My impression of the Dwarfs of Chaos

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

My impression of the Dwarfs of Chaos

Postby Renufus » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:53 am

First off, a big thanks to Kev and Matt for organizing this project. I was beginning to lose interest in my Chaos Dwarfs before, and I hope the idea really takes off after playtesting and GW takes notice. I wouldn't be surprised if by September this list sees more playtesting than anything GW has put out in the last few years (seriously, who fell asleep at the wheel for Daemons?). Despite only being out for little more than a month, I feel that the final product could be pretty close to where it is now and still be a balanced, fun, competitive army. With that said, I'll get to what I think of the list after playing with it for a few weeks:

-The magic is great. It's reliable, it's effective, it's useful. At the same time, it's not overwhelming since nothing is likely to be cast with anything higher than a 9 at best (barring unusual circumstances like a mega-battle where you have several Hail Hashut!s going), and the spells themselves are not game winners. Reminds me of a Tomb King magic phase, except a bit more versatile and much less relentless. Kudos for finding a way to make an alternate casting system work.

-The internal balance is great. Most everything has a role and adds something unique to the army. The only thing I still don't think is right is the Rabble-Hobgoblins issue. I don't think it would be a bad thing to give Hobgoblins the Rabble's old Worthless Maggots rule (maybe call it something different though). There just needs to be more of a reason to take Hobgoblins, not only in comparison to Rabble, but in the context of the entire list. Having Rabble be the cheap throwaway slaves and Hobgoblins the massive cheap-ish blocks of walking CR would give both units a defined role. Even if their base cost was bumped up by one point I would still take a unit of 25 with shields, a banner and musician if they didn't give away that extra +100VP. Maybe this is something I could playtest and report back about? Rabble could also probably stand to lose either the armour or the shields option to really drive the point home that these guys are supposed to die.

Oh, and Hobgoblin Archers really need to be their own 10+ unit, but this has already been brought up plenty of times elsewhere.

-I like that the list has built-in strengths and weaknesses and you can build any kind of army you want from the given rules while still being able to use all those nostalgic models. In general, I notice that Chaos Dwarfs suffer from having lots of terrain on the table and they have a tough time with skirmishers, scouts, and the like. Their long-ranged supporting fire for the war machines is limited at best and they can have a tough time dealing with really powerful magic phases. However, the troops are tough as nails for the most part and unlike dwarfs benefit a lot from having faster units like Wolves and Centaurs. Given a few tweaks here and there, it's a solid mid-tier army at best.

-A few things may need a small points break like Golems and Daemoneaters but overall I think the pricing is right where it should be in comparison to other books. Again, a few tweaks here or there and we're in business.

In general, I really like the way this is shaping up. It gives me a reason to get excited about my Chaos Dwarfs again. I haven't been this happy as a Chaos Dwarf player since I got into the game back in the late 90's. Back then you could get a 3000 point Chaos Dwarf force on Ebay for around $200 and GW still sold the entire range through their online store. *sigh* Truly, those were the golden years...
Renufus

Re: My impression of the Dwarfs of Chaos

Postby mattbird » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:40 am

thanks for the feedback and kind words!

Back then you could get a 3000 point Chaos Dwarf force on Ebay for around $200 and GW still sold the entire range through their online store. *sigh* Truly, those were the golden years...

tell me about it. I recall my first GT, back when they used to sell bitz. I wanted to order a ton of hobgoblins, which were $3 each at the time. I asked the guy at the counter if he could give me a deal on them. He said "Sure! How about $1 each?"

I bought 200. :)

GW these days? forget it.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Re: My impression of the Dwarfs of Chaos

Postby KevinC » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:43 pm

Ditto, thanks for all the kind words and all your feedback so far! I'm really glad that this project is getting you excited about CDs!

I don't think it would be a bad thing to give Hobgoblins the Rabble's old Worthless Maggots rule (maybe call it something different though).

--------Hmmm, I really like this suggestion!

Kevin out
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Return to General discussion