Ideas for "new" units

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Ideas for "new" units

Postby Anger Worm » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:02 pm

I think there's a lot of potential in slave units. I'd like to see a decent version of the slave giant, and enslaved ogres.

You could also have enslaved mixed-race units that run around led by slavemasters and explode when the slaves make a run for it, killing everything that stands in the way of their freedom!
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Re: Ideas for "new" units

Postby warmongerclub » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:16 am

I agree that slaves of some sort should be included. I always sorta liked that aspect of the CD fluff. I did not like it just being units straight out of the O&G book though.
warmongerclub

Postby Anger Worm » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:43 am

Yeah, I think it's a defining feature of the race, but just cut and paste orc units dont cut it. Slaves should behave differently. I imagine chaos dwarfs pulling out trolls and giants and ogres chained up like the trolls in LOTR, or goading orcs hardened from pit fighting in loose packs with whips. There's a lot of potential there.

And come on, exploding slave unit anyone?
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby mauleed » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:09 am

Skirmishing orc pit fighters!
mauleed

Postby elrodogg » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:09 am

Throwing things into the wishlist pile... I would love to see bull centaur characters allow for units of bull centaurs to be treated as core. Bull centaur lord = 2 units, each bull centaur hero = 1 unit.

Swivel guns, tenderisers and BT's should 2 for 1 specials I imagine.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby Guy In Suit » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:34 am

Ronen Warrior wrote:Throwing things into the wishlist pile... I would love to see bull centaur characters allow for units of bull centaurs to be treated as core. Bull centaur lord = 2 units, each bull centaur hero = 1 unit.

While I love these sort of things too, the problem is that they really just allow you to take more artillery, not more Bull Centaurs. In Doombull lists, yeah, you see more minos, but they really just wanted more chariots! Maybe a Centaur-only magic item that buffs other centaur units? ie, a slightly cheaper/less-sucky Horn of Kygor?
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby mattbird » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:37 am

lol, just wait a few days, and you'll have the list. Core bull centaurs would be OTT, imo. 2/1 tenderizers would be too, seeing as how no other army gets 2/1 chariots. And with dwarfs, chariots are exceptionally good complements.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Larro » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:47 am

Weakland, wtf are you talking about?

Chariots for BoC are Core, not Special. Your Doombull argument is misplaced.

As for BCs, they're Rare, not Special, and only impact the ES artillery slot. If the guy was a big enough jerk to actually take or want to take 2 Earthshakers, he likely doesn't want BCs anyways, Core or not.

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby mattbird » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:51 am

Larry, in the new playtest list, BCs are moved to Special (which obviously could change). That could be what Weaksauce is commenting on.

-Oldsauce
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Guy In Suit » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:05 am

It was, but yeah that wasn't clear. :oops:

Really I just think placing something in core doesn't provide the incentives one would think. In a more generalized sense: If you wanted to fill all of your special/rare slots with Cav, you could get pretty close to the Cav-themed list you are going for. By having a hero move cav to core, you do allow them to take even more cav if they want, but what you also allow is someone to take min core of effective cav instead of seemingly less effective infantry, and then just max out all their specials/rares as artillery, etc. This encouraging of min-maxing through list-modifying characters seems the norm for 40K but I dunno if it works in fantasy.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Next

Return to General discussion