My thoughts on the list

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

My thoughts on the list

Postby Urgat » Wed May 27, 2009 6:23 pm

Hello there, i'm new to this board. I was posting on Warseer, but I figured it'd be more handy for you if I were to post here instead. I haven't looked deeply into it yet, but I already have a couple remarks I thought I'd share.

First, just a cosmetic change. The juggernaugt siege tower needs its name changed. It's really silly to have two things named the same in the same armylist. It's not like names are rare to choose from. I suggest something like Leviathan or (would be my choice) Behemoth siege tower instead. Makes things less messy, if each thing has its own name.

Second thought. Seems one of the ideas behind the list is to dig out old models to give them rules (like the swivel gun, siege tower, etc). Well I got those nifty bazooka dwarfs, wouldn't it be possible to have those as weapon options for blunderbuss unit champions (ala hochland long rifle upgrade)? With a simple rule, like a roll to hit, then small template placed if it hits?

Third thought. I can't help but think the blunderbusses are... awkward. The whole idea was good (I mean, from the begining, WD presents, etc), but, well, it's just not streamlined enough to be enjoyable, imho... Maybe it'd be a good idea to just clean the slate and rethink the unit from the begining?
Same with the slaves (rabble), they kind of conflict with the hobgob units. Certainly there's a way to keep them as an interesting entry, maybe some sort of detachment option or something?

Back to the jugg tower. I've seen people pointing out it was too complicated, well, I feel almost awkward but I have to say I agree :uriel: (sorry). Its rules feel like the charriot rules from 5th edition and earlier, something that GW has stepped away from. I think a simple profile, with two shooting weapons (breath weapon and some 1D6+2 shots ranged weapon maybe? Allowed to target two different units) would be simpler. Make it a monstruous mount (takes up rare slot though, coz that thing is kindda brutal) if you want characters to be able to ride in it?

About magic, I have a problem with that "Hail hashut!" spell. It's too much of a no brainer, really. Every magic phase will start with that spell.

Last thing for now... where do the golems come from? I don't remember anything like it, so I was wondering...
Urgat

Re: My thoughts on the list

Postby mattbird » Wed May 27, 2009 7:57 pm

thanks for the feedback, and welcome to the boards!

The golems are all-new. It was a much-wished for unit from a bunch of places.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Urgat » Thu May 28, 2009 3:41 am

Ok, I see :)

I got a silly idea for the blunderbusses, I know it won't be popular and will just be ignored, but what the heck, I may as well post it since it's a feedback/suggestion forum:
the thing about CD compard to normal dwarfs is that they're more mobile, so I thought it could be translated into one of the CD units themselves:

Chaos Dwarf weapon team:
Statline remains the same.
Skirmishers
Unit size 5-10
Blunderbuss rules:
Range 12", may move and shoot, no malus for moving, long range or against skirmishers (you don't really need to aim with blunderbusses). A blunderbuss does 1D3 shots at S1 (strenght one). Each model in the unit adds +1 to the strenght of the weapon to a maximum of 6.
One of the chaos dwarfs may be upgraded to champion. A champion may take a rocket launcher in addition to his blunderbuss. The champion may use the rocket launcher as long as there's one another dwarf in the unit. If the champion ends up being the last man (dwarf) standing in the unit, he must use his blunderbuss instead.
Rocket launcher:
Range 18", move or shoot. Place the small template and roll the scater dice and 1D6. With a hit on the scater dice, the rocket hits home, otherwise it deviates according to the scatter dice and the D6. The mini on the center of the template takes a S6 hit w/o save. The other minis partly under the template take a S3 hit on a 4+

"braces for impact"

And while I'm at it:

Rabble:
bought as an option for CD warrior and Obsidian guard:
two profiles:
-Worthess good
goblin profile, no armor, hand weapon, 20mm base (gob/elf/human/skink/etc slaves)
-Valuable good
-orc profile, no armor, hand weapon, 25mm base (orc, marauder, stripped chaos warrior, saurus, etc)

Skirmisher, unit size 10-20 (including hobgoblin slavedriver), animosity
Rabble units are always led by an hobgoblin slavedriver.
Slave driver: normal hobgob stats, equiped with a whip (hand weapon).
special rules: if the rabble unit rolls 1 on animosity, the slave driver kills one of the slaves (remove one of the slaves) to bring back order; roll on animosity again: if that second roll is a one again, the slaves rebel, kill the hobgob and flee (unit removed from the battlefield).
If the hobgob is effectively wounded (in melee or from a ranged attack), roll a dice for each wound inflicted: on a 4+, the hobgoblin pushes a slave in the path, remove a slave instead.
If the slavedriver is ever to be killed, the slaves run for their lives (unit removed). The slave driver may elect to remain in a back "rank" of his unit when charging an enemy
Slave casualties do not count in the result of a combat for other units besides other slave and hobgoblin units.
A rabble unit must be deployed 3" away maximum from the unit that bought it as an option, then is free to move as it wants. A destroyed/fleeing slave unit only grants half its VP unless the mother unit is destroyed.

"doesn't brace for impact anymore, runs instead".

edit: on more thing, about Gorduz backstabber; the blorc rebellion happened in -100 (Sigmar's calendar), so he's probably long gone... Might want to change his background a bit and put it in past tense.
Urgat

Postby mattbird » Thu May 28, 2009 3:12 pm

Urgat wrote:Well I got those nifty bazooka dwarfs, wouldn't it be possible to have those as weapon options for blunderbuss unit champions (ala hochland long rifle upgrade)? With a simple rule, like a roll to hit, then small template placed if it hits?

I think the idea behind the name change from Swivel Guns to Eruption Guns was that you could then field all 3 of the oddball small weapon teams from 3rd ed as "eruption guns"- swivel cannon, bazooka guns, and those tiny mortars.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Return to General discussion