Magic The Gathering, need some advice

Historical Wargames, BFG, Mordheim, Epic, CCGs, video games etc.

Postby Daggermouth » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:53 pm

I should preface this by saying that my knowledge of magic is limited, and have never played the game:

So, two of my wife's cousins just started getting into MTG over the past few months. Both of them are thoroughly addicted to Black Ops, and I'd like to encourage them away from video games and towards more conventional table top gaming, so I've decided to get myself a deck. I wanted to stay away from their colors (red and green), so I started doing a bit of research and came to the decision that I either want to go a white/blue combo (or possibly black). Any opinions on either of these decks and their playstyles?

I was thinking that the best way to start would be to just get the core 2011 set and start there. I've also been looking into the pre constructed "duel deck" sets, there's a set that has a blue and a white deck called Elspeth vs. Tezzeret. Does anyone know if getting these duel decks would allow me to "mix and match" and come up with a working white/blue to start with? There are also duel deck sets that come with black decks, though I can't think of any right now. I really want to avoid jumping into this game by buying a bunch of boosters only to find that I didn't get anything useful.
Ian
Daggermouth

Re: Magic The Gathering, need some advice

Postby WickerNipple » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:45 am

WickerNipple

Postby Daggermouth » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:10 am

You and your funny, yet totally unhelpful, picture responses.
Ian
Daggermouth

Postby ampao » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:29 am

precon decks are a good start!
ampao

Postby Anger Worm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:12 am

Magic is the kind of game where you either play it very casually or you go full bore. If your cousins are into it then they're going to buy more and more boosters, research combos and smash you. They also may get competitive and want to keep up with the tournament scene. That means decks cycle out with new sets every few months, so your cards become useless/Type 1/Type 1.5 (old card-style tournaments) and you need to buy new ones. The reason type 1/1.5 isn't viable is because the really old cards are uber.

I sold all my good stuff years ago, but I kept a bunch of cards purely for drafting from a big mix of commons/uncommons. It's renewed my affection for the game, but treating it as anything beyond casual = Andy's photo. It's designed to keep you buying regularly, and for any successful build you'll likely need 4 of one or more rares, which can run $10-$20 a pop.

All that said, if you decide you want to play I'd be happy to show you the ropes. I'm finding it an excellent game for miniature tournament evenings.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby Daggermouth » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:06 am

I really am just looking to get into it casually, as I don't think I'll really play all that often. If they get serious about the game and start destroying me... well, I can always beat them at arm wrestling :)

I'm reading that white/blue is powerful, but difficult to learn with, should I take that into consideration and go black instead?
Ian
Daggermouth

Postby elrodogg » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:21 am

Go online, find the images of all the best cards and print out whatever cards you want. Then take those printouts and put them into a sleeve with a card. Voila. MtG done on a budget.
elrodogg

Postby Daggermouth » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:09 pm

Good idea. Lol
Ian
Daggermouth

Postby Anger Worm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:19 pm

The difficulty of the deck depends on the cards, not the colors. Blue/White control is more timing dependent then say, a green creature horde, but if you understand how your cards work together it's all pretty straightforward.

As for bootleg printout magic, why not just play online? Oh wait, then it's a video game again!
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby Daggermouth » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:10 pm

I think I may get the deckbuilders toolkit and then just print out the rares/expensive cards and see what else I need. Does this sound like a feasible start or should I just go with an intro pack?

As it turns out the duel decks are limited run and then they stop making them, so they end up being really expensive.
Ian
Daggermouth

Next

Return to Other Games