13th Company List... For a Friend.

Moderator: The Gunslinger

13th Company List... For a Friend.

Postby Ancow » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:47 pm

So my room mate is getting into 40k (huzzah!) and is in the start of doing a space wolves/13th company list. He's pretty keen on all the modeling/painting, but has little knowledge of tactics and what works, so who better to ask to make a devastating list out of an "eh" army than me? Here's what I threw together. He's pretty set on using wulfen as his troops because werewolves are awesome:

HQ - Wolf lord on bike, CCW/Frost Blade, Belt of Russ, Mark of the WUlfen, Runic Charm. Retunue of 4 storm claw bikers + pack leader, 3 powerfists.

Rune Priest - Terminator Armor, Frost blade, combimelta (goes with the long fangs)

Wolf Priest - 2 Lightning Claws, Fang of Morkai, Frags, Healing Potions and Balms, Runic Charm, Iron Wolf Amulet (Goes with wulfen squad)

Troops: 11 Wulfen w/ wolf priest, 12 wulfen

Fast Attack: 2 x 12 fenrisian wolves, 1 x 10 fenrisian wolves

Heavy: 5-man long fang pack gated around by the rune priest, 2 missile launchers, 2 las cannons.

Hows this look? Basically the 3 fenrisians tie up everything on a first turn charge 6" scout + 6" move + d6 + 12" charge = 25" minimum, closely followed by the wolf-lord rapesquad on bikes. The long fangs and rune priest gate around getting side/rear shots on armor with split fire, and the wulfen run their way up the board and make hell. How's it look?
Ancow

Re: 13th Company List... For a Friend.

Postby mauleed » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:02 pm

Friends don't let friends play 13th company.
mauleed

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:30 pm

Turn 1 charges are, IMO, bad news. They can make for some very unfriendly games. If someone feels tied up before they have the chance to roll dice, it can't bode well for their enjoyment of the game.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Ancow » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:31 pm

Ed- Whyfore?

Nidal- Not his fault if they decided to toe the deployment line against a swarm of fenrisians. I don think its that bad. I mean, look at Pete's comp at the Necro! :lol
Ancow

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:34 pm

But that's Pete. He can even use loaded dice and get away with it. :lol
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -thx10050 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:42 pm

Those Long Fangs need four melta guns, not heavy weapons if they're being Gated. Besides that, get some Talismans on the ICs so they're always hitting other units on a 3+ regardless of WS.
-thx10050

Postby Ancow » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:55 pm

The wolf lord with mark of the wulfen always hits on 3s anyway. Good call on the meltas, I'd like to keep one or two logn range weapons on there though in case they get gated more than 24" away from two targets. Melta the close one, las the other
Ancow

Postby deFl0 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:13 pm

I don't think first turn charges are abusive, especially in an army that it's a compoanant of the special rules. That should defiantely not be your deciding fact.

That said it shoudl be pointed out that the eye of terror codex has recently gone out of print and thus become illegal at GW tournaments, not a big deal at local tournies or playing locally , but I thoguht you should know. Make sure he likes the space wolves as a whole, as this list may at some point simply become a space wolf list.

Ok... Tactically, you know I think wolves are the crutch to this list so I think your on the right track (although i don;t think wolves get a scout move, but I might be wrong on that fact).

Also, a retnue of storm claw bikers, one I've not sure if that's legal, 2 they might still count as fast attack, definately check into both issues. If it is legal it's a great option I haven't thoguht of.

As for the wolf priest, realize you have a serious vulnerability with that squad... dreadnoughts or any walker for that matter. You can't touch them... Ouch. Melta bomb maybe?

The only thing I don't like abou the list in the long fangs.... Why do you want to send everyone in and leave the long fangs along and unprotected int he back. Screw that. Make them mobile. Give them a serg and 4 melta guns and attach them to the psycher with gate. They are your dedicated tank and character killers. It actaully works great as you can drop next to 2 tanks and split fire between the the two with the long fangs. If either group of 2 fails, shoot the combi melta.

Plus you can pop dread you can;t deal with :D

Oh and by the way, don;t thin kI didn;t notice that you get preferred enemy out of this deal...

Pete
deFl0

Postby -thx10050 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:20 pm

I'm pretty sure the Gate makes you count as moving for the purposes of shooting, so using both meltas and lascannons in the same squad won't work effectively.
-thx10050

Postby mauleed » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:31 pm

Quote:
Ed- Whyfore?

Because the list doesn't work, at all, against about half of what you'll face.
mauleed

Next

Return to Warhammer 40,000