13th Company List... For a Friend.

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Re: 13th Company List... For a Friend.

Postby Ancow » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:38 pm

Good call and point taken dave.

Petey: Everything in the army gets the scout USR, it's one of the army special rules. Hence everything: Wolves, bikers, and even long fangs can scout, which is good for moving the fangs in or out of LOS of a vehicle with the first turn.

As for the retinue of storm claw bikers, I'll double check it since ArmyBuilder can be dodgy. He can take a retinue of storm claws as a retinue, and they can all be given bikes. Illl double check the codex when I get home but I'm fairly certain its legal/not a FA choice. Good call on the melta bombs on the wolf priest. Also I'm definately gating the long fangs. Meant to since the beginning, definately going with the hot melta action now. I think it can work, and since GW never has tournements, he'll either be fine in indy stuff/casual play (remains to be seen how competative I can get him...), and if not it shouldnt be hard to do some counts-as and turn it into a fullfledged SW list. He likes the chapter in general, just finds 13th company to be a bit more awesome. I think this is a pretty solid list, and it actually kinda scares me a bit because literally everything in his army can make a first turn charge. Remember, Wolfen scout, move 6, then d6, then assault 12. So everything has a base range of 25 off the first turn. Disgusting. :x

As for the preferred enemy thing, I think its the perfect arrangement to have with your room mate. Its actually devastating on the table and makes for great games. I played a SW guy my first game of the Necro and we pretty much tabled eachother to a 26pt draw with about 2 models a piece left on the board. Good times.

Ed: Go walk down the Goya aisle of Shop-Rite and look through the candles for the one of Santo Jorge, Patron Saint of Hopeless Warhammer Armies. I know its really not the strongest list, but I think it can be reasonably effective and he's really in it for the fun of powered armored space viking werewolf bikers. I just want to give him as good a shot as I can for helping him with the list.
Ancow

Postby -scottfleming » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:42 am

The 13th company is really a list you have to love for the modelling oppurtunity. Some match-ups just will not go your way. However, being able to always deploy all of your army is a great advantage. I typically do not scout move with the bikes anymore. I believe the Scout rule in the rulebook replaces the version in the codex. I deploy the bikes - because they get the special rule - they just can't move.
As for the wolves - they are great for tying up units on the first round. I am a nice guy and gently remind new opponents that I have a potential 24" first round charge. That way no one should have any problem if they hang a unit out there to be charged. The wolves also benefit from all the special rules - including ATSKNF.

I have found that the long fangs have never worked for me. I actually gate a squad of 6 grey Slayers armed with two meltas and a pack leader with power fist. These guys can take a charge from most units that are hanging back with the tanks.

My philosophy is ignore armour if you can or deal with it in hand-to-hand. I have recently given my wolflord on a bike a thunderhammer in addition to the frostaxe just for this occasion. He has the speed and the number of attacks to take out most threats. In missions where only scoring units count he is expendible. I never field him with a retinue as he hangs back and hits mid-game where needed.

For a gating Priest I equip him with Terminator armour and a combi-melta. That way after he gates he can shoot at a different target than the squad he gated. If i'm lucky I can take out two tanks in one round. I'm very aggressive with him and have teleported off the table a few times or landed in bunkers, enemy troops, enemy tanks, a Great Unclean One, etc.

Wolfen are fun but useless without the Wolf Priest. They are too easily led around because they must charge or they are easily countered with armour. They hit hard in HtH and I don't waste too many points making the Priest hit harder. Keep him cheap. The healing balm is a good buy for him. The wolflord or a squad with a power fist should be close by if they run into something they can't damage.

If you friend likes the werewolf theme then use it only as a modeling oppurtunity - convert the hell out of the wolves, characters and pack leaders but don't take more than one squad of wolfen.
-scottfleming

Postby -Thrax » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:50 am

I'd echo Pete's concern about the list: Eye of Terror is going tits-up, so I'd avoid spending too much money on a list whose life is in danger. I'm sure alot of these units will be usable in a Space Wolves list though, whenever that comes out.

T
-Thrax

Postby deFl0 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:31 am

Ed,

I disagree with you, I think the wolfen list can be very competative in the right person's hands.

The tough lists are drop pod marines and mounted skimmer forces (I know daahh) but the teleporting melta guns can really drop tanks fast. Five mela guns on a falcon's rear armor has a damn good chance of dropping it and energy fields don't work on the back on the waversrpernt. Tau tanks simply can't get away from things like the bikes.

For drop pods... They better hope they kill entire squads because one character and a couple wolves will eat an entire squad really fast.

The dogs are really the trick. You have to shoot them or your dead, and if you shoot them everything else eats you. It's a catch 22 unless you are REALLY fast and can deploy in a line then collpase you flank to attack one half of his army with your entire force. At least that's my tactic against them .

George, one more thing, the storm claw bikers should have melta guns. 4 bikes are very fragile. I regulary lose 6 or 7 of them in a turn or 2 of shooting if my enemy wants to eliminate them, even with a turbo boost. So give them meltas and a mission and hug terrain. When we were screwing around with them I would delay my attack with them. Let the dogs tie people up and use the hth as a screen.

Pete
deFl0

Postby Ancow » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:27 am

Pete: I'm not sure but I think In the bike squads I have to choose between a melta or special CC weapon... and I think with the teleporting melta squad I might be better of tyring to hit them with extra power weapon attacks. Good suggestions though. SHould he consider another wolf-priest for the second wulfen unit? it'd mean possibly being a bit stuck with the long fangs but if you make them long-ranged types it might not be so bad. Otherwise just be careful with the direction of the other wulfen pack.

Also everyone can rest assured that I've explained the whole "13th company dissolving" and "Not the best list" thing to him before and really he doesn't give a shit, he really likes the army and wants it as so. I've suggested the converting thing and all, and he says he might expand it into normal SW later on, so more power to him. If it gets him into the game, that's good enough, and if he gets the bite later on to do something else, all the better.
Ancow

Postby -Demigod Complex » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:41 am

Dunno if it has been mentioned but last I checked (and perhaps this is a typo) but the Long Fangs can only take 4 + a pack leader and the pack leader isn't allowed anything from the space wolf armory, so the most you will get are four meltas, which are still pretty dangerous. And neither bikes nor models in Term. Armor nor Packs being lead by models in Term. Armor get the scout move, wolves do.

I like the list bro!

My bad I guess if you give the priest a combi-melta that is 5 shots ... I like it a lot.

Jordan
-Demigod Complex

Postby deFl0 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:12 am

Agreed, and the space wolf list is rude right now if you rn it as a drop pod force... Between everyone with true grit and counter attack, the scouts, the good venerable dreadnought and blood claws on bikes they have everything they need to be nasty.

As for the bike, I still think 2 meltas in better than the extra basic hth attacks. So you kill and extra grot... Big deal. Torching a tank or a character or better yet a skimmer and you've done good.

I only bring it up as the dev squad will get trashed early. They always tend to get smoked quick. Don;t forget that you can taxi. I've seen the psycher bounce in and out of squads all game long putting them where they need to be. Just dropped a tank on the other side of the board and they are entangeled? No problem, detach walk over and attach to the wolfen yank them onto the other side of the board, kill them next turn. You get the idea. You can even do it with your bikes or dogs...

Anyway, all that said, I think after the dogs and the gating guy I think storm claws are better than wolfen... Just my 2 cents.

Pete
deFl0

Postby -scottfleming » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:43 am

Can't teleport bikes.
Storm claws are usually better than wolfen, except when you really need that initiative 5.
-scottfleming

Postby mauleed » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:33 am

Pete: the list has no real answer for anything shooty. I really can't even imagine it having a chance against new Tau. And not having a shot against a shooty army immediately makes a list uncompetitive in my book.
mauleed

Postby Ancow » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:44 am

Pete: Its not 2 basic attacks, its powerfist/power weapon attacks. I have my choice in each squad to have 2 special weapons, this includes melta guns or powerfists.
Ancow

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer 40,000