My Impressions

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

My Impressions

Postby BenTheRat » Wed May 13, 2009 12:08 pm

First thing I noticed was the ton of bound spells. Ok, after I calmed down and started looking at the magic phase, I can see where bad luck really early could just negate it.

I can also see, where if you fail to roll the '1' early the magic can be pretty devastating.
I think the High Priest is really good. If this is for the GT's to use, competitive GT players will always, always, always go with the +1 Init item. Ran some mathhammer yesterday and with the initiative of 4, you can get through turn 6 80% of the time without a worry. This is assuming you stop after you roll 3 1's. Odds are you should roll 2 during each game.

Now the Daemonsmiths are where the wink link is. With their blades running out on a 1, and they take a str 4 hit, that is pretty harsh. Which btw, this should probably ignore armor.

My 2nd thought was, Chaos Dwarfs, have a list now, that is playable. It is considered in the "weak" bracket of armies. Fairly limited in what they can field and very few magic items. Though I saw one on table 1 round 4 at the Austin GT and was the only army to draw the overall winner.
If we are trying to improve the list to make it "weak to medium" in power, then maybe instead of a complete re-write, we should stick to just expanding the current list slightly and build up a magic item section. Just a thought. I will continue on as if this is the new book to be used. But consider it.

I have a lot of comments on all the different units, I'll put those in the specific locations.
But overall I like it.

I'll go ahead and cover special rules here:
1. Gift from Darkness, bleh, thats a dwarf rule, leave it out. Allow daemonsmiths to generate DD.
2. Unyielding, again, dwarf rule, but understand it. I'm not big on this one though.
3. Blunderbuss, not big on shooting friends in this. To skaven like. Perhaps just hobgoblins, but they suffer a panic test for being shot at by their masters. BTW, you might clarify how they shoot if in a building. My guess would be the same as on the Juggernaut.
4. Treacherous Gits, drop it. Stupid rule that is hard to understand. From what I get out of it, Rabble ignore other hobgoblins that cause panic, and yet, all hobgoblins have this rule. Who the hell is ignoring, who. Just drop it.
5. Dirty, Rotten, Sneaky: Love it.

BTW, page 6 and 7 are the same.
Ben The Rat
Tales of Battle
Real Armies
Real Battles

http://www.talesofbattle.com
BenTheRat

Re: My Impressions

Postby mattbird » Thu May 14, 2009 12:14 pm

If we are trying to improve the list to make it "weak to medium" in power, then maybe instead of a complete re-write, we should stick to just expanding the current list slightly and build up a magic item section. Just a thought. I will continue on as if this is the new book to be used. But consider it.

I am starting to lean more this way.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Return to General discussion