Magic The Gathering, need some advice

Historical Wargames, BFG, Mordheim, Epic, CCGs, video games etc.

Postby Daggermouth » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:21 pm

I can imagine that the tournament scene is rampant with that kind of craziness. Card stock + photo printer = profit
Ian
Daggermouth

Re: Magic The Gathering, need some advice

Postby Larro » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:41 pm

I still have viable Vintage decks, and it would be the only format of M:TG I'd ever consider playing again outside of Drafting, being Jarrett-draft or real booster Draft. Most Vintage formats these days allow 10-15 proxies, i.e. everyone can Proxy the Power 9 if needed, along with a few spot-rares like $80 Jace Mind Sculptors. But even more importantly IMO is that there more are than just 2-3 "top" decks at a given time like there is in Standard/Type II. In Vintage, there tend to be 8-10 commonly played decks, as well as extra sub-decks that build off of the above mentioned nucleus of 8-10 but use different combos. Throw in one-off rogue decks that can succeed but aren't heavily played (this is what Jarrett and I used to do, and had good success with even vs. Power 9 decks back in our Type I tourney days), and you have a MUCH more interesting format than ANYTHING other than Drafting.

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby Daggermouth » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:57 pm

That definitely sounds better than trying to keep up with all the most powerful decks in type 2, but I do want to start with a standard legal deck to play with my cousin because that's what he plays. We'll probably end up doing booster drafts when we play because it's a fun way to play while keeping the power of the decks down. It's also a good way to casually grow my/his collection seeing as how we play different colors.

He's not super serious about the competitive aspect of the game (he said the people at the tourneys take it way to seriously), so I'm not too worried about him powering his deck up to a place where it's not in to play against. Plus, he's 15 and doesn't have the money to do that. But proxies sound like a good idea!
Ian
Daggermouth

Postby slann » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:35 pm

Agree with larry , that's what my son plays when he plays with his friends in school that's why I was able to make him a burn deck that wins 85 percent of the time , goblin grenade for the win ,lol
Would you rather pew pew pew pew or chic chic BLAM !!! chic chic BLAM !!!!
slann

Postby jer732 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:54 pm

Yeah goblin grenade!
jer732

Postby ampao » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:59 pm

d'oh!
Last edited by ampao on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
ampao

Postby dooms33ker » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:26 pm

I just recently dug up my old MTG cards as an alternative to Warhammer. I've got two legacy decks if anyone is interested. I don't do proxies by the way so vintage is pretty much out of the question; not to mention the fact that the power 9 should not be in every single deck. All of my cards are pre-2003.

If any one is interested let me know.

Max
Max
dooms33ker

Postby Bauhaus » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:58 pm

You mean I can wip out my $400 Exodus decks? Survival of the Fitist/Recurring Nightmare/Pit Spawn...

I love my Slivers too! (Anyone have a Sliver Queen?)

I haven't played since turning to Warhammer but what's been said is too true - you can end up spending a lot of money to get a competitive deck that's then banned shortly after.

Fun for our group play was to just use the cheapist "horde" decks and play fast. You can beat a really good deck quickly with a cheap white deck.
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Postby dooms33ker » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:29 pm

Bauhaus wrote:You mean I can wip out my $400 Exodus decks? Survival of the Fitist/Recurring Nightmare/Pit Spawn...

I love my Slivers too! (Anyone have a Sliver Queen?)

I haven't played since turning to Warhammer but what's been said is too true - you can end up spending a lot of money to get a competitive deck that's then banned shortly after.

Fun for our group play was to just use the cheapist "horde" decks and play fast. You can beat a really good deck quickly with a cheap white deck.

Well sure, except that survival of the fittest is now banned in legacy... I think that legacy is the best format considering it lets you play with most of your cards yet keeps out the ones that break the game.

I can come down next Thursday if anyone wants to play.
Max
dooms33ker

Postby Bauhaus » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:12 pm

Yes, I know it was banned - that's why I said you can spend a lot of money (I bought 4 boster boxes!) and then have your deck banned (in the sense that Survival was what the deck was built around). I will have to look up what's legal in legacy and compare to my decks.

My card group eventually turned from Magic to L5R and Netrunner (?). I also liked to play Doomtown (I like to play where you had a "real" deck - no duplicates).
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games