Why no orcs?

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Why no orcs?

Postby DarkbloodSkullpulper » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:40 pm

As a long-time greenskin player, I've always thought that the boyz would make less than optimal slaves. Hell, they don't do what I want when I'm the Warboss, so why would they behave for a bunch of stunties? Still, it added some extra juice to my battles vs. the big hats, and I like to think that the boyz performed that much better in a burst of revolutionary fervor.

That being said, is there a reason why this revised list does not have the option for orcs, goblins, or black orcs? Is it driven by the fluff in the Warhammer novels, pure gameplay reasons, or a logical conclusion similar to my own. Have the orcs officially escaped the yoke of Hatshut?
DarkbloodSkullpulper

Re: Why no orcs?

Postby Border Reiver » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:31 pm

The greenskins are still there, but are now rabble.

All the fighting spirit has been properly beaten out of the slaves, and the orcs are no longer as well fed or sturdy (less food then they're used to).

The black orcs were generally not worth keeping as slaves (too rebellious), and the large tribes have been driven away to the west, out of our lands so they can foment less trouble.

Or at least that's how I see it.
Border Reiver

Postby KevinC » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:20 pm

Hi,

Regarding greenskins, I wanted to do two things. First, I want the list to be more about the Chaos Dwarfs themselves, and if you have every type of Goblinoid (i.e. Orcs, Black Orcs, Goblins, Hobgoblins, etc) it takes away from all that.

Two, I did not want to get rid of all the greenies either. Hobgoblins are a very colour element in the Chaos Dwarf list and they are not featured in the O&G list, so I wanted to keep them. But also since the Hobgoblins are the overseers of all the Goblinoid slaves and I understand Chaos Dwarf players have greenskin models in their collections, I wanted a way to include other Gobs - enter Rabble. Originally, the option was that the player could choose to mount Rabble on either 20mm or 25mm bases so that they could use either Orcs or Goblins to represent Rabble. In version 3 of the list I've changes this to simply 20mm, however. But if players prefer the other way let me know...

Kevin out
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Postby Hashuts Scion » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:31 pm

KevinC wrote:Hi,

Originally, the option was that the player could choose to mount Rabble on either 20mm or 25mm bases so that they could use either Orcs or Goblins to represent Rabble. In version 3 of the list I've changes this to simply 20mm, however. But if players prefer the other way let me know...

Kevin out

I think the inclusion of which greenskin to include as rabble would be nice. I agree the leadership would be low either way, as they have been beaten down, but instead of the generic goblin, the option to include the generic orc would be nice, even if they are a point or two higher in cost. BUT since you would like to have it backed up in playtest, I will try out a unit of each and let you know.
Hashuts Scion

Postby Renufus » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:48 pm

Hashuts Scion wrote:
KevinC wrote:Hi,

Originally, the option was that the player could choose to mount Rabble on either 20mm or 25mm bases so that they could use either Orcs or Goblins to represent Rabble. In version 3 of the list I've changes this to simply 20mm, however. But if players prefer the other way let me know...

Kevin out

I think the inclusion of which greenskin to include as rabble would be nice. I agree the leadership would be low either way, as they have been beaten down, but instead of the generic goblin, the option to include the generic orc would be nice, even if they are a point or two higher in cost. BUT since you would like to have it backed up in playtest, I will try out a unit of each and let you know.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 25mm version of rabble return. I've tried to get those Orc slaves onto a 20mm base but it just ain't happening.
Renufus

Postby Matt » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:28 am

Renufus wrote: I've tried to get those Orc slaves onto a 20mm base but it just ain't happening.

Put them on two 20mm bases and use them as filler.

If you want a rabble unit, I'd mix snotings in with goblins and an orc or two. It looks more rabble like.

-Matt
Matt

Postby Renufus » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:02 am

Matt wrote:
Renufus wrote: I've tried to get those Orc slaves onto a 20mm base but it just ain't happening.

Put them on two 20mm bases and use them as filler.

If you want a rabble unit, I'd mix snotings in with goblins and an orc or two. It looks more rabble like.

-Matt

So let me see if I've got this straight. Rather than have a few small words under the unit entry allowing Rabble to be placed on 20 or 25mm bases, you think I should go out and spend $60 on Goblins and Snotlings that I would otherwise have no use for, paint them, base them, and then chuck out the Orcs I've already bought, painted and based?

Seriously?
Renufus

Postby WickerNipple » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:24 am

Renufus wrote:[

So let me see if I've got this straight. Rather than have a few small words under the unit entry allowing Rabble to be placed on 20 or 25mm bases, you think I should go out and spend $60 on Goblins and Snotlings that I would otherwise have no use for, paint them, base them, and then chuck out the Orcs I've already bought, painted and based?

Seriously?

It's the perfect GW inspired solution. Clearly we've finally channeled the spirit of their game design!
WickerNipple

Postby KevinC » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:39 pm

Well, when I first came up with 20 OR 25 mm bases for rabble, it was so that established Chaos Dwarf players could still use any of their greenskin models as Rabble, a brilliant idea if I do say so myself ;) . I switched it to 20 mm bases only in version 3, simply because it does seem a bit odd to have either base, because this is a fan list, I don't want to make extremely drastic moves.

But what is the over all consensus on Rabble bases, you guys would prefer just 20mm or the option of 20 or 25mm?

Thanks,

Kevin out
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Postby Border Reiver » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:25 pm

The option - allows all us old fanboys and girls to use our old greenskin slave models, regardless of the race of the original beastie.
Border Reiver

Next

Return to General discussion