Something to try for Hobgoblins....

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Re: Something to try for Hobgoblins....

Postby Larro » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:23 pm

I don't know a game size in the rulebook where you're not allowed ANY Heroes at all, and I think in those cases, you need to actually purchase a Hero to be your General. I'm 99% sure a unit champion can't be your General, even in small games, though this may be a house rule or some tiny-game exception I'm not familiar with. Even in games under 1000 pts., you can buy 1 Hero, and I think you become "forced" to, to be your General.

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby Renufus » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:24 pm

Hashuts Scion wrote:BRB?

Big Red Book aka the rulebook.

I have played in games of 1000 points where only unit champions existed. So, maybe this is our group's interpretation, but we have played where the highest character, including champions, is the general. BUT, I can see your point. The rules do state that champions are not characters. So, has this been completely clarified by FAQ or 'official ruling'?' Otherwise, we have a situation where, at a certain point level, a champion is indeed the general and sometimes he is not. A one-sentence ruling that claifies this would be appreciative.

No clarification needed - unless you're playing a skirmish/warband game, there MUST be at least one character in the army to act as a general. Champions do not count even if they have the highest Ld in the army. It's all in the rulebook.
Renufus

Postby Aves » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:52 pm

Cons od 20 man units of hobgobbos, , numbers? Is it difficult to make a line of how many u want and put rest in the back, 100pts is what usualy 10 ranged models costs, 10 models=10 wounds, 20 models 20 wounds, minimum 5 that have to die to cause panic.
Aves

Postby Border Reiver » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:12 pm

Only elves and dwarfs have basic missile troops cost that much. Humans are 6-8 pts each, orcs are 6, gobbos are cheaper. And with the exception of gobbos and night gobbos, all have a minimum unit size of 10.
Border Reiver

Postby Matt » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:33 am

Can I have the dwarves just mug the hobgoblins and steal those pimped out glasses?
Dwarves would really like to be WS5 and Init 3.

-Matt
Matt

Postby DarkbloodSkullpulper » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:27 am

Matt wrote:Can I have the dwarves just mug the hobgoblins and steal those pimped out glasses?
Dwarves would really like to be WS5 and Init 3.

-Matt

I could see why the wolf riders might need the glasses, what with the need to scout the Chaos Waste and all that entails, but I'm not sure that the item upgrade makes sense for foot troops.

There should be a downside, so perhaps if this upgrade is chosen, a failed animosity test will cause a charge at the nearest visible unit, friendly or enemy. But there I go with adding more special rules...

If these do get used, I'd suggest changing the text to make it much less of a useful gadget and more like a dangerous experimental prcedure, like taking optics infused with parasitic daemon essence and welding them directly to the hobgoblin's face. It would explain why the dwarves themselves don't take advantage of this wondrous technology, and one could understand it causing a little hostility in the experimental subjects...
DarkbloodSkullpulper

Previous

Return to General discussion