Magic Phase

This is for Playtesting the Indy GT Chaos Dwarf update

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Magic Phase

Postby Matt » Wed May 13, 2009 2:17 pm

I didn't see a section for this, so I'd thought I start one.

When designing a list, don't just look at average, also look at the most abusive possible.
bound 5, 2 bound 4's, bound 3, bound 4 banner, and 2 spells (bound 7).

Even if you dispel the +2 to the rest of the bound spells, you're going up against, 7, 7, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3.
That seems pretty damn good to me.

What does seem weak is the magical defense. They are capped at 5 dispel dice + scrolls.

What also seems odd is the lack of miscasting. Their living in the chaos wastelands, they are enslaving daemons. If anything, I would think they should miscast MORE.

Finally, the banner of cleansing flame doesn't make sense to me. Seems odd that they get a lore of light spell.
Something from Lore of Metal would seem to make more sense to me.

-Matt
Matt

Re: Magic Phase

Postby mattbird » Wed May 13, 2009 2:28 pm

thanks!

they start with 4 dice, like dwarves, so can get up to 7 total.

The rest of it.. well, all of it frankly... I have reservations about, and need to see it in action. I lean towards going back to a normal magic phase at this point.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Matt » Wed May 13, 2009 8:33 pm

mattbird wrote:thanks!

they start with 4 dice, like dwarves, so can get up to 7 total.

The rest of it.. well, all of it frankly... I have reservations about, and need to see it in action. I lean towards going back to a normal magic phase at this point.

I missed how they get more than 5. They start with 4, the item gives them +1. Do the other 2 come from the priest? I thought he didn't make dispel dice.

That item them removes power/dispel dice is pretty good considering that the Priest doesn't currently use power dice at all. Use it in your own phase, and your casting is unaffected while your opponent loses D3 dispel dice.

Here's a thought...
What if the Daemon Weapons, rather than having a bound spell, generated power dice and had a normal spell? Even if the spell was easy to cast (like on a 5+, generates 2 dice), I kind of like the idea.
This would make having daemon weapons a little more risky, as their use could actually miscast.

Another thought would be just to have normal magic. Keep the priest a level 3 or 4, add in a level 1/2 guy, and give them limited lores (metal, fire, shadow, death) and the specialty lore.

I like the ideas put forth, but considering some players who face this in a tournament will have no idea about this list, keeping things more 'normal' may be a good idea.

-Matt
Matt

Postby method » Wed May 13, 2009 11:25 pm

i like their magic phase...
method

Postby GeneralofChaos13 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:35 am

I think with CD you should keep the magic system simple & easy. You should not go for a Tomb King type of magic system [based on bound spells], I would not even make up a new Lore for Chaos Dwarfs. I would keep it simple, so it easy to understand for ANY person playing against CD. Remember if this list is going to used at East Coast Indy GT's, you want it to be easy to understand.

GoC
GeneralofChaos13

Postby Anger Worm » Thu May 14, 2009 12:51 am

I think you should do the opposite of whatever George says!
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby mattbird » Thu May 14, 2009 10:57 am

I hate to admit it, but... I agree with George.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby pjschard » Thu May 14, 2009 11:31 am

tbh
I think this is the thing I would be most hesitant to change
After reading all the comments, and how every unit is comparable to another unit in the game (as it is going to be in a hybrid army)
The one thing I would keep unique is the magic system.
It makes sense to me that magic would be unreliable, with the potential to be great if you roll right...
IMO Dwarves shouldn't be adept at magic, they are resistant to it, but magic being magic there should be a chance of a devastating round every once in a while (which this list has on both sides.)
If all the other units are going to be explained as "This works like a Stegadon, but...."
I don't see a problem with having a semi complicated magic phase.
pjschard

Postby GeneralofChaos13 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:55 am

I perfer to see a Chaos Dwarf army that keeps to the fluff of past edition of CD armies. It's not that I do not like the concept? I do. But if you keep to the fluff of past editions of Chaos Dwarfs & keep it's magic system simple? You have a winner on your hands. You do not want to go outside the blue print that GW has used since the start of CD. Has this bound Chaos Dwarf magic phase been used in past additions? If not you might want to re-think this decision. Plus what system is more easy to use and to understand?

Some people at these East Coast Indy GT's will be facing this list for the first time. You want the game to flow and not have a bunch of rules questions pop up over the magic phase or any other part of the new army book. I wish you the best of luck, because I love to add a 4th Chaos army to my collection.

GoC
GeneralofChaos13

Postby method » Thu May 14, 2009 6:15 pm

i like their magic phase, and honestly the average GT player has a strong grasp of the rules....it's not as if you are playing newbies to the hobby...
method

Next

Return to Indy GT Chaos Dwarf Playtest Forum