Malifaux Campaign!

Historical Wargames, BFG, Mordheim, Epic, CCGs, video games etc.

Malifaux Campaign!

Postby Guy In Suit » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:16 am

Fall Malifaux Campaign!

To promote Rising Powers and Malifaux in general I’d like to run a campaign this Fall, starting after Crossroads and ending before the Thanksgiving holiday.

It’s going to be very simple. Play between two and four games against different opponents every two weeks. After the two weeks are up, email me who you played and the results. I cross-check everything and give you your points. Then, the Soulstone count goes up by 5 and we do it again. The campaign will be three two-week rounds, 25SS, 30SS and then 35SS. This should allow players to expand their crews organically as they gain experience.
As some will be playing for the first time, only Book 1 and it’s Errata will be required to play. We will be using the Book 1 Strategies and Schemes charts, however the Book 2 definitions will be used. This is necessary due to some inherent brokenness in particular schemes and strategies. If players don’t have Book 2 yet let me know I will get you the Strategy and Scheme cards you need.

Book 2 models will be allowed IF they have been released. No proxies from Rising Powers. Book 1 proxies are fine. This will help soften the learning curve for newer players.

When you sign up, declare your Faction for Round One, and that’s it. Otherwise it is straight up tourney Malifaux. Models will be chosen after Strategies are flipped using the available Soul Stones. Once the game is complete, jot down each player’s selected Master, Strategy and Schemes and the final score and send it to me. Scoring will be kept under wraps between rounds, but will be done in a way that playing more games will not penalize you. If you’d like to change Factions between rounds, Let me know after your last game of the round but before you play any games for the next round.

Painting Bonus!

The first game in which a model is used with a new paintjob, it gets a bonus! Filled with confidence from its sexy new looks, the model ignores the Black Joker for casting, combat, and willpower duels or damage flip. Treat it as an Ace with no suit instead. Note this doesn’t affect First round games. Basically if you showed up in week one with an unpainted model and in week two he is painted, he gets the bonus for his first week-two game.

Does this sound good to everyone? This was just a first draft and I’d appreciate feedback.
Cheers.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Re: Malifaux Campaign!

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:44 am

I'm in!

Just so I'm clear though - I definitely shouldn't bother painting anything at all until after week 1, right? :lol:
WickerNipple

Postby Guy In Suit » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:48 am

Don't bother FINISHING them at least ;)

Its not a big enough bonus to be game-breaking, just a bit of fun.
Guy In Suit

Malifaux Campaign!

Postby Daggermouth » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:42 pm

Sounds fun! Sign me up.

Ressurs in the house!
Ian
Daggermouth

Postby Leenus » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:34 pm

I want to play before I go... I need to play all 6 games on Thursday... Everyone be there!
Leenus

Postby SteveinNYC » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:31 pm

I'd get in on this, if I can start showing up. Anyone playing on weekends?
SteveinNYC

Postby Guy In Suit » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:27 pm

SteveinNYC wrote: Anyone playing on weekends?

Absolutely. Its an easy way to get a bunch of games in.

Also, do us a favor and spread the word amongst the Warmachine crowd. I know a lot of them have crews but am not sure how often they check the boards.
Guy In Suit

Postby Guy In Suit » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:56 am

OK, so some have approached me about the proxying.

Just to re-iterate my original point, I want this to be easy for new guys to jump right in. Many of the new models in Book 2 are complicated and fundamentally change how crew work. Others are very difficult to figure out for an opponent. Some are pretty plain Jane and don't do much other than be cool and different. Another issue that even experienced players have is telling what the eff something is sometimes.

Maybe the answer is to allow them on request or specifically say don't bring XY and Z?

One thing I am rally against is using the same model to proxy multiple things or just having proxies that just generally don't capture what a model is and does. I mean yall are pretty good about this, but in anything competitive there is a temptation to push it a litle and I don't want anyone to feel burned. So DEFINITELY no showing up a Mobile Toolkit and then next week the same model is Kaeris or any shit like that.

What are you guys' thoughts? I obviously want to encourage everyone as much as possible, I just know that when I am a new player, things like proxies and extra rules can be a big turn off.
Guy In Suit

Postby SteveinNYC » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:45 pm

All I've got is the Lady Justice starter, so either I proxy or play that many points ...
SteveinNYC

Postby Guy In Suit » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:49 pm

The lady justice box is a bad ass 25 Stone crew, so your good for the first two weeks. ;)
Guy In Suit

Next

Return to Other Games