Dave Bell - about your drop pod tactics.

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Dave Bell - about your drop pod tactics.

Postby The Gunslinger » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:21 pm

Hey dude. I happen to ask people at the bar about declaring that you're dropping on one of my units before rolling for scatter.

First you have to put the model on the table, then you roll for scatter. If you scatter onto an enemy(or friendly) unit or impassable terrain, *then* you safely move an inch away, with priority to the direction you're scattering from, for practical purposes.

Technically, drop pods are saved when they *scatter* onto units or impassable, not when they *land* via a hit on a scatter die. So technically, they'd be destroyed if they hit on top of a unit, like you did.

Cheater. :b
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Re: Dave Bell - about your drop pod tactics.

Postby Jeramakus » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:11 pm

Ya know, you're right. A unit isn't the same as passable terrain where you can place the model within the latter. Placing your model, it must be an inch away to begin with, you then roll the scatter die and stick or move. Yeah, Dave. Cheater! ;)
Andy on Lou's 300-inspired foray into Ancients:
"And remember Lou, Historicals people go nuts over historical accuracy. Therefore it's critically important you quote the movie with that accent as much as possible while playing every game."
Jeramakus

Postby VectorAWX3 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:22 pm

Question regarding that:

A unit on the board is stretched out in a long, thing line. I place my pod 1 inch away, on one side of the line, and roll scatter. The dice tell me to move over/through the line 7 inches to the other side. Does the pod "hop" over the line to the other side? Or does it "slide" into the line and effectively get pushed back to its starting position?
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Jeramakus » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:40 pm

I'd say it hops as the pod is coming down from above, if you can picture that. Also, there's nothing in the rules that state you move models out of the way but that you place the Drop Pod 1" away. It's basically the same as any scatter effect. Does the Vindicator shell "mow down" the squad on its way to its scatter location if it passes through. Ed would say 'yes' but... ;)
Andy on Lou's 300-inspired foray into Ancients:
"And remember Lou, Historicals people go nuts over historical accuracy. Therefore it's critically important you quote the movie with that accent as much as possible while playing every game."
Jeramakus

Postby The Gunslinger » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:34 am

Nidal, I'd say it's clear that it scatters, lands there. If there's models/impassable underneath, then you just move an inch away, not move all the way back to the safest point nearest the area you scatter from. I think that makes sense. :)
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby mauleed » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:43 am

If you scatter into the enemy or impassible terrain, you go back toward the original position.

Of course "into" was never defined so it doesn't tell you if you can hop over if you have enough scatter.
mauleed

Postby VectorAWX3 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:07 am

:rollin Yes! I'm helping to break the system. I agree with Lou and Joe that it should hop. That's the reasonable answer. But as Ed said, there is no true definition.

The application of this (should you not be able to hop) is that if there is a thin line of troops on the very edge of the board, you can attempt to drop right next to them without fear of scattering off the board, since you can't scatter "through" models. Pretty gimpy. But I can see someone trying to push it.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby mauleed » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:10 am

We've been playing it that if you scatter into you don't hop, but with full awareness that it's ambiguous.

I know I'd have no objection to hopping, just so long as it was decided before the game started or the pod was placed.
mauleed

Postby Slyde » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:41 am

Why wouldnt it hop over? If you were deepstriking, they would go exactly where they were placed. The drop pod rules only seem to apply when you scatter onto enemies or impassable terrain. If neither of those conditions are met, you should do exactly as the scatter dice says. You didnt land on that line, so it doesnt affect you.
Slyde

Postby mauleed » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:04 am

Well, what does "scatter into" mean? You seem to think it can only having a meaning that is synonymous with "scatter on top of". While that is one possible meaning, the "into" could mean "in the direction of".

For example, if I trip and fall into the wall, it does not mean I fall on top of the wall, merely in the direction of.
mauleed

Next

Return to Warhammer 40,000