40k GT Clarification PDF...

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Re: 40k GT Clarification PDF...

Postby VectorAWX3 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:21 am

Lou, it wasn't a rules clarificaion, it was a "club guidlelines" or somsuch. Something like: "2000 points, no special characters, dogs of war are allowed unless you and your opponent agree otherwise." It wasn't anything like an FAQ. And the point is that if 20 clubs have 20 different interpretations, it makes the game harder for all to enjoy when that crucial situation comes up and it's not your skill that kills you, but the various ways in which the rules can be interpreted.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby The Gunslinger » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:34 am

Nope. I just checked. We have a rules clarification that was last updated in 2002. It's in the Library on our main site. If you're not aware of it, then I'd say most people weren't at the time. But that's just a need for awareness. We can keep a link to the page on our 40K board, for anyone to print out when they enlist for one of our tournies. That's just an idea. It would definitely help if we kept copies at the club too for pick-up games
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:18 am

Interesting, so the choice is between deciding on a single interpretation of the rules, but possibly screwing someone's game up and pissing them off, and letting the rules remain vague to keep people happy?

I'd say if it's for a specific tournament (NEWCC), we could write some guidelines up, and as long as people are aware of it ahead of time, how mad could someone be? It's public information, and it's not like the rules are designed to help us.

Call me crazyt, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a situation where vague rules is better than predetermined, specific ones.
-FarseerVinnie

Postby savaughn » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:06 am

>>Interesting, so the choice is between deciding on a single interpretation of the rules, but possibly screwing someone's game up and pissing them off, and letting the rules remain vague to keep people happy?

The starting assumption is invalid.

The reason why people get pissed off is twofold. A) they are unwilling to accept the ruling and B) they feel slighted by it. This is going to happen no matter WHERE the ruling comes from, be it a die roll, a judge decision, or a predetermined ruling in a FAQ. However, if it's in a publicly available location and is distributed with the tournament documentation they have but themselves to blame.

Honestly? I'd recommend taking this FAQ as a base, cleaning up some of the horrible grammar and typos, and correcting the rulings that directly violate the text. That having been said, "You can put IC's in drop pods" isn't in direct violation of the text, there's just nothing that explicitly allows it. Gift of the Gods as Wargear? This directly contradicts the existing Chaos FAQ.
savaughn

Postby mauleed » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:53 am

Vinnie, if you guys are writing the missions for the NEWCC and then throw on a warmonger special edition FAQ, I can't say I think most people would be pleased. I know It would taint any victory you did achieve.

Pick some other club and have them write one, or have some consensus. You guys are already going to get enough grief when Jim reveals the "pods are boned" mission and none of the warmongers show up with pods. :rollin
mauleed

Postby WickerNipple » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:12 am

Please stop the nonsense.
WickerNipple

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:59 pm

Damn Ed, comin up with excuses already?

EDIT (in case it wasn't obvious): :p

And by the way, I saw Jim's scenarios, there's nothing about drop pods, but I think I should warn you that every model in your army equipped with two different two-handed weapons deducts the cost of one beer from your wallet for every warmonger present at the tournament (you do the math).
-FarseerVinnie

Postby mauleed » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:16 am

:rollin

Good thing lascannon aren't technically two handed weapons!

Anyway, my point was that writing your own FAQ is probably more problematic than only having the GW ones. I wasn't fishing for excuses. (as I won't need them!)

Besides, when I lose when do I not admit it was my own craptacular play?
mauleed

Postby -dumbuket » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:35 am

What's the logic behind leaping warriors not setting up during escalation? They're not beasts anymore. They don't fleet. Do wyches that pick the 12'' charge drug result get held back in escalation?
-dumbuket

Previous

Return to Warhammer 40,000