great soft scores, and at least the army would be somewhat competitive (as opposed to this edition, where you'd never have a shot in the dark of pulling out a draw against a decent player).

I'm freaking out over the possibilities though, imagine! An entire codex full of useful units! :D :D :D :D :D
-FarseerVinnie

Postby -Thrax » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:00 pm

Heh. Let's not go ape-shit. I'm still dubious about Rangers and Banshees (although the former will be great in Cityfight), and it sounds as if Warlocks are going to take a hit -- who will want them, except as expensive ablative wounds for Farseers?

Don't get me wrong -- this list sounds as if it's going to rawk. :D

T
-Thrax

Postby -Thrax » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:16 am

Another thing about the all-aspect list: it would seem as if there's a little duplication in function between dudes like Hawks and Spiders...hopefully new rules will sort that out.

But since I'm really stoked about new Hawk rules, a question:

Could you build a list around Hawks (given the new rumours), assuming you could take them as Troops? (Could Biel-Tan do this before? I forget.) What function could they serve? Haywires are neat, but can you built a serious multi-purpose shooty + occasional cc + tank hunting list with them?

T
-Thrax

Postby deFl0 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:43 am

Vinnie,

I think you are mixing too many tactics and being sloppy in your points :p

For your list I'd go with Falcons with fire dragons in them matched with Dire avengers in the waverserpents (remember you can have 12 of them). The issue is the lack of terrain at tournies will really hinder this list.

Synergies are going to be the name of the game building the Eldar list. I really think there are a couple tactical themes that will works:

1. Pinning: There has got to be 6 or 7 good pinning weapons now in this list, and some of them are pretty nasty. Between path finders, the spinnerett rifle, and the sun rifle, pinning could actually be a fairly solid tactic.

2. Anti MEQ/Armor: tons of of low ap everything. Fire Dragons galore, in tanks with low AP weapons. The great things about fire dragons is that they are cheap. The are the only aspect that is completely functional and not really relient on their exarch. Although the heavy flamer option is actually a great concept, as it makes the unit a much better infantry killing unit, although it will probably interfere with Eldar version of "fish of Fury" which I would like to coin "Snakes on Planes".

3. Mass fire power: Things like a falcon with a scatter laser/ s. cannon, or waveserpents full of dire avengers, or warp spiders all in the same list with farseers on jet bikes with fourtune and doom will be albe to pump out enough dakka to slaughter hordes and hang with MEQs.

4. Counter strike: Before drop pods and loss of meat shields you had counter strike eldar. It depend on the pricing and org chart but if you can do things liek that war walkers as fast attack, you could concivably shoot enough to make people come you and then use wratihlords, banshees and shinging spear as counter attack units.

The new avatar makes this entirely possible. Hide the Avatar behind a central piece of terrain and then octopus off squads from him, making them all fearless. 5 star cannons is still brutal (even if nerfed a little) but now it is much cheaper. 50 guardians with starcannons will cost you about 500 points. And with them being fearless, 60 models is a serious concept to contend with. Espcially as you still have 1250 points of nastiness to use. Plus you have things like fearless dire avangers with shimmer shields to tie stuff up and wraithlords with invulnerable saves.

The eldar tar pit maybe one of the nastiest new tactics. You can easily put a solid 150 walking eldar on the table if you stuck to shooting infantry.

Pete
deFl0

Postby -Thrax » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:16 am

Yeah, the Avatar could be a great anchor to a huge, mobile firebase. No more fraidy-cat Eldar pussying off the table after taking 25% casualties!

T
-Thrax

Postby deFl0 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:30 am

Hmmm...

3 wraithlord holdhing hands and block los to the avatar, walking down the middle of the board with 100 storm guardians...

Now that's an anvil.

Pete
deFl0

Postby -dumbuket » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:10 am

I thought magic cylinders were a fallacy. Can't you just shoot between the wraithlord's legs and tag the avatar? People have been doing that to my zoanthropes through my carnifex for a while.
-dumbuket

Postby deFl0 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:36 am

Last time I checked, monsterous creatures block line of sight. Not sure how you would do it other than by it's base.

Pete
deFl0

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer 40,000