Brood Lord

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Brood Lord

Postby -GESSIG » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:54 pm

Has anyone had much success with a Brood Lord? How could a Brood Lord and Winged HT work together? Are you just better off with 2 Hive Tyrants instead of using a Brood Lord?
-GESSIG

Re: Brood Lord

Postby The Gunslinger » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:07 am

Depends on your style I guess. The broodlord opens up some possibilities by having an infiltrating synapse creature, with genestealers taggin along. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either 2 HT's or 1 HT & 1 BL
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby -Jarrett » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:24 am

I agree that both will work. I think the second hive tyrant is more reliable and easier to use effectively. I use it to add to my fire support and as a core of synapse. With guard its extremely hard to take down, I can't remember the last time I lost the thing.

The Broodlord is still nasty and gives you those infiltrators which cannot be overlooked. I think it's a solid option that's worth learning to use.
-Jarrett

Postby subversive » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:02 am

one of the guys in my club likes the HT/BL combo. If you ignore it, it eats half your army. If you don't, by the time you've dealt with it, the rest of his army is on top of you
subversive

Postby -Thrax » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:05 am

I have played the HT/BL army and the latter scenario happened. :x

Luckily, he didn't have that much synapse in his force outside of his two biggies, so a few well-placed shots sent many of the gaunts running. But it was tense for a while.

T
-Thrax

Postby mauleed » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:49 am

I'm not overly impressed with the brood lord. Perhaps if he didn't slow the whole squad down to 6"+6" I'd be worried, but as it stands now, it's relatively easy to make sure he only ever eats one squad.
mauleed

Postby -LcKedovan » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:58 am

Thrax, you play? :p

Ed, too right. Personally I think it is a bit idiotic to have this genestealer on steroids yet he can't fleet with the rest of his brood. Then again, when did GW ever make sense?

:

-W
-LcKedovan

Postby -Thrax » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:12 pm

Heh. :o Only when I'm not chasing tail. :hat

T
-Thrax

Postby deFl0 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:41 pm

The brood lord was definately a little disapointing. The loss of fleet was a little silly in my mind. I understand why they did it, but I don;t think they were forward thinking enough...

That said, I think the two times people played brood lords against me they used the incorrectly.

Both times they ran right at me turn one. I had to devote a chunk of my force to deal with it which game the rest of the army a chance to get there, but I think it's too expensive as a distraction unit, especially when you should be taking upgrades like extra carapace for a unit that will recieve som much small arms fire.

Personally, I feel they would be more effective as a delayed charge unit. Let the rest of the army advance for 2 turn, then launch the brood lord assualt, in combo with lictors, and other units.

With this concept, the brood lord acts as area denial. People will run away fromt he unt, not engage it, and then the broodlord become a very strong mid to end game swing unit.

Pete
deFl0

Postby mauleed » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:34 am

Pete, that's exactly the right way to use the unit, but it's still awefully hard to make it deny enough area to pay for itself.

I'm sure it's an excellent cityfight unit.
mauleed

Return to Warhammer 40,000