Re: Antiquity through Renaissance Gaming?

Historical Wargames, BFG, Mordheim, Epic, CCGs, video games etc.

Postby Lanceocletian » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:11 pm

Hey Guys,

Out of curiosity, what is the most popular historical system(s) for antiquity through Renaissance in New York (assuming there are enough players to support any system)?

By late fall or early spring I am hoping to get back into doing 1-2 historical systems, but when I did some brief research over the past week, it seems valid to say there is hardly anything approaching a dominant system.

At the 15mm scale, it seems to be DBA, DBMM or Field of Glory for most people in the country, but is one more common in the Northeast?

At the 25/28mm scale it seems WAB (rapidly bleeding players w/o support), Impetus, and Hail Caesar are the most common systems, but I still didn’t see a strong winner amongst these rules.

If there is an active group in the city, could someone pm some contact info?

Thanks,

Lance
Lanceocletian

Re: Re: Antiquity through Renaissance Gaming?

Postby Guy In Suit » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:20 pm

I have no idea!

But the guys in Brooklyn play a lot of Historicals - might want to post over there.

http://www.nycwargames.com/
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Anger Worm » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:36 pm

You also might want to talk to John Bianchi as he's our local historicals guru. He's Miles Gloriousus on these forums.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby genghis ken » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:17 pm

Hey! What about me? I'm a historicals player too.
genghis ken

Postby Anger Worm » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:03 pm

Bianchi's lackey.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby Miles Gloriousus » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:09 pm

Ha! I'm Ken's lackey, not the other way around.

Lance, right now there is no dominant system for ancients-medievals, not in nyc. NY historical wargamers on 10th and 23rd tend to play Artie Conliffe's systems, and Metropolitan wargamers in brooklyn play several games. We play WAB with them fairly often. Right now, we've taken a break from ancients and we're playing a lot of WWII. We still play WAB most often, but we were talking about trying War & Conquest. No one in NYC plays DBM or DBA; FoG is also a no show here. Hail Ceasar and Impetus and Clash of Empires arent played at all here. Hail Caesar is fun, but we tend not to play big cooperative games and favor more competitive systems that you can play out in 2 hours.

Right now, for HMGS cons, we do WAB, Great War, War & Conquest, and Disposible Heroes.

Im writing up some lists for publication for War amd Conquest, so i think thats the direction we'll go in here, and I'll probably enlist some of the Metropolitans in testing them out.
"Let haste be made! I cannot be delayed:
There are lands to conquer, cities to loot and peoples to degrade!" -- Miles Gloriousus
Miles Gloriousus

Postby Lanceocletian » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:35 am

Thanks Guys-

John and Ken- Could one of you PM me the info the Manhattan based groups? Also, keep me in the loop for when the group starts to trend back to WAB and War and Conquest. I looked over some War and Conquest reviews last night after your post and it seems like a well designed system.
Lanceocletian

Return to Other Games