Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Thoughts on V3

Postby mattbird » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:28 pm

Overall I think it is close. The power level feels about right
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Re: Thoughts on V3

Postby Renufus » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:40 pm

Agreed with pretty much everything you've said, Matt. The list is close, it's just a few little things that need fixing now. To be honest, I wasn't sold on the bound spell casting at first but I actually rather like it now (minus the part where a Daemonsmith's casting can be punked out by a Vaul's Unmaking/Law of Gold - it should be an intrinsic part of the Daemonsmith and not tied to his weapon). The spells are all useful in their own way and it feels like a much more versatile lore in general. I'm excited to give it a try.

The only things I don't like are the Sneaky Gits, which should either skirmish or have some kind of rule for terrain movement, and Obsidian Guard, which just don't feel right to me and are fraught with internal synergy problems. Fear causing doesn't mean much if you're 15pts apiece, and S6 doesn't mean much when you've got killing blow. Aside from these two units I'm quite happy and would just make little tweaks like you suggested (especially in the case of Hobgoblin Archers - they really need help).
Renufus

Postby Dedwrekka » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:35 pm

So, Rykarth's rules? What does "Commander of the Obsidian Guard" do?
Dedwrekka

Postby mattbird » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:42 pm

No clue! waiting for Kevin to write it.... he's just in there for position only at the moment.
mattbird

Postby KevinC » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:17 pm

Oops, not Rykarth's rules are written....

Commander of the Obsidian Guard
Rykarth must be deployed within a unit of Obsidian Guard at the beginning of the game. This unit is Rykarth
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Postby Border Reiver » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:57 am

I concur with MattC's suggestions with the exception of the Daemoneater and the points increase for the Annihilators.

Annihilators should remain as they are. The issue of a minimum size to concentrate fire is sound and the suggestion (must be firve models wide to concentrate fire) is appropriate.

Daemoneater - right now it is too expensive points wise. It costs more than a chaos warrior chariot, has one less wound and is far less effective since it does not have regular attacks, and if attacked from the side or rear it can do nothing. I realize that the impact hits in rounds it does not charge allow it to go before even ASF units, but the present cost is simply too high. the price used in V2 was appropriate for its abilities.
Border Reiver

Postby mattbird » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:07 am

The daemoneater can fight to the side, FYI, just not the rear.
mattbird

Postby Murdock » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:26 am

There are numerous little things throughout that I think need fixing, or further playtesting to bear out:

Special Rules

Murdock

Postby mattbird » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:59 am

Murdock wrote:the magic phase could work very well in this manner, I actually quite like playing it quite a bit, it is very interesting, and I think magic without a High Priest is even viable. Demonsmiths should absolutely be able to use magic weapons and keep their innate abilities as well. But, as you stated, given the nature of this project, sticking with the known lore and dice based casting is the mechanic that should be aimed for.

Seeing as how you have direct authority on the legality of the list, do you feel that we must just switch back to "normal", end of story? Or should we test this new V3 magic system first and then see?
mattbird

Postby Larro » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:26 pm

Agree w/ almost everything Birdoff said, particularly about HG archers being minimum 10 and Golems being 55 pts.

However, I've said it a thousand times, but the Demoneater is just not viable at the current points cost. Make it in line with the other chariots, i.e. 130 pts., 4 wounds, and you've got a winner.

Also, WTF is up with raising Blunderbuss beyond 12?? They're 12 in the current book, which is a much more shooty/magic oriented list, and now you want to up them to 13 or 14?? What the hell is the big deal with these guys? They go down easily in HTH, they're still slow, and their only extra use is that they do shoot single volley S3 shots - big deal! Seriously, I see no reason to go more than 12 on these guys.

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Next

Return to General discussion