Do you guys play the new CoD?

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Do you guys play the new CoD?

Postby -dumbuket » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:14 am

Haven't been over in, what... a year? I'd like to start playing again, and cities of death seems pretty cool. Do you guys use the ruleset much?
-dumbuket

Re: Do you guys play the new CoD?

Postby mauleed » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:42 pm

I've been playing it in a campaign. It's really very good. Alot of crap units that stink in regular 40k are viable in CoD. My thousand sons are undefeated!

Personally I think it's the ultimate way to force balanced lists in tournaments. Just make 1 game CoD in every tournament and all of the old power lists are suddenly not such a great idea and balanced lists make alot more sense.
mauleed

Postby -Sgt Dirty Dozen » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:45 pm

I'm not a war-monger, but my shop has been having a great time of it. Not only does it restore the viabilty of some units, but it also creaes a new feel to the game without distoring it.
Thus it has restored out zeal for the game.

It is very nice to see some of the "old standby" units suddenly lose some of thier worth.
-Sgt Dirty Dozen

Postby Flavius Infernus » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:50 pm

I've played a few games (with Eldar) and I second Ed's assessment. The strengths and weaknesses of various units get changed around so that you have to alter tactics, and that keeps it interesting.

For example, falcons can't enter or claim buildings, so they become in effect like non-scoring units. Rangers are excellent with their usually 3+ cover saves, and with the master sniper strategem their AP1 shots become deadly. I didn't get a chance to try this, but a fortuned seer council in a medical facility has something like a 12% chance (per wound) of actually taking a casualty.

However, so far I've never played a CoD game in which both players did not select preliminary bombardment--seems like a no-brainer.
Flavius Infernus

Postby mauleed » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:13 pm

What would be interesting is if 1/3 of the tables at the NEWCC were cityfight and played CoD games on them. That would certainly shake things up.
mauleed

Postby -Thrax » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:18 pm

I've heard nothing but good things about the rulesset. Finally, a chance for Warp Spiders to shine!

T
-Thrax

Postby WickerNipple » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:20 pm

We've just added a whole bunch of city terrain that will hopefully be fully painted by NEWCC-time.

I don't know if we'll be able to provide enough for that many city fight tables though.

CoD will definitely be in the consideration though, have no fear.
WickerNipple

Postby mauleed » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:57 am

Well, one option is to insist that each club bring enough cityfight terrain to do one table. That's more than enough to do it, and between 5 guys should be pretty doable.

And it's something else we could compete over.
mauleed

Postby Ancow » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:10 am

Well if even Ed can go undefeated in cityfight with Thousand Sons, best just to give me the NEWCC best general award now.
Ancow

Postby mauleed » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:00 am

Ancow, you have to actually win something with your thousand sons before you get to claim to be the thousand sons guru. There is no "tenacity" award for simply showing up and consistently finishing in the middle of the pack with an army that people say you can't win with.
mauleed

Next

Return to Warhammer 40,000