The Basic Army Special Rules

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

The Basic Army Special Rules

Postby Hashuts Scion » Sat May 16, 2009 3:37 pm

Since if did not see a separate thread for this, I will mention it here. Mods, if this is already a thread somewhere else, please move it there. Thx.

Slave Lords: All Chaos Dwarfs and Bull Centaurs ignore all panic tests
caused by Hobgoblins and Rabble. This is standard and ok

Gift from Darkness: an army of Chaos Dwarfs add a further 2 dispel dice to their dispel pool in enemy
magic phases, for a total of 4 dispel dice. So now I am more of a dwarf army...

Unyielding: Chaos Dwarf units may make a march move even when enemy units are close enough to prevent march moves. Additionally, Chaos Dwarfs flee and pursue 2d6-1
Hashuts Scion

Re: The Basic Army Special Rules

Postby Zazoo » Mon May 18, 2009 1:53 am

i was thinking about what would make CD different to Dwarves and I remember CD having MR a long time a ago, so my suggestion is:

Remove the +2 DD that is the same as dwarves and make all Chaos Dwaves and Bull centaurs MR1.
Dont argue with idiots they bring you down to thier level and beat you with experiance!!
Zazoo

Postby Hashuts Scion » Mon May 18, 2009 6:19 am

I've been thinking it over further about how to handle large targets without affecting characters. So, to revise the BB rules simply, roll a number of dice equal to the number of bases in the fire zone. All 20 and 25 mm and 25x50 mm size bases are 1 die, 40mm are 3 dice, and 50 mm are 6 dice.
Hashuts Scion

Postby Guy In Suit » Mon May 18, 2009 11:26 am

US is the best way to fix the blunder bus issue as it is clearly defined for all model types.

I personally think to keep them from being such a no brainer, only the armour save modifier should go up with rank bonuses, not strength.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Sergrum » Mon May 18, 2009 12:35 pm

I dont think blunderbusses need more hits vs more US. Not only do i feel bad for ogres, but in an army that has 30 pt 2for 1 BTs and stone throwers for rare, as well as the ability for mass cheap shooting i dont think we need to aid to the fact that the army should be more shooty.
Sergrum

Postby Guy In Suit » Mon May 18, 2009 1:09 pm

I agree Alex, which is why they should be S3 all the time :mrgreen:
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby BenTheRat » Mon May 18, 2009 11:38 pm

One idea might be to let all of them fire up to the first 4 ranks.

So 12" range, str 3 AP. No minuses for moving and shooting or long range.

So 5x4 unit of blunderbusses get 20 str 3 shots. Get rid of the whole template thing anyway, I hate templates.
Ben The Rat
Tales of Battle
Real Armies
Real Battles

http://www.talesofbattle.com
BenTheRat

Postby DarkbloodSkullpulper » Tue May 19, 2009 12:37 am

I think the CD special rules are good as they are. 4 DD should be standard if the HP/bound item mechanics are kept as they currently are envisaged.

I'd add hatred of dwarves, though that may be unfair because dwarves don't get a chance to hate us back. Could that be added as another special rule, that Dwarves hate Chaos Dwarves. I'm not sure if it is kosher to change another army's special rules via something that isn't their army book...

The blunderbuss rules are good as is, and they have history to back them up. It's a much needed change to allow friendly units to be hit. I'd rather keep the kill box as is for stand and shoot, though. It'd be cool to bring back the 3rd ed. "concentrating fire" rule, though I forget how it worked, except that it allowed more than a single shot to be taken against single targets like a dragon. A number of shots equal to US doesn't seem good enough, perhaps it should be d6 shots per rank at S3.
DarkbloodSkullpulper

Postby Hashuts Scion » Tue May 19, 2009 6:07 am

Well, we can't have it both ways its seems. The one large problem with BBs is with large creatures (and certain formations like the Bretonnians), then very few hits are likely. It seems strange to me that those on 40mm or larger bases can only ever receive one hit (if lucky), but the flip side is the fire zone versus ranked infantry is devastating. A ranked unit numbering 20 or more, can expect 10 hits and depending upon the ranks of BB and Ts of defenders, anywhere from 3-8 wounds on the average. Nice.
Hashuts Scion

Postby Matt » Wed May 20, 2009 1:52 am

DarkbloodSkullpulper wrote:I think the CD special rules are good as they are. 4 DD should be standard if the HP/bound item mechanics are kept as they currently are envisaged.

I'd add hatred of dwarves, though that may be unfair because dwarves don't get a chance to hate us back. Could that be added as another special rule, that Dwarves hate Chaos Dwarves. I'm not sure if it is kosher to change another army's special rules via something that isn't their army book...

I love that I can now build a more effective Goblin army; call it "chaos dwarves" and get 2 dispel dice for free. :D

I almost like the MR idea. The problem is, the game changing spells that I remember aren't, "Take 2D6 S4 hits!" it is the "I target that unit of Black Knight, they get to charge you in the magic phase!". MR just doesn't do enough to cover the lack of normal dispel dice. The MR vs Free Dispel Dice is very tied into the magic phase. I'm going to keep pushing for normal magic. It just seems better for a "mid to low tier army".

On the Hate, go ahead, give them the hate. Dwarves hate orcs. Orcs... well, orcs just get smacked around. Dwarves don't hate chaos dwarves. They can't hate them, they erased them from history and pretend they don't exist. Chaos dwarves on the other hand, remember being left high and dry, abandoned and disowned. It sounds like a perfect reason to give Chaos dwarves hate, and not normal dwarves.
Dwarves do hate half your army, just not the "chaos dwarf" part.

-Matt
Matt

Next

Return to General discussion