1850 Big Bug Tyranid army list help please

Moderator: The Gunslinger

1850 Big Bug Tyranid army list help please

Postby -thx10050 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:51 am

Alrighty, well, now that my Deathwing army is more or less complete and since my Vampire Counts are well on their way to being finished, I'd like to start thinking about a new 40K army. I really like the way the Big Bug Tyranid army list plays in all the battle reports I've read about them, but I don't want to use the Tyranid models.

I've always liked the fluff for the Adeptus Mechanicus and even more, I really like the fluff for the Legio Cybernetica. So I was thinking of using the Tyranid rules to make what would look like an Adeptus Mechanicus force of Imperial Battle Robots. For example, my Heavy Gunfexes would be Dreadnought torsos on Ork Skorcha treads. My Elite Dakkafexes would be basically the Sentinel models beefed out with some plasticard and appropriate 'tech' bitz for the Robot look. I think I'll used a modified Inquisitor Tyrus from the Inquisitor range for my walking Tyrant with 3 Guard, which might be the Arcoflagellants from the same range. Any other modeling suggestions would be great, since everything will be converted somehow. I was thinking of making two Electro-Priests to use as my two Zoanthropes with Warp Blast and Synapse, but I'm not sure what to base the models on.

Anyways, the core of the army list is below. All I need to add are Troops, but I'm at a loss as to what to use. Spinegaunts with some Stealers?

Any thoughts or suggestions about army choice and modeling would be outstanding. Thanks.

Flyrant: Wings, 2 x Scything Talons, +1 WS, +1 I, Flesh Hooks, Warp Field, +1 Strength = 201

Walking Tyrant: +1 BS, +1 Strength, Venom Cannon, Strangler, 3 Tyrant Guard = 292

3 x Dakkafexes (Elite): 2 x TL-Devourers, +1 BS = 113 = 339

3 x Raveners (FA, squads of 1): Talons + Claws = 40 = 120

2 x Zoanthropes (Heavy, only use 1 slot): Warp Blast, Synapse = 65 = 130

2 x Gunfexes (Heavy) = Venom Cannon, Strangler, +1 BS, +1 Toughness, +1 Wound, +1 Armor Save, Spine Banks (little more shooting, frag grenades) = 213 = 426

Should be 342 pts left for Troops choices.
-thx10050

Re: 1850 Big Bug Tyranid army list help please

Postby The Gunslinger » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:42 am

Sounds like an interesting concept, but some people won't like the fact that the models and the codex your using for them don't really match. There will be certain special rules that only make sense for the codex they were written for.

One spin off of your idea (even though you don't want to use the nids models) would be to swap out nid body parts with robotic ones. Ie: a carnie has a sentinel leg & an autocannon enveloped by flesh, akin to obliterators, at least Jim's obliterators. That's what I envisioned when I read "Legio Cybernetica"... cyborgs are a mix of organics & robotics.

Let's see what other people think. :)
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby -thx10050 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Lou. I realize making models as close to WYSIWYG will be difficult, but I hope the overall concept and presentation of the army will win nay-sayers over. ;)

Here's a revised army list:

Flyrant: Wings, 2 x Scything Talons, +1 WS, +1 I, Flesh Hooks, Warp Field, +1 Strength, Miasma = 207

Walking Tyrant: +1 BS, +1 Strength, Venom Cannon, TL-Devourer, Flesh Hooks; 3 Tyrant Guard (Flesh Hooks) = 291

3 x Dakkafexes (Elite): 2 x TL-Devourers, +1 BS, Flesh Hooks = 114 = 342

6 x Raveners (FA, squads of 2): Talons + Claws = 40 = 240

3 x Zoanthropes (Heavy, only use 1 slot): Warp Blast, Synapse = 65 = 195

2 x Gunfexes (Heavy) = Venom Cannon, Strangler, +1 BS, +1 Toughness, +1 Wound, Spine Banks (little more shooting, frag grenades) = 188 = 376

3 x 10 Termagants = 60 = 180

19 pts left over
-thx10050

Postby -thehod » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:19 pm

Bio Plasma works well and place a few on some of the Big Dakka Fexe
-thehod

Postby -thx10050 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:34 pm

Alrighty, here's my revised version of the army list. As Andy well knows, credit goes to DakkaDakka for army list inspiration based on the army lists, bat reps, and other goodies related to the Big Bug army posted there. :D

I decided to go the Psychic Choir route and see what happens. That being said, my Flyrant currently has dual roles in the army (in addition to supplying synapse), so we'll see which one I fall back on if he isn't so good in his close combat role.

HQ:

Multipurpose Flyrant: Enhanced Senses + Wings + Warp Field + Toxin Sacs + 2 x TL Devourers + Initiative Gland + Weapon Skill Gland + Implant Attack = 227 pts

Okay, like I said, my Flyrant has dual roles: 1) Harrass and make the enemy throw a lot of armor saves with twelve shots at eighteen inches, re-rolling misses and wounds. 2) Dogpile into close combat to help tilt the balance in some way. Along with this, however, I've also kitted him out to take on enemy ICs, with extra initiative, WS, and the Implant Attack. With his 3 attacks (4 on the charge) he can do 6-8 wounds to a multi-wound IC and shoot the crap out of the enemy IC too before charging. He's mostly there to help handle Big Nasties (like fellow Flyrants and uber-Daemon Princes) with his Implant Attacks. However, if he falls short of this role due to fewer attacks than most ICs, I'll bring him back down to his shooty role and use the extra points elsewhere. I know, I know: the jack-of-all-trades doesn't usually accomplish anything spectacular, but who knows?

Walking Tyrant: Enhanced Senses + Toxin Sacs + TL-Devourer + Venom Cannon + Psychic Scream + 2 x Tyrant Guard = 249 pts

Standard walking Tyrant. Only thing I'm iffy on are the Guard. On the one hand, they present a good opportunity for some nice Ad Mech conversions. On the other, after they're dead, the Tyrant's barely considered a scoring unit. I mean, he'd be dead after four wounds anyways without Guard, but... Thoughts?

Elites:

3 x Dakkafexes: Enhanced Senses + 2 x TL-Devourers = 113 x 3 = 339 pts

Standard shooty Fexes. Hard to shift when in cover, can lumber out and deal some death later on in close combat during clean up.

Heavy Support:

3 x Zoanthropes: Warp Blast + Psychic Scream = 65 x 3 = 195 pts

Tank hunting beasties and they make up the Choir with the walking Tyrant.

2 x Gunfexes: Enhanced Senses + Reinforced Chitin + Bonded Exoskeleton + Barbed Strangler + Venom Cannon = 183 x 2 = 366 pts

Additional tank hunting beasties and infantry pie-platers. Toughness 7 and five wounds when in cover also makes these guys tough to shift.

Troops:

2 x 10 Termagants (two units of 10) = Fleshborers = 20 x 6 = 120 pts

Standard little guys. Basically Kasrkin models with cybernetic bitz and extra plasticard armor (maybe GS cloaks if I can find someone to sculpt them for me). Not really sure how I'll use them. Probably for harrassment, baiting, and perhaps to run forward using Fleet and tie a squad or two up if they're in Synapse range.

Fast Attack:

8 x Raveners (one unit of 4, two units of 2): Rending Claws/Scything Talons = 40 x 8 = 320 pts

One heavy hitting unit and two units capable of holding their own against small to mid-size squads without hidden power fists. Also good at piling in to save the Big Bugs with high initiative attacks in close combat. Not sure whether to Deep Strike them or keep them mobile. I think keeping them mobile will be the best idea, behind the Big Bug wall.

1816 pts total. Any thoughts on how to use the remaining points?
-thx10050

Postby elrodogg » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:50 pm

I may be mistaken, but I thought that a tyrant with wings couldn't get the extended carapace (it's +1 armor save right). I thought the only way to get him a 2+ save was to give him the psychic power.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby -thx10050 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:52 pm

Hehe... Whoops! You're probably right. Let me double-check...

Be back in a minute.

Edit: Yep, you're absolutely correct. I've edited the army list and replaced Carapace + Scream with Warp Field. Still, a -4 LD Choir should work. I think...
-thx10050

Postby subversive » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:23 am

Quote:
On the other, after they're dead, the Tyrant's not a scoring unit anymore.

Question: this came up in my club Hive Tyrants are listed as monsterous creatures. They are NOT listed as independent characters. Monsterous creatures are scoring units, are they not? Or is he not a scoring unit anymore because the guard were part of the unit and they're gone
subversive

Postby -thx10050 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:08 am

Yes, the Tyrant is considered a scoring unit because he's an MC and NOT an IC, as you said.

In my example above, yes, if the two Guard died (4 wounds out of an 8 wound unit) and the Tyrant then took a single wound, he'd be considered a non-scoring unit due to calculating multi-wound units by wounds for scoring status instead of models.
-thx10050

Return to Warhammer 40,000