Revised Deathwing with drop pods

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Revised Deathwing with drop pods

Postby -thx10050 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:55 pm

Well, I've got three drop pods I can use and a few Dreads I haven't used in a long time. Here's what I'm thinking of running as my new drop podding Blingwing:

Epistolary Librarian: Force weapon, teleport homer, Fear + Fury, Furious Charge; Command squad: 4 Terminators, 2 assault cannons, Furious Charge. Drop Pod.

2 x Dreads (One Venerable): assault cannons, heavy flamers, extra armor. Drop Pods.

2 x Deathwing squads: 2 assault cannons, teleport homers, Tank Hunters

2 x Deathwing squads: 2 assault cannons

1849 pts: 25 Terminators, 2 Dreads, 3 Pods

Basically, two heavy flamers drop in and hopefully distract/kill stuff and are then thrown at enemy units that can't hurt them in close combat and/or eat Terminators, like Bloodletters for example. Four squads of Terminators can start on the board if the need arises and wait for the drop pod reinforcements.

If I drop a homer, I could give two squads chain fists. Worth it?
-thx10050

Re: Revised Deathwing with drop pods

Postby deFl0 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:19 pm

I realize the assult cannons are more ubiquitous, but are assult cannons with tank hunter really better than the cyclone missle launcher with tank hunting?

In any case, I think the dreads add a strong element to the list, and there are simply situations like bloodletters where dreads are strictly better.

As for the chain fists, do you charge vehicles a lot with powerfists to make up for tank hunting? If so, I'd say take them, it defines the rolls of the squad a little bit more. I's put one in each tank hunting squad.

Pete
deFl0

Postby -thx10050 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:30 pm

The Tank Hunters are solely there for AV 12 skimmers (meaning Falcons all around). Against that armor, the Tank Hunters makes the chance of glancing twice as good by lowering the die roll to a 5, instead of having to roll a 6 all the time. I've found it to be immensely helpeful in several proxy situations as I haven't yet faced Tom's Falcons with Tank Hunting cannons. And I find it better to have 8 shots in those sorts of situations than only two from the CMLs. Granted, CMLs are more useful at long range, but also cost more points. Now if only CMLs were twin-linked... :)

Oh, and as for charging vehicles, it really depends. Sometimes I'm pretty sure the assault cannons won't help (like against Falcons, Hammerheads to the front, AV 14 to the front or all around, etc). And thus I try to charge to make up for the assault cannons fire with loads of power fist attacks. It doesn't always work, like against Jim's Monolith... :lol
-thx10050

Postby mauleed » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:10 am

It's a great list. The only thing I'd consider is finding some way to cram in venerable on one of the dreads. Lose the storm bolter on the librarain and one homer and you've got it.
mauleed

Postby -thx10050 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:33 am

Good call on the Venerable, Ed. Done.
-thx10050

Postby Flavius Infernus » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:47 am

A weapon with str 7 and 4 shots (i.e. a tank-hunting assault cannon) has a statistically better chance of actually hurting a falcon than any other shooting weapon available to space marines.

Average number of glancing hits per volley on a falcon moving fast @BS4
Krak missile: .33
lascannon/rapid-fire plasma/autocannon: .4356
Assault cannon: .4488
melta weapon at short range: .6072
AC + Tankhunter: .8712

This also helps you with Tau skimmers too, where the sheer number of glancing hits is more important than very high penetration rolls.
Flavius Infernus

Postby -thx10050 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:13 am

Awesome, Tom, thanks for the breakdown of math. :)
-thx10050

Postby mauleed » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:47 am

It's funny, but I was considering switching to deathwing a few months ago, strictly so no one could complain about my list, and this is almost exactly what I came up with. Funny.
mauleed

Postby -thx10050 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:56 am

Personally speaking, I've made a lot of Deathwing army lists (because it's the only army I play in 40K), even ones I can't field because of the lack of models. They range all over the place, from three Land Raiders through to thirteen assault cannons and everywhere in between. During the Warmonger tourney in May, I took two CML squads instead of the drop pods and Dreads. Figured I'd try to use the Dreads now instead, even though my first tournament army had three drop podding Dreads.

This army list seems to be the best balance I could come up with in terms of using drop pods, save for the Venerable suggestion.
-thx10050

Return to Warhammer 40,000